Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Ken Rosenthal moves to The Athletic. They have quite the stable of writers there, will be interesting to see if people are willing to pay to read their stories.

That's fantastic. I've been thinking more and more about joining but this seals it.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Well the chief concern now from the media who's coverage ESPN was specifically trying to avoid is that this kind of nonsense makes political correctness look bad, and now ESPN is to blame for that.

The issue here is a media that wants to be treated like the fourth estate with cringe worthy taglines like "Democracy dies in darkness", but in practice just patrols the depths for petty mistakes to make mountainous issues out of. And now that every organization with a brand has caught up to this and is trying to stay ahead of it, the media is now acting like "aww that? Oh come on we'd NEVER say anything about Robert Lee doing a UVA game" when it is almost certain they would.

The reality is your strong reaction is what is fueling this type of content. If you want this type of stuff to stop, stop reading it, stop viewing it, stop talking about it, stop reacting to it. It's a numbers game and obviously given the discussion around it, this did well for the outlets that reported on it. Whether you like that they did or not, they are benefiting.

Frankly, I don't know why people are upset about this either way. I find it somewhat amusing that this coincidence happened to ESPN and that they thought to move him off the game. It's not really relevant enough to get worked up over, yet I see so many people did.

Did anyone hear Chuck from St. Charles on the Bernstein and Goff show the other day? The dude was extremely prejudice and borderline racist and Goff went off on him. Goff has been off the air since but I confirmed with him on Twitter that he hasn't been suspended. Take a listen.

Of course, this lit off a bunch of firecrackers with people on Facebook and on the text line, people who are probably too afraid to call in with uneducated and ignorant viewpoints.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
Did anyone hear Chuck from St. Charles on the Bernstein and Goff show the other day? The dude was extremely prejudice and borderline racist and Goff went off on him. Goff has been off the air since but I confirmed with him on Twitter that he hasn't been suspended. Take a listen.

Of course, this lit off a bunch of firecrackers with people on Facebook and on the text line, people who are probably too afraid to call in with uneducated and ignorant viewpoints.

stare.png

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Ken Rosenthal moves to The Athletic. They have quite the stable of writers there, will be interesting to see if people are willing to pay to read their stories.

Their subscription is like $4 a month and it's the best content in the city. I always recommend it to everyone. I usually just have my wife or someone buy that and BA for me for Xmas or birthdays.

My friend is helping launch a new CFB project for the Athletic on Monday and they're doing 3.99/month and free tee giveaway if you sign up this weekend. Believe the athletic price is going up to its normal price soon as this week (i believe Monday). Heres the new project promotion link

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?plan_id=4...ale=allamerican

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
To put it simply, was Goff wrong in that segment? And was Chuck given a fair shake to talk? Just curious because people seem to think the show is too liberal.

Chuck said dumb s*** and GnB both rightfully called him out.

Chuck says he isn't racist then says racist stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Only listened because I was curious, but I actually enjoyed Mac's first podcast. He just rants for 40 minutes but I'll keep listening. He'll have guests and stuff on. I kind of like a Chicago sports show that is less than an hour long.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
ESPN gone off the deep end.

Jemele Hill calls the POTUS and his administration "white supremacists" and the people that voted for him were bigots. She was not suspended.

Linda Cohn says ESPN has gotten too political. She was suspended.

Rabbit I agree and knew this would be how it would turn out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
"To prove we are not white supremacists, we are demanding you fire a black woman"

Rabbit didn't say to fire her. She should be fired though for hosting the worst hour of a show in tv history. The six is absolutely abhorrent and doing terrible ratings. It's howdoyoudofellowkids come to real life.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
Rabbit didn't say to fire her. She should be fired though for hosting the worst hour of a show in tv history. The six is absolutely abhorrent and doing terrible ratings. It's howdoyoudofellowkids come to real life.

It seemed like he was making the statement as if it was from the White House, not rabbit

I'm old so I don't watch ESPN or MTV.

I watch AMC, History and Discovery.

I am not quite old enough to watch Fox News or CNN unless there is a breaking something.

Maybe my head is a little in the sand but I like it there and have enough to worry about getting through the day and trying to find Charlie Tilson.