Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Yes he is. And he's the one bringing in the dough for ESPN.

Is he? I didn't think First Take was still getting good ratings

Keeping SAS is exactly why espn is where they are. They appreciate the nonsense and filter out the reality

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
Is he? I didn't think First Take was still getting good ratings

Keeping SAS is exactly why espn is where they are. They appreciate the nonsense and filter out the reality

I went from watching ESPN in the morning to The Weather Channel and CBNC. It was almost insulting to watch EPSN for any period of time anymore.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Does he though? That's the obvious reason people think he's still around but it's not like anything he does brings in a ton of viewers.

https://sportstvratings.com/pardon-the-inte...l-14-2017/7975/

PTI, Around the Horn and Sportscenter do better in the 18-40 demo. I don't know why he's paid so well, only bringing in 242k viewers in that demo and 391k total.

edit: and btw, that's still an alarming number of people that can sit through his asinine shtick.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
https://sportstvratings.com/pardon-the-inte...l-14-2017/7975/

PTI, Around the Horn and Sportscenter do better in the 18-40 demo. I don't know why he's paid so well, only bringing in 242k viewers in that demo and 391k total.

edit: and btw, that's still an alarming number of people that can sit through his asinine shtick.

I'm convinced 1/4 have to have fallen asleep on the couch or left their TV or cable box on when they left for work.

don't listen to 670 much anymore but figured with the draft coming up I would tune in to see their view on the what the Bears might do. As soon as I tuned in i heard Bernstein say, "the NFL continues Red Square style military flyovers." Really? Usually 1 or 2 aircraft flying over a stadium wreaks of communism? good thing I tuned in there to remind me why I don't listen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
don't listen to 670 much anymore but figured with the draft coming up I would tune in to see their view on the what the Bears might do. As soon as I tuned in i heard Bernstein say, "the NFL continues Red Square style military flyovers." Really? Usually 1 or 2 aircraft flying over a stadium wreaks of communism? good thing I tuned in there to remind me why I don't listen.

He hates it because most of Military acknowledgement in the NFL is staged and paid for. He goes overboard a lot but that point is part of a larger complaint he has

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
He hates it because most of Military acknowledgement in the NFL is staged and paid for. He goes overboard a lot but that point is part of a larger complaint he has

I know I've heard his spiel before. Doesn't make for good sports talk.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
some background reading on that "paid patriotism"

http://deadspin.com/these-teams-earned-the...d-pa-1740567338

Good for the teams for getting creative revenue streams. Although, if you notice not one mention of the flyovers. I don't think these are actually included. From the article it's only the on field type tributes.

I don't think Bernstein was going for his "military advertising" bent, I think it is just is anti-authoritarian speil.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)

It wreaks of authoritarianism. Remember, those planes own you.

I appreciate the military, but a bought and paid for demonstration of military might is kind of silly, IMHO.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
It wreaks of authoritarianism. Remember, those planes own you.

I appreciate the military, but a bought and paid for demonstration of military might is kind of silly, IMHO.

The flyovers aren't bought. I also prefer to think that those planes protect you but it's all in your point of view.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Intentional Talk is going to start airing on ESPN, allowing them to dissolve their baseball analysts to save money.

I personally hope no one chooses to watch Intentional Talk on ESPN over MLB Network.

I currently don't have a choice :'(

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Its official that Baseball Tonight is a weekly show?

Yes. The last time I watched Baseball Tonight, Jim Bowden told me that Chris Sale was traded to Washington for Victor Robles, Lucas Giolito, and 2 low level minor leaguers. The next day, he was traded to Boston.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Intentional Talk is going to start airing on ESPN, allowing them to dissolve their baseball analysts to save money.

I personally hope no one chooses to watch Intentional Talk on ESPN over MLB Network.

Interesting concept, especially given that ESPN has more viewership and that helps MLB generate more revenue to spread their content, etc.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 1, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
Woj to ESPN per the Score. That is a big hire for the four letter network. Woj has basically been owning ESPN for a long time in the realm of NBA player transactions

Terminate a bunch of people so that you can hire the highest priced FA writer out there.