Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Karl Ravech going to have a significantly reduced role. Storm and Russilo are in the same boat. Ravech is the man...nostalgia from when BBTN was the best darn show on tv.

Ravech would be great on MLB Network

Jim Bowden is gone. I guess the deal was if you took half of what was left on your contract, you would be free to go anywhere right away. If you wouldn't do that, they were just going to bury you until your contract was up. Ravech and Hannah obviously chose the later.

So while this is sad in a way, these people aren't exactly like at will employees who just walk in to work one day and find out they no longer are employed, and get a crappy severance if one at all. Most of these people should be fine financially for at least a while.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Jayson Stark was let go. That's surprising to say the least.

Wow what a day for a network that was once considered the giants of sports coverage. Maybe they still are?

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Wow what a day for a network that was once considered the giants of sports coverage. Maybe they still are?

I don't watch ESPN at all anymore. I don't remember the last time I watch SportsCenter or any show on ESPN outside of a game.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I don't watch ESPN at all anymore. I don't remember the last time I watch SportsCenter or any show on ESPN outside of a game.

Yep, me too. And there are tens of millions more that are the same. Other than the actual games, there's very little reason for ESPN to exist. Sportscenter isn't necessary anymore. There's 100 other ways to get your sports information.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
I'll every now and then just default to ESPN as background noise but ya, I can't remember the last time I've actually sat down and watched something on the station(outside of 30 for 30's).

I don't watch unless there is a game on. I'd rather watch NFL, MLB, or NBA Networks.

I feel the way most of you do. I only watch ESPN if a game is on, or a 30 for 30 here and there.

Otherwise, it's MLB network QuickPitch in the morning before work during the season, or sportsman channel during the off season.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
Otherwise, it's MLB network QuickPitch in the morning before work during the season, or sportsman channel during the off season.

Heidi Watney is my AM girlfriend.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
You had a good day then. Some of these guys will be on those networks almost immediately.

I don't wish anyone to lose their jobs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
But Steven A Smith is still safe... LMAO.

Isnt he one of their most recognizable figures though? People who dont follow sports even know who he is.

Not that I am in anyway condoning keeping that knucklehead but a big part of media is hiring personalities and no one can argue that he doesnt have a huge personality. Hes an idiot and has no substance to his ranting but still has a huge personality that is marketable.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
They have clearly prioritized uninformed people yelling at each other over real sports journalism.

I think part of it is, like many companies, they are cutting away some of the old guard (which is typically more expensive) and looking into alternative options / fresher names to develop new talent (which is less expensive) while still keeping key personalities that create eye balls. Part of this is the fact that sports highlights alone are consumed so much differently, so you need to diversify even more so with personality / flair.

Stark / Ravech will probably end up at MLB (but likely get paycuts, etc).