Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
Yeah, that was the last sports show I can think of in Chicago that didn't have an adversarial feel, or one of the guys just making up reasons to argue. It really seemed like three dudes just shooting the breeze.

Except one dude wouldn't stop bragging about all the B-list celebrities he had hanging out in his extra fancy basement man cave. Come to think of it, Danny Mac basically became Mike North at the end.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
Except one dude wouldn't stop bragging about all the B-list celebrities he had hanging out in his extra fancy basement man cave. Come to think of it, Danny Mac basically became Mike North at the end.

Danny Mac talking about his HS football career making him an expert on all things football was a little Al Bundy-like.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:59 AM)
I love when they interview Steve Stone and occasional Sox players. The Steve Stone ones are especially good listens.

They had Davidson on the other day and he was also a good listen.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
Chris Boden‏ @BodenTweets 4h4 hours ago Got asked to turn in my CSN playbook (waived/released). Grateful for 10 yrs there. Hope to find new home & report again for you soon.

Chris is one of, if not thee, best sports anchors in Chicago. Professional and smooth. I got to intern for him and he was awesome. CSN's loss.

Mac starting a podcast. How long do we give it?

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
I was wondering, how much money is in podcasting?

I don't think Mac will be getting the six figure salary he got from ESPN and The SCORE, but it's still a paycheck.

All about listenership. Once Blue Apron makes an offer, you know you've made it.

I did research on it last year and unless you can get companies like MidRoll to help you, it's tough making money. And they only help big timers like PodcastOne and Bill Simmons.

You'd need about 5000 downloads per show to make anything and I don't think Mac has that following anymore.

There is absolutely no doubt Deadspin would've lampooned ESPN for putting Robert Lee on a UVA game. That's the real issue to me, ESPN did this because they (like every other business in this country with a public image to protect) are extorted constantly by a media obsessed with micro aggressions. Now they are officially in damned-if-do-damned-if-yoi-dont territory, just like everyone else.

What a ridiculous move by ESPN. I can't imagine a single person cared that there was someone named "Robert Lee" who was going to be covering that UVA game.

edit: eh maybe not a "ridiculous" move, pretty much agree with bmags' take below thinking about it a bit more

Edited by StrangeSox

What a ridiculous move by ESPN. I can't imagine a single person cared that there was someone named "Robert Lee" who was going to be covering that UVA game.

You really can't imagine someone caring? That's a lie. This was no doubt going to be seized on as an opportunity to laugh at how clueless ESPN is.

I actually believe them that they just thought it was a small distracting thing that would lead to memes/jokes about a new announcer.

These moves that come across as so deliberate and big when send through the social media sphere were likely a pretty small thing that happened and all agreed on.

ESPN after all did not announce to broadcast how sensitive they were. They asked if he could switch to one of their many other games privately to avoid some jokes and it happened because switching gamesweeks before is pretty common.

Well the chief concern now from the media who's coverage ESPN was specifically trying to avoid is that this kind of nonsense makes political correctness look bad, and now ESPN is to blame for that.

The issue here is a media that wants to be treated like the fourth estate with cringe worthy taglines like "Democracy dies in darkness", but in practice just patrols the depths for petty mistakes to make mountainous issues out of. And now that every organization with a brand has caught up to this and is trying to stay ahead of it, the media is now acting like "aww that? Oh come on we'd NEVER say anything about Robert Lee doing a UVA game" when it is almost certain they would.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
ESPN has a feather in its cap and it is definitely its college football coverage.

Yeah, as bad as their programming is, they are very relevant because of all the college football games they broadcast. Same thing with the other main sports, their live games is what is saving them.

ESPN probably could have put him on another game and NOT even made an announcement. Nobody would've cared.

Feels like they are reaching for a pat on the back or something.

Edited by Brian