Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
That's one-time Soxtalk poster Chris Rongey.

He was such an asshole to callers on the postgame show who had even the slightest complaint about the Sox direction (reminds me of some...). He really made a lot of enemies with that, which is weird because by all accounts he was a pretty good guy off the air.

He is a good guy. But just like anyone else who hears nothing but negativity and complaints, it wore him down after awhile. you could tell it got to him having to liten to caller after caller bash Ventura even after wins.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
Is there a test for CTE that can be run on living subjects?

No. But there is some evidence that certain sclera (scar tissue type) that can be found may be an early indicator. The research is in it's very early stages but the people hyping up the CTE for NFL players (to get the grant money) are starting to push it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
Broadcast school wet s's .

Ed Curran CBS 2 weather guy drives me nuts with them. 45 degreesh, shunny conditionsh.

Lol my boss at work also has that issue. She's explaining how we do this one process and when she goes to say "base-year," she says "bashe year." So frustrating lol

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
It stinks because WYC was a fun segment, but that was Terry's baby, it came from his famous interview with Ditka. To continue it without him would be bad form.

IIRC, the segment dates back to the Heavy Fuel Crew days. Bernstein was part of it for 17 years.

I'd be cool with keeping it to honor Boers

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 02:39 AM)
CTE, Dementia, along with depression and other things. But the main issue seems to be dementia. Showed that he has to walk around with a fanny pack that contains his ID, wallet, keys, and phone in case he gets lost and forgets what he's doing.`It was a pretty sad interview.

Stan Mikita has dementia. He has zero recollection of his playing days. He's in excellent health/physical shape, but mentally, he's gone. VERY sad.

due to some quirky scheduling, I've had a ton of time to listen to sports talk radio in the last couple weeks. I honestly had tuned out for probably 6+ months prior as a result of the cubs hysteria and nothing worthwhile on the bears front...that said, oh my god the 9-12 time slots are just awful. the score duo (spiegel and the new guy) is beyond terrible. Absolutely nothing redeeming. Not smart, not interesting. If you are gonna be a doofus at least be entertaining. Carm and Jurko is at least listenable, but thats only beacuse of Carmen. Jurko is bad - offers no intelligent opinion on anything. At least sometimes he is somewhat funny.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
It stinks because WYC was a fun segment, but that was Terry's baby, it came from his famous interview with Ditka. To continue it without him would be bad form.

Goff and Bernstein need to find their own segments, and they will

They don't do Friday Fung anymore either. Will there be a Tournament of Bad this year?

Spiegel and Mannely/Goff/Parkins kept Over Unders, and that was a McNeil creation.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
They don't do Friday Fung anymore either. Will there be a Tournament of Bad this year?

Spiegel and Mannely/Goff/Parkins kept Over Unders, and that was a McNeil creation.

Seems like Goff and Bernstein are doing their own thing. Haven't noticed much carryover at all, music beds and everything

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)

TOB isn't that fun, except when the names are announced. After that, it's pretty much uninteresting.

Friday Fung though is fun

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
TOB isn't that fun, except when the names are announced. After that, it's pretty much uninteresting.

I haven't heard if TOB is coming back, but it had become tired. I can almost guarantee, that if it did come back, half of the slots would be filled by Donald Trump, Republican positions and other politicians on that side of the aisle. That show, in particular, are overly sensitive to "Stick to Sports" and make a point of letting everyone know they hate Trump (Bernstein referred to him a fascist on back to back shows recently) and that race (that's more Goff thing, but Bernstein has evolved) is a factor in pretty much any topic.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Feb 25, 2017 -> 07:14 PM)
I haven't heard if TOB is coming back, but it had become tired. I can almost guarantee, that if it did come back, half of the slots would be filled by Donald Trump, Republican positions and other politicians on that side of the aisle. That show, in particular, are overly sensitive to "Stick to Sports" and make a point of letting everyone know they hate Trump (Bernstein referred to him a fascist on back to back shows recently) and that race (that's more Goff thing, but Bernstein has evolved) is a factor in pretty much any topic.

It's the "tournament of bad", not the "tournament of s***heads destroying our country"

I appreciate that they don't put their heads in the sand on this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)

I was never a huge B&B fan, but Friday Fung was must listen radio for me.

I was reading the chicagofanatics message boards the other day. McNeil posts there on occasion, and he had an interesting observation about the new generation of sports talk hosts. Mac feels they think their purpose is to educate rather than entertain. Can't disagree with that although I think "Can't Do It" (Spiegel and Parkins) is a fun listen.