Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Poor Abbatacola.

Not really. Goff had to leave and go to Atlanta to get a shot. Even though he failed, the Score was loyal to him when he came back. Abbatacola never took that chance.

Edited by G&T

I think the Goff pairing will last another decade. If Matty was given/took the opportunity I wouldnt be so sure. Although I really like Matt and enjoy when he is on I dont get the sense that the majority of listeners do too. It sucks for Matt though, he has paid his dues to at least get a shot even if it fails.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
I think the Goff pairing will last another decade. If Matty was given/took the opportunity I wouldnt be so sure. Although I really like Matt and enjoy when he is on I dont get the sense that the majority of listeners do too. It sucks for Matt though, he has paid his dues to at least get a shot even if it fails.

I agree. I enjoy when Matt is covering for someone (although, that may just be because I wasn't a Terry fan).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
I have no idea how radio works. Is that a promotion or demotion from his previous role?

It's a promotion for him. He has Abbatacola's old job. Tannehill is the sound guy, but I believe he is technically a "producer"

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Why do they still have update guys? With twitter you get up to the second sports news and scores. Waste of time now IMO

Can't go on twitter in your car, i guess.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
True and probably revenue. But how often has an update guy broken a story? Any who.

At least you get gems like these

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
So he's replacing Rongey?

That sure sounds like a demotion. I suppose it's technically "talent".

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Why do they still have update guys? With twitter you get up to the second sports news and scores. Waste of time now IMO

Maybe for you, but I imagine a large portion of their audience doesn't have Twitter and still depends on the updates for current sports news.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
Maybe for you, but I imagine a large portion of their audience doesn't have Twitter and still depends on the updates for current sports news.

And even for those of us that use twitter on occasion, we tend to undervalue the fact that these guys can parse through the news and focus on what is relevant to the fans.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
It's a promotion for him. He has Abbatacola's old job. Tannehill is the sound guy, but I believe he is technically a "producer"

Can't go on twitter in your car, i guess.

I meant for abbattacola. Being the update guy sounds like a demotion. Wonder why.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
Wait, North isn't doing Webio anymore?? :P

This article only mentions North, but I'm willing to bet McNeil and Teinowitz are being considered as well.

Is Another All-Sports Station Coming To The Chicago Market In 2017?

I approached Bernstein not too long ago about the show, saying Matt would be a nice addition. He went off on me, saying that it's out of his control and he's not one of upper management even though someday he would like to be.

Abbatacola's role is definitely a demotion. It makes me wonder if Julie DaCarrio and Chris Rongey are getting the axe. I don't buy the argument of having to move away and take a chance and come back to Chicago to get a talent job. Shepkowski didn't leave even though he has Matt's old job. I stopped myself from majoring in journalism and radio/TV for crap like this. You really have to get lucky to get a paying job and then play the politics to be on air talent. Abbatacola's demotion doesn't make sense, and I hope that he f***s with the Score somehow and goes to AM 1000.

Edited by New Era on South Side

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
I approached Bernstein not too long ago about the show, saying Matt would be a nice addition. He went off on me, saying that it's out of his control and he's not one of upper management even though someday he would like to be.

Abbatacola's role is definitely a demotion. It makes me wonder if Julie DaCarrio and Chris Rongey are getting the axe. I don't buy the argument of having to move away and take a chance and come back to Chicago to get a talent job. Shepkowski didn't leave even though he has Matt's old job. I stopped myself from majoring in journalism and radio/TV for crap like this. You really have to get lucky to get a paying job and then play the politics to be on air talent. Abbatacola's demotion doesn't make sense, and I hope that he f***s with the Score somehow and goes to AM 1000.

My impression (never been in radio) is that it is a demotion. I have never felt DiCaro or Rongey were "higher up" than Abbatacola. It is super weird that a guy so active at the company is suddenly "demoted". Maybe there's more we don't know.

Nice display name, BTW.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't buy the argument of having to move away and take a chance and come back to Chicago to get a talent job.

Laurence Holmes never moved away, did he? IIRC, he got started as a producer for the old WMAQ Sports Huddle back in the mid 90s.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
Laurence Holmes never moved away, did he? IIRC, he got started as a producer for the old WMAQ Sports Huddle back in the mid 90s.

He was on air daily in a variety of capacities since the early 2000s and did play by play for DePaul. And I never said someone had to move away. It's an experience issue. Abattacola never had a daily talk show for any length of time. That opportunity was never coming at the Score. Goff had to leave to get that experience.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
My impression (never been in radio) is that it is a demotion. I have never felt DiCaro or Rongey were "higher up" than Abbatacola. It is super weird that a guy so active at the company is suddenly "demoted". Maybe there's more we don't know.

Nice display name, BTW.

Thanks - it's a New Era after the Northsiders won the WS and the Sox started the rebuild.

There is more to all of this, but I bet it is politics. The show enjoyed great ratings and was funny under Abbatacola's watch. I would think maybe they wanted to keep Shepkowski at the Score and told Abbatacola that he's a sub for when hosts are out, just like Rozner.