Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
That's the status quo for the Score much of the time now.

As it should be. Nobody cares about hockey and the Cubs are the best organization in town other than the Hawks and happen to play their games on that station. They will ramp up Bears draft coverage soon but what else are they supposed to talk about it?

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
That opportunity was never coming at the Score. Goff had to leave to get that experience.

EXACTLY. Goff did a ton of fill-in work (especially when McNeil was in rehab) and he was obviously ready for his own show, but there were no openings at The SCORE. When CBS launched that new FM talker in Atlanta, Jason wisely accepted the offer to go there.

Getting a job in the business usually (but not always) goes as such...

1. Intern

2. Producer

3. Part time/fill-in host

4. Your own show

Ex-jocks get to skip steps 1-3 :)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
Weird hearing Bernstein and Goff together. I think this is actually better than Boers and Bernstein.

I thought the same thing. As long as they stay away from the Social Justice crap and stick to sports, this could be a winning combo here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 02:55 PM)
Sounded like it might as well be a pregame Cubs show

:P

I find myself listening to Carmen and Jurko a LOT more than Speigel and Whoever these days.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 07:13 PM)
As it should be. Nobody cares about hockey and the Cubs are the best organization in town other than the Hawks and happen to play their games on that station. They will ramp up Bears draft coverage soon but what else are they supposed to talk about it?

If a Q trade went through, the afternoon show would give it a good deal of coverage. I don't expect a lot from the midday show, honestly. I tend to have meetings during that time.

Edited by Sox-35th

Herb Lawrence is moving back to Chicago (that was quick). I would think he would probably be coming back to the Score since he left in good standing just a year ago. LHolmes would welcome him back with open arms if he wanted it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Around the 16 minute mark, is Bernstein suggesting the Sox will move when JR dies or that someone else will now be in charge?

http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d...XP__0000000k3Dk

The implication is that when Jerry passes, the team will be sold. I think the TV money will keep the White Sox in Chicago long term.

Rongey leaving

https://twitter.com/ChrisRongey/status/823601051257438209

Looks like he'll be moving to St Louis and working for the ESPN station.

That's one-time Soxtalk poster Chris Rongey.

He was such an asshole to callers on the postgame show who had even the slightest complaint about the Sox direction (reminds me of some...). He really made a lot of enemies with that, which is weird because by all accounts he was a pretty good guy off the air.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
I have no idea how radio works. Is that a promotion or demotion from his previous role?

I don't follow The Score enough to know what roles are being discussed here, but if we are talking on-air talent moved to producer, then yes, that's a downgrade. I worked at a radio station in the market a few years ago and was an on-air talent for my own sports show, and then stayed after and produced the next guy's show for experience. Then we all also took turns being assigned to have to run the board for certain live events or Cubs/NFL games, and THAT was the absolute worst job in the studio. Running the board is the worst. Producing a show and obviously hosting a show can both be fun, depending how much you feel like doing.

We simulcasted video live online as well, so producing the later show was actually pretty fun for me because I got to add a lot of content to the video portion of the show that listeners wouldn't even know. Like switching cameras or displaying my laptop screen where we could SHOW traffic and weather as well as websites related to our guests or articles in which the host is referring, etc. It was cool seeing the live feedback on the chatroom when I was able to provide additional info for the viewers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Rongey leaving

https://twitter.com/ChrisRongey/status/823601051257438209

Looks like he'll be moving to St Louis and working for the ESPN station.

Funny, I totally forgot he blocked me on Twitter a few years ago for calling him a "Sox mouthpiece", until I clicked that link.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 02:31 AM)
I don't follow The Score enough to know what roles are being discussed here, but if we are talking on-air talent moved to producer, then yes, that's a downgrade. I worked at a radio station in the market a few years ago and was an on-air talent for my own sports show, and then stayed after and produced the next guy's show for experience. Then we all also took turns being assigned to have to run the board for certain live events or Cubs/NFL games, and THAT was the absolute worst job in the studio. Running the board is the worst. Producing a show and obviously hosting a show can both be fun, depending how much you feel like doing.

We simulcasted video live online as well, so producing the later show was actually pretty fun for me because I got to add a lot of content to the video portion of the show that listeners wouldn't even know. Like switching cameras or displaying my laptop screen where we could SHOW traffic and weather as well as websites related to our guests or articles in which the host is referring, etc. It was cool seeing the live feedback on the chatroom when I was able to provide additional info for the viewers.

This in reference to Abbatacola (didn't feel like going back)? It would seem like going from producing a show to "reading updates every 20/30 mins" would be a downgrade.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
This in reference to Abbatacola (didn't feel like going back)? It would seem like going from producing a show to "reading updates every 20/30 mins" would be a downgrade.

Unless he's doing a Cubs or special show like Rongey was doing.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

I said at the top of my comment I didn't know what roles were being discussed for Abbatacola, but if he was a producer and now he's the update guy, then yeah, that's definitely a downgrade, especially considering you can pretty easily do both jobs simultaneously.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 12:05 AM)
That's one-time Soxtalk poster Chris Rongey.

He was such an asshole to callers on the postgame show who had even the slightest complaint about the Sox direction (reminds me of some...). He really made a lot of enemies with that, which is weird because by all accounts he was a pretty good guy off the air.

What was your old name?

Edited by Leonard Zelig