Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 1, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
Terminate a bunch of people so that you can hire the highest priced FA writer out there.

But unlike most of the onair talent, Woj is a proven commodity who makes their other "insiders" look like a joke in comparison.

They could layoff their entire NBA staff and keep Woj and be a better company.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 3, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
ESPN takes the most fees per cable subscriber...more than HBO, Showtime, etc. $7 per subscriber. That's a TON! My guess is the cable companies are starting to squeeze them a bit.

Just an FYI.

Heard something on the radio last week that cable/satellite subs have dropped from something like 110 million to 80 million.

ESPN is still making tons of revenue, but they've also got a bunch of really expensive broadcast rights contracts.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 3, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
ESPN takes the most fees per cable subscriber...more than HBO, Showtime, etc. $7 per subscriber. That's a TON! My guess is the cable companies are starting to squeeze them a bit.

Just an FYI.

I wonder how much an ESPN streaming service could net.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.insideradio.com/people_moves/ma...ee01fa52dd.html

16 years...

CBS Radio sports “The Score” WSCR (670) Chicago producer/anchor Matt Abbatacola leaves the station after 16 years. According to Chicago media reporter Robert Feder, Abbatacola was passed over earlier this year for the co-host position with Dan Bernstein when Terry Boers retired in January. That position went to midday host Jason Goff who is now paired with Bernstein in afternoons.

“The Score” operations manager Mitch Rosen confirmed Abbatacola’s exit telling Feder, “I wish him nothing but the best.”

Surprising considering he recently went into detail publicly that he didn't have any hard feelings over it and that he admittedly wasnt good enough to be a full time host. Maybe he was just saying that because that's what he was told and he was saying it with snark?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)

16 years...

CBS Radio sports “The Score” WSCR (670) Chicago producer/anchor Matt Abbatacola leaves the station after 16 years. According to Chicago media reporter Robert Feder, Abbatacola was passed over earlier this year for the co-host position with Dan Bernstein when Terry Boers retired in January. That position went to midday host Jason Goff who is now paired with Bernstein in afternoons.

“The Score” operations manager Mitch Rosen confirmed Abbatacola’s exit telling Feder, “I wish him nothing but the best.”

I'm very fond of Matt Abbatacola. Hope he finds a good landing place.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0523-story.html

Greenberg and Golic on "poisonous terms" apparently as show nears its end.

This isn't surprising. Golic is clearly very unhappy with the direction they're going. Honestly, it will be a shame to see Greeny reduced to another ESPN talking head. I feel like in Mike and Mike he's better.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)

16 years...

Damn, there goes my can't do it with Spiegel - "With the recent shuffle of shows at 670 the Score, which promoted Nick Shepkowski and relegated Matt Abbatacola to update duties, do you find that to be a fair move by management?"

Anybody else friends with Danny Mac on Facebook? He will accept almost anyone's request. Anyway he was at a wedding somewhere recently and he, Jurko and Harry took a photo together. ESPN 1000 has been horrible since they broke up. Really miss that show.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:45 PM)
Anybody else friends with Danny Mac on Facebook? He will accept almost anyone's request. Anyway he was at a wedding somewhere recently and he, Jurko and Harry took a photo together. ESPN 1000 has been horrible since they broke up. Really miss that show.

That was far and away the best radio show in Chicago Sports. So much fun.

Harry Teinowitz has lost SO much weight

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)
That was far and away the best radio show in Chicago Sports. So much fun.

Harry Teinowitz has lost SO much weight

Growing up, that was the best show definitely. Also loved Carmen/Silvy, as they were young guys (at the time) and brought a really nice Sox/Cubs balance along with good cultural references.

Haven't listened to sports radio on the radio in so long. Listen to interviews on my phone through the podcast app, but that's it.

Edited by maggsmaggs

I recently listened to ESPN radio 1000 in the afternoon on the TuneIn radio app and noticed how bad some of those shows are from a learning standpoint compared to Bernstein and Goff. I do think that B&G gets old after some time and even to an extent the morning show on 670, but that might be because of the fact it is the Cubs flagship station and heading the Go Cubs Go song and World Series highlights gets old after several hours of listening. I do like the humor on the afternoon show on AM 1000 and their transition is better. I grew up with McNeil, Jurko and Harry and loved them, the show that was on before them in that slot with Lou Connelis (who is unbearable on Fox now) and also enjoyed McNeil and Spiegel as well.

Yeah, that was the last sports show I can think of in Chicago that didn't have an adversarial feel, or one of the guys just making up reasons to argue. It really seemed like three dudes just shooting the breeze.

• 1 month later...

Mac has recently mentioned the idea of a MJH Podcast.

MJH Podcast?

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ May 24, 2017 -> 06:35 AM)
I recently listened to ESPN radio 1000 in the afternoon on the TuneIn radio app and noticed how bad some of those shows are from a learning standpoint compared to Bernstein and Goff. I do think that B&G gets old after some time and even to an extent the morning show on 670, but that might be because of the fact it is the Cubs flagship station and heading the Go Cubs Go song and World Series highlights gets old after several hours of listening. I do like the humor on the afternoon show on AM 1000 and their transition is better. I grew up with McNeil, Jurko and Harry and loved them, the show that was on before them in that slot with Lou Connelis (who is unbearable on Fox now) and also enjoyed McNeil and Spiegel as well.

I prefer B&G to W&S, but I do occasionally get tired of the Cubbie laying it on thick attitude.

Does Dave Wischnowsky‏ ever say anything intelligent?

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)
I prefer B&G to W&S, but I do occasionally get tired of the Cubbie laying it on thick attitude.

Does Dave Wischnowsky‏ ever say anything intelligent?

I get sick of the flagship Cubbies promotions that they have to do. Sometimes the interviews aren't good, so I switch to ESPN radio 1000 to see what Jurko and the guys talk about. Bernstein can get old after awhile even though he's insightful.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
I get sick of the flagship Cubbies promotions that they have to do. Sometimes the interviews aren't good, so I switch to ESPN radio 1000 to see what Jurko and the guys talk about. Bernstein can get old after awhile even though he's insightful.

I love when they interview Steve Stone and occasional Sox players. The Steve Stone ones are especially good listens.