Early ChiSox Draft Ideas

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 10, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)
Same. I don't want to see a OF picked until we take a few LHPs, 3B, and SS's.

I wouldn't say LHP should be a priority with four (theoretically) in our rotation and Snodgress.

Just find the best pitcher availability. We have Erik Johnson and Beck, but another one would go a long ways to stocking up on this invaluable asset.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2013 -> 11:44 PM)
I wouldn't say LHP should be a priority with four (theoretically) in our rotation and Snodgress.

Just find the best pitcher availability. We have Erik Johnson and Beck, but another one would go a long ways to stocking up on this invaluable asset.

You're right. I should have said, until we take some P's (LHP if possible). If it's between a few different pitchers, I'd take the lefty each time, but yes, if it's a RHP or a few other positions other than 3B, take the pitcher.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 10, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
I'd love Stanek. He was considered a top 5 pick early this year. Stuff has been down a bit and some command issues, but he probably has the highest upside of the college arms that might be available at 17. Similar things could be said about Manaea if he fell that far. Rogers reiterated today that the Sox would love for Trey Ball to fall to them. I'd echo that sentiment, but kid has some major helium lately.

I'd love for Stanek to fall to 17, formerly the top talent of this class, goes for Manaea as well, I feel that if they both fall to 17 (unlikely), Chicago takes Manaea.

Edited by ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
The Sox don't pick HS pitchers.

If this was two years ago, I'd agree with you. However, with the new draft rules regarding the amount of money a team can spend, the Sox seem to be fully invested in spending more on the draft. And if the right player falls, I'd think the Sox would pull the trigger.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 11, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
I'd love for Stanek to fall to 17, formerly the top talent of this class, goes for Manaea as well, I feel that if they both fall to 17 (unlikely), Chicago takes Manaea.

Manaea is a Boras client. I'd be really, really surprised if the Sox took him.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 11, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
If this was two years ago, I'd agree with you. However, with the new draft rules regarding the amount of money a team can spend, the Sox seem to be fully invested in spending more on the draft. And if the right player falls, I'd think the Sox would pull the trigger.

I just have a hard time seeing them draft a high school pitcher high in the draft after what Hawk and Stoney say every year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I just have a hard time seeing them draft a high school pitcher high in the draft after what Hawk and Stoney say every year.

More often than not, I'd agree with you. However, I do believe the Sox would choose a HS pitcher if he was highly valued, and because of the new spending limits. Before the new rules, I would have given it a 0% chance. Now? 5% or so. Rare but not out of the realm of possibility.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 11, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/...d=si_topstories

SI has the Sox taking Dominic Smith, who they refer to as "the purest high school hitter in this year's draft."

Curse of death if the White Sox draft him.

Reminds me of any time for about the past 30 years I've ever heard my Hawkeyes have recruited a "pure shooter" at the 2 or 3 spot...well, still waiting for the next Reggie Miller or Curry brother to materialize. Probably I will never see a single one in my lifetime!

One every recruiting class always gets that unfortunate label, though. (To be fair, Harper's been close to living up to the hype surrounding him since early in high school.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 11, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)
Any chance DJ Peterson, Jon Denney or Colin Moran falls to us? Also, I want nothing to do with JP Crawford. I really see him as a low ceiling guy.

Peterson and Denney might be around. Moran won't be.

I watched a little bit of Oklahoma RHP Jonathan Gray, maybe the top prospect in the draft, pitch today against Oklahoma State. While, he clearly didn't have his best stuff today, his fastball is plus plus. He was humming them in there in the high 90s and he made it look so easy. Big guy too.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ May 11, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
I watched a little bit of Oklahoma RHP Jonathan Gray, maybe the top prospect in the draft, pitch today against Oklahoma State. While, he clearly didn't have his best stuff today, his fastball is plus plus. He was humming them in there in the high 90s and he made it look so easy. Big guy too.

I like him more than Appel, he's a fun one to watch. Will probably be seeing him on the North Side not too far down the road.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 11, 2013 -> 11:41 PM)
I like him more than Appel, he's a fun one to watch. Will probably be seeing him on the North Side not too far down the road.

Yep, Cubs with some good luck this year in that there's 2 superstar caliber starting pitchers in the draft. I watched video of one of Gray's starts from earlier in the year, and his stuff looked better than Mark Prior's ever did.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 11, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Mitchell was a well received pick too. I remember being happy as I watched him a good deal during LSU's title run that year. I believe he was the CB Championship MVP as well.

Unfortunately, Mike Trout was the next pick.

Absolutely, most exciting draft pick I could remember in years, I remember he was the NCAA's MOP in baseball and then I saw him a few times with Kanny. That was pre-injury when he was flying.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 11, 2013 -> 07:09 PM)
Peterson and Denney might be around. Moran won't be.

Agreed, I might take Peterson if he's still around or might look for another 5-tool player that KW likes. I'd also consider taking a LHP or a HS RHP. If Moran falls to 17, he is a must take, the fall is unlikely, but he has phenomenal skill.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ May 12, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Definitely seems like a solid pick, when will we hear who their scouts have been viewing?

Judge seems like a huge ceiling, low floor type. After taking someone similar in Hawkins, I'd rather the Sox not take him.