Wizards' Jason Collins

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
ESPN very much embraced the concept "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

I could be wrong, and perhaps no one will remember Broussard's comments 10-15 years from now, but I think while they may win today, they may well look like fools several years from now.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
His opinion of sports, not his religious opinion.

"New York team sells arena naming rights to Chicago's Superdawg"

Sports opinion: The extra revenue will be good for the team.

Sports opinion: New Yorkers may be upset that the name was sold to a Chicago business.

Sports opinion: Superdawg Arena is a really lame name.

Not a sports opinion: The team owner is going to go to hell for promoting pork products that the Lord says are unclean.

ESPN knew what they were doing with Broussard. Out of all people to ask this question to, why Broussard? Because they knew what his answer was going to be and it would be a lightning rod for attention.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I could be wrong, and perhaps no one will remember Broussard's comments 10-15 years from now, but I think while they may win today, they may well look like fools several years from now.

ESPN distanced themselves from owning that opinion with their statement, so 10-15 years from now it will only be Broussard lookin like a fool to the normal guy.

But we know what happened

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
ESPN distanced themselves from owning that opinion with their statement, so 10-15 years from now it will only be Broussard lookin like a fool to the normal guy.

But we know what happened

ESPN gets the best of both worlds. They get people watching for controversy, and people put them right up front in terms of discussion and viewership.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
Public schools are secular institutions that should not be promoting any particular religion over others our no religion at all.

And for the majority of schools, they arent promoting religion when it comes to these activities(the ones that do should be told to stop). Then again, somehow Christmas tree cookies and Santa cookies have become religious symbols. I hope the same people are protesting Halloween and St Patrick's Day activities in schools.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
And for the majority of schools, they arent promoting religion when it comes to these activities(the ones that do should be told to stop). Then again, somehow Christmas tree cookies and Santa cookies have become religious symbols. I hope the same people are protesting Halloween and St Patrick's Day activities in schools.

It's not exactly a mystery as to how Christmas trees and a Christian saint became religious symbols.

They always try to have back and forth discussions on OTL, it can't be a surprise that they had a guy bring a conservative religious point of view to the discussion. He speaks for a huge portion of the American public and the viewers of ESPN tend to be hyper-macho guys who may swing more anti-gay than the average American. Unlike most guys you could have brought in there, Chris Broussard knew he was putting his job on the line by saying anything that could be construed as anti-gay. He put it about as gently as a person who is religiously inclined to disapprove of gay people can put it.

Heard that Britney Griner came out...after the NCAA tourney. Never made a big story of it.

Is it more acceptable to be gay in the WNBA? Remember, not all wnba players look like Brittany Jackson.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
Heard that Britney Griner came out...after the NCAA tourney. Never made a big story of it.

Is it more acceptable to be gay in the WNBA? Remember, not all wnba players look like Brittany Jackson.

That barrier was broken a long time ago. Sheryl Swoops came out like 10 years ago.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)

It's stereotyping but I think it's that way with a lot of womens sports.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)

It's more acceptable to be a gay woman.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)

I don't think it's any more or less acceptable, but I feel like our society, for whatever reason, believes lesbianism to be more understood. Martina Navratilova came out more than 30 years ago at like the peak of her career.

It's really a matter of gender differences.

Yeah, male athletes are seen as the peak of masculinity, so coming out as gay (which is usually stereotyped as effeminate/sissy) is a contradiction to that image. Female athletes are frequently admired for their looks and femininity, and being a lesbian isn't really a contradiction to that.

Buzzfeed put together this graphic about all of the female pro athletes that have come out

enhanced-buzz-24522-1367272967-4.jpg

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
I don't think it's any more or less acceptable, but I feel like our society, for whatever reason, believes lesbianism to be more understood. Martina Navratilova came out more than 30 years ago at like the peak of her career.

It's really a matter of gender differences.

I believe I read somewhere that Billie Jean King and Navratilova were outed, not that they came out on their own (could have just been the case for one of them, not sure).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
These conversations about whether some athlete was "living in sin" and in "open rebellion against God and Christ" who isn't a real Christian because they committed adultery don't happen outside of religious settings if they happen at all. The bigotry and exclusion and condemnation is reserved for the LGBT crowd and not other sinners.

For the sake of completeness, I got around to actually watching Broussard's full comment, and it included this:

Full text of ESPN's Chris Broussard's comments on Jason Collins...

"I'm a Christian. I don't agree with homosexuality. I think it's a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is. [ESPN's] L.Z. [Granderson] knows that. He and I have played on basketball teams together for several years. We've gone out, had lunch together, we've had good conversations, good laughs together. He knows where I stand and I know where he stands. I don't criticize him, he doesn't criticize me, and call me a bigot, call me ignorant, call me intolerant.

"In talking to some people around the league, there's a lot Christians in the NBA and just because they disagree with that lifestyle, they don't want to be called bigoted and intolerant and things like that. That's what LZ was getting at. Just like I may tolerate someone whose lifestyle I disagree with, he can tolerate my beliefs. He disagrees with my beliefs and my lifestyle but true tolerance and acceptance is being able to handle that as mature adults and not criticize each other and call each other names.

"... Personally, I don't believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an opnely premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you're openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that's a sin. If you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian."

-- Chis Broussard, ESPN, 4/29/2013

So, yeah. He talked about that as being a problem on national TV (gosh!). And frankly, his entire statement read in context is about as "light" and respectful as you can possibly be in saying you don't agree with a homosexual lifestyle. It's no different than saying you don't agree with someone having sex outside of their marriage and you think it's a sin and not a Christian act.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 1, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
It's only a problem for bigots trying to cherry-pick religious texts to justify their bigotry though

Well, I don't think it's a "problem" that really affects his life. Especially since he apparently is a friend of someone who is gay. Gee, someone can think someone is living in sin and not a Christian life and not want them to burn in eternal damnation!

Nope, just a bigoted asshole, right?

"I'm not racist, I've got a black friend!" isn't actually a legitimate defense

I don't really care to hear Broussard's or any other sports commentator's theological views on other peoples' alleged sins. I think Broussard's views are bigoted and that having gay friends does not magically change that.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 1, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
"I'm not racist, I've got a black friend!" isn't actually a legitimate defense

I don't really care to hear Broussard's or any other sports commentator's theological views on other peoples' alleged sins. I think Broussard's views are bigoted and that having gay friends does not magically change that.

But that doens't work. You wouldn't be friends with a black person if you were truly racist.

How can you be a bigot ("one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance") if you're friends with them? Logically that makes no sense. Again, I think you're bastardizing the definition here. By this very definition you are a bigot.

Edited by Jenksismybitch