SOX DRAFT PICKS 2013

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Danish also saying he hasn't agreed to terms yet, but he could by this weekend.

Upon learning his personal story, I was surprised he was originally labeled a tough sign. Apparently single mom has stretched to support him, you'd think he would want to get her off the hook ASAP -- of course, by all indications he will be doing just that shortly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Upon learning his personal story, I was surprised he was originally labeled a tough sign. Apparently single mom has stretched to support him, you'd think he would want to get her off the hook ASAP -- of course, by all indications he will be doing just that shortly.

He said almost right away he was headed to Chicago this weekend to sign, and he already is tweeting about his assignment (which he said is the "A ball" team). If he means Kanny, that is a tough first assignment for a high schooler. Anyway, he's not a tough sign, I think he'll be easy.

And I am still not sure what JVS meant by "in the fold", I asked him for clarification, didn't hear back. I don't think it means they have all signed yet, just that they are all either signed, agreed to terms, or about to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
He said almost right away he was headed to Chicago this weekend to sign, and he already is tweeting about his assignment (which he said is the "A ball" team). If he means Kanny, that is a tough first assignment for a high schooler. Anyway, he's not a tough sign, I think he'll be easy.

And I am still not sure what JVS meant by "in the fold", I asked him for clarification, didn't hear back. I don't think it means they have all signed yet, just that they are all either signed, agreed to terms, or about to.

In the second round, I don't think he was ever going to be a tough sign. It seemed like pre-draft, he was considered a tough sign if he went in the 3rd or 4th rounds as he was often projected. I expect him to sign at or below slot, now.

A ball will be a real challenge for him, I'm fairly surprised at that. I hope he kills it down there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
In the second round, I don't think he was ever going to be a tough sign. It seemed like pre-draft, he was considered a tough sign if he went in the 3rd or 4th rounds as he was often projected. I expect him to sign at or below slot, now.

A ball will be a real challenge for him, I'm fairly surprised at that. I hope he kills it down there.

Not sure how this compares to college so I'll ask...how many innings might a guy coming out of high school be expected to have on his arm come draft time? If he's thrown a decent number of innings already this year, might they start him off in the bullpen at a higher level to give him the experience there?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Not sure how this compares to college so I'll ask...how many innings might a guy coming out of high school be expected to have on his arm come draft time? If he's thrown a decent number of innings already this year, might they start him off in the bullpen at a higher level to give him the experience there?

Well, he threw 98 IP in high school. That's not unheard of, but there will be other top HS arms that threw half that much. His season ran long due to postseason, but I'm guessing his arm was very recently abused. Wouldn't be the worst thing to pitch him in the bullpen for a little while, at least. Maybe not the entire short season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Well, he threw 98 IP in high school. That's not unheard of, but there will be other top HS arms that threw half that much. His season ran long due to postseason, but I'm guessing his arm was very recently abused. Wouldn't be the worst thing to pitch him in the bullpen for a little while, at least. Maybe not the entire short season.

Yeah 98 is very high, but no unheard of. Some staff aces in this area are around 50-60 IP, but that's because they had such a late start to the season due to bad weather.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 10m

#WhiteSox ink 5th-rder Thaddius Lowry for $500k. Texas HS RHP, former C, up to 96 & mid-80s slider early in spring. #mlbdraft

$190,800 over slot.

The BA draft database actually says $400,000 as the bonus. Maybe Callis will clarify.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)

The tweet that I saw from him said he was coming to Chicago to sign and then would be off to Bristol, Tennessee to start his career.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 13m

#WhiteSox ink 4th-rder Andrew Mitchell for $413k. TCU RHP, one of best curves among collegians, up to 98 as RP, steal in 4th. #mlbdraft

Right at slot value.

Wow thought he may of been a tougher signing.

Tyler Danish ‏@danish_Tyler7 40m

IT'S OFFICIAL THE CONTRACT IS SIGN IM NOW APART OF THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ORGANIZATION

Tyler Danish will most likely start his career at Bristol.

@TradeDeadliner: Source: #WhiteSox sign second round pick Tyler Danish (55th overall). He got slot value ($1,001,800). @jimcallisBA

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
https://twitter.com/MattBall_ChiSox/status/...5642496/photo/1

Matt Ball ‏@MattBall_ChiSox 1h

Signed my name on that line, officially a Chicago White Sox!! Can't wait to get out there!!

Any word on what Ball signed for? Wasn't this one supposed to be a coup?