Who are our trading partners?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Why is this?

Because very few teams will give up a major league ready upper level guy in a trade deadline deal these days. If a guy is nearly major league ready, the team will find a way to call him up rather than trading him to see if he can help.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
From a certain terrible writer on the boo-yah website:

Dream deal

Jake Peavy and Alex Rios to the Texas Rangers for Justin Grimm, Jorge Alfaro, Lewis Brinson and Joey Gallo.

In Peavy, the Rangers solidify their rotation behind Yu Darvish with a fearless veteran who still can miss bats and keep the ball on the ground. If he remains healthy, he can consistently pitch into the sixth, allowing the Rangers’ relief corps to shut down the last three frames. The White Sox need solid pitching prospects and former Georgia Bulldog Justin Grimm gives them a sturdy right-hander who could be a solid middle-of-the-rotation pitcher. The other prospects are still in Class A or below, so all provide ceiling while being far from a sure thing.

Seriously, I LOL'd at this. Not a chance Texas gives up all of the last 3 players mentioned.

Not sure about that, all three of those players are a long way from doing anything at the ML level and the Rangers are trying to win. The odds aren't great that any of those guys will make it to the bigs, Gallo is all power and its no sure thing he will ever hit enough to make it up the ladder. Brinson also has questions if he can make enough contact to ever make it, both of those guys have almost twice as many K's as H's and a 4:1 K:BB rate. Alfaro probably has the best chance as hit bat will likely play behind the plate. Though, if we are taking fliers on lower level guys, I would rather have Sardinas, Odor, and Guzman.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Not sure about that, all three of those players are a long way from doing anything at the ML level and the Rangers are trying to win. The odds aren't great that any of those guys will make it to the bigs, Gallo is all power and its no sure thing he will ever hit enough to make it up the ladder. Brinson also has questions if he can make enough contact to ever make it, both of those guys have almost twice as many K's as H's and a 4:1 K:BB rate. Alfaro probably has the best chance as hit bat will likely play behind the plate. Though, if we are taking fliers on lower level guys, I would rather have Sardinas, Odor, and Guzman.

If what you say is true then Hahn should be the one laughing at Texas & telling them to get suck a fat one, not the other way around.

You deal the Jakemeister & Alex to Texas and you are giving them a huge hand winning the division AND giving them 2 good players under control. You had better get back someone like Martin who is ready now & fills a need plus a lot more. And that more can't be a bunch of Jared Mitchells and Trayce Thompsons. Ceiling is great but when your floor is bottoming out in Triple A then you ain't good enough to headline a deal like that. That's a huge deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 12:49 PM)
Because very few teams will give up a major league ready upper level guy in a trade deadline deal these days. If a guy is nearly major league ready, the team will find a way to call him up rather than trading him to see if he can help.

How will a team solve their pitching needs by calling up a position player from the minors? How does a team fill their hole at SS when their best, most ready prospect is a 1B? I'd argue that teams with major league ready talent at their positions of need don't really have holes to fill in the first place. I don't expect to see a lot Hudson-Jacksok deals in the near future, but let's not pretend there won't be teams at the deadline desperately looking to fill holes that are willing to trade young talent for the right pieces.

We may have the top reliever on the market in Crain. We can have one of the best bats on the market in Rios, who is under team control for two plus years, which is incredibly valuable. Peavy is a wildcard depending on how teams feel about his health, but he's also not a rental and could still be one of the more attractive SPs available depending on how quick his rehab assignment goes (although I'm not counting on it). Hell, even Alexei has some value if the right team feels they're a SS away from a serious World Series contender. The point is we have some attractive pieces that might get us some nice returns if Hahn plays the market right. There is no guarantee that happens, but expecting miminal returns across the board doesn't make sense to me.

The Phillies sent 2 stud prospects to the Astros for Hunter Pence.

The Giants sent the Mets one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball for a 3 month rental of Beltran.

Just to name 2.

They happen - they aren't common - but just bide our time. You lose value when you're won't pick up any salary and you're too anxious.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
You are wrong. Since coming off the DL in 2011, Peavy has produced 8.9 WAR over 407.2 IP at career-low walk rates. His 2013 performance has seen a substantially higher K rate when compared to last year's 3.37 ERA, 4.5 WAR performance despite identical walk totals.

You still have to show up. He's damaged goods. You will not get much for him right now.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
The Phillies sent 2 stud prospects to the Astros for Hunter Pence.

The Giants sent the Mets one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball for a 3 month rental of Beltran.

Just to name 2.

They happen - they aren't common - but just bide our time. You lose value when you're won't pick up any salary and you're too anxious.

I just looked that trade up. One guy has a career OPS of .722 in the minors and the other has a 3.82 ERA. Studs?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
You still have to show up. He's damaged goods. You will not get much for him right now.

He has been relatively healthy until now. If he can come back and make a GOOD start or two before the trade deadline, that will be enough for teams to go after him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
I just looked that trade up. One guy has a career OPS of .722 in the minors and the other has a 3.82 ERA. Studs?

Good point. You never know with prospects. The Phillies probably knew very well what they were giving up, the Astros......we don't know how well they scouted those two players they received.

Right now, no. That's why you don't trade him RIGHT NOW. You trade him when he's shown he's healthy and productive, which he will do when he comes back from the DL. And if you want to say he's "damaged goods" as if referring to his arm, then you are also wrong. He suffered a rather freak injury because who breaks their rib getting their back cracked?

Peavy's value will be just fine and there's no rush to deal him.

Also, I really hope you are not an investment analyst.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
Axelrod actually has some use as a swing starter/long man to a contender, especially with all of the early season weather games coming back into play here shortly. .

I still can't imagine anyone would give up anything of serious value for him. I pretty much expect him to remain "much more valuable to the Sox over the next 3+ years than he would be in a trade".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
I still can't imagine anyone would give up anything of serious value for him. I pretty much expect him to remain "much more valuable to the Sox over the next 3+ years than he would be in a trade".

He has the kind of arm that should be able to throw an inning or two every day out of the pen and then go 6 for a spot start. These guys are not needed as much in the AL as the NL but I think there is some risk/reward there.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
He has the kind of arm that should be able to throw an inning or two every day out of the pen and then go 6 for a spot start. These guys are not needed as much in the AL as the NL but I think there is some risk/reward there.

I think he's much more valuable as an "adequate 5th starter" over the next several years. If he's giving you an ERA in the mid-4's, and can be stretched out towards 200 innings, that's going to be more useful to the White Sox than a spot starter would be for most teams. I'd expect in trades, his value is exactly what you describe; that of a spot starter, and I think there's a good chance he'd outperform that in the 5th starter role.

If someone surprises me and offers up something of actual value for him I won't be mad, but I just think the stars are aligned that he's staying and we'll be hearing how much people hate him for the next 3-4 years while he quietly puts up unspectacular but tolerable numbers at the back of the rotation.

Axelrod is still someone I acquire if I'm where the Giants are, or someone like that, where you're up s*** creek at the back end of your rotation. Maybe you send out a package of players kind of similar to what the Astros got from us last year for Brett Myers (with us still covering the buyout). Heindenreich was a nice little prospect when we drafted him, I know some here liked Walters, don't know anything about that Devenski guy. Now, it must be said that all those guys are doing horrible right now for the Astros in the minors, but there was/is some ability there, and every now & then it works out. Axelrod IMO can bring in something like that, and if you can do it then I think you should. Clear up the rotation spot, give Axe something to play for as he looks to continue his career, and try to add some more ability to the lower levels of the farm if you can.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
Right now, no. That's why you don't trade him RIGHT NOW. You trade him when he's shown he's healthy and productive, which he will do when he comes back from the DL. And if you want to say he's "damaged goods" as if referring to his arm, then you are also wrong. He suffered a rather freak injury because who breaks their rib getting their back cracked?

Peavy's value will be just fine and there's no rush to deal him.

Also, I really hope you are not an investment analyst.

That's why I think if they did it's nothing but a salary dump.

You're last statement really makes no sense. Real world and baseball economics are apple and oranges. Baseball economics resemble congress.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
That's why I think if they did it's nothing but a salary dump.

You're last statement really makes no sense. Real world and baseball economics are apple and oranges. Baseball economics resemble congress.

They aren't going to trade him while he's on the DL. If they trade him, it will be when he's healthy.

Oh, and buy low, sell high, retain good investments while ridding yourselves of poor ones. There's obviously some empathy when it comes to baseball economics due the fact that you are dealing with people as commodities rather than outright commodities, but the principles remain very much the same.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
If what you say is true then Hahn should be the one laughing at Texas & telling them to get suck a fat one, not the other way around.

You deal the Jakemeister & Alex to Texas and you are giving them a huge hand winning the division AND giving them 2 good players under control. You had better get back someone like Martin who is ready now & fills a need plus a lot more. And that more can't be a bunch of Jared Mitchells and Trayce Thompsons. Ceiling is great but when your floor is bottoming out in Triple A then you ain't good enough to headline a deal like that. That's a huge deal.

Martin is just a 5...average regular. You need tons of high ceiling, proejctable talent. If the Sox acquired Brinson, Gallo, and Alfaro I would do backflips.

And while I understand there is a considerable amount of risk, having the "we need to find ML ready talent" isn't going to happen, and it's the wrong thing to do. White Sox fans need to get used to thinking that this team is not going to compete for 3 to 4 years.

Absolutely, he is currently injured. But you said, "the only thing Peavy has excelled at is going on the DL," and that is wrong.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Axelrod is still someone I acquire if I'm where the Giants are, or someone like that, where you're up s*** creek at the back end of your rotation. Maybe you send out a package of players kind of similar to what the Astros got from us last year for Brett Myers (with us still covering the buyout). Heindenreich was a nice little prospect when we drafted him, I know some here liked Walters, don't know anything about that Devenski guy. Now, it must be said that all those guys are doing horrible right now for the Astros in the minors, but there was/is some ability there, and every now & then it works out. Axelrod IMO can bring in something like that, and if you can do it then I think you should. Clear up the rotation spot, give Axe something to play for as he looks to continue his career, and try to add some more ability to the lower levels of the farm if you can.

I would really like to see Axelrod get traded for a high upside low floor major league player that hasn't figured it out yet someone like the following: moustakas, conger, ackley, montero, or ike davis and a low minors live arm coming back as well.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Martin is just a 5...average regular. You need tons of high ceiling, proejctable talent. If the Sox acquired Brinson, Gallo, and Alfaro I would do backflips.

And while I understand there is a considerable amount of risk, having the "we need to find ML ready talent" isn't going to happen, and it's the wrong thing to do. White Sox fans need to get used to thinking that this team is not going to compete for 3 to 4 years.

Still, you do need to mix in a few "place holders" to give fans SOMETHING to get excited about, as the odds are you're not going to be able to acquire only Top 100-150 talent that's still in A ball.

It might be more like the players in the line of an Anthony Gose or Brett Wallace, etc.

Sometimes, you just have to take your shots with a guy like Pedro Alvarez in a "change of scenery" trade.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
I would really like to see Axelrod get traded for a high upside low floor major league player that hasn't figured it out yet someone like the following: moustakas, conger, ackley, montero, or ike davis and a low minors live arm coming back as well.

Maybe Ackley...but we might as well just trade Beckham straight up for Ackley, right?

Seems that Franklin has won the 2B job over there.

And you're definitely not going to get a busted prospect and an arm back for Axelrod. Nor would you get anything but laughs if you asked for Moustakas for Axelrod.

And Royals have the best pitching in the AL, or close to it. The last thing they need is Dylan Axelrod. That trade would be the official White Flag on Dayton Moore's GM career.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)

Keep in mind that at least some of those guys are approaching their arb years, and at least 1 of them is on the Miami steroid list.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)

Leonys Martin is an already established major leaguer. In fact he is Rios lite., less power so less slugging and OPS but plays a premium position in CF . I'd venture to say when the trading is said and done if the Sox get that kind of player I would be pleased. Only 25 , cost controlled for 5 yrs. plays well defensively in a premium position his WAR is 1.9, Rios 1.8.

We need high upside sure, but you are not going to be playing nothing but A ballers at the ML level and we need talent here too. If he is a 5 what is Rios when you throw in his salary and age ?