NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
When is the last time after Rose's rookie year that he was shut down by a point guard? I can't think of a single time, all "he shut himself down last year" jokes aside.

Well he didn't shut himself down last year either. God did.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
When is the last time after Rose's rookie year that he was shut down by a point guard? I can't think of a single time, all "he shut himself down last year" jokes aside.

I don't remember any, but I did think Jeff Teague did a pretty good job on him in the playoffs in 11.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't remember any, but I did think Jeff Teague did a pretty good job on him in the playoffs in 11.

29.8 ppg, 9.8 apg, 4.3 rebpg, 45% shooting, 29.4% 3pt shooting, high of 44 points, 3 games over 30, and his average is held down because they didn't really need him in game 6 since they built a solid lead early and Boozer played well (I was in the audience so I happen to have a crisp memory on that one).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
29.8 ppg, 9.8 apg, 4.3 rebpg, 45% shooting, 29.4% 3pt shooting, high of 44 points, 3 games over 30, and his average is held down because they didn't really need him in game 6 since they built a solid lead early and Boozer played well (I was in the audience so I happen to have a crisp memory on that one).

I was there for that one. One of the most impressive performances I've seen in a basketball game.

New Orleans Pelicans forward Ryan Anderson found his girlfriend, model and The Bachelor star Gia Allemand, unconscious in her apartment Monday night after an apparent suicide by hanging. He called 911 and she was taken to University Hospital in New Orleans where she was placed on life support.

Allemand was pronounced dead this afternoon when life support was withdrawn "due to a critical loss of brain and organ function." She was 29.

Via, TMZ, here is Anderson's statement:

"I'm deeply grateful for all the love and support we have received from family, friends and fans. Gia was the most beautiful person I knew inside and out and she always smiled and made everyone else around her smile."

He continues, "She had such an amazing impact on my life and anyone that knew her was blessed. All I have left is to cherish those memories we made together and help perpetuate the many values, faith and love that we shared."

Just TERRIBLE.....to walk in on your loved one hanging?

& being a Magic fan Ryan is one of the nicest/good guys in the NBA.

R.I.P.

130813b-gia-allemand.jpg

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
Does anyone know of a free online beckett?? I have an MJ card that when googled is all over the map. I see people saying it's "worth a house", $1000, $4-500, $20, and $5.

I can't imagine it being worth too much. Sports cards values have gone way down.

Hope I'm wrong for your sake.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
FWIW, if we have any collectors here, its a "Rare" 1984 Olympics Promo card.

Admittedly I haven't collected cards in over a decade, so I could be completely full of it. However, that doesn't sound like something that Beckett (or a similar "official" source) would list.

When I purchased the magazine regularly, they only listed major retail releases, not promotional giveaways/event specific items/dealer premiums, ect. I don't think the website was significantly different, but I didn't use that much and it was in its early stages. They also didn't list inserts with low production runs (under 75 I think, though that number may be wrong) because there weren't enough of them on the market to establish an accurate market value (or some similar BS).

Your only recourse might be to find some kind of "expert" that really knows their s***. Even then, it may be hard to find a buyer since it's not something everyone is familiar with like his "official" rookie cards (assuming it is worth real money of course).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:16 PM)
Does anyone know of a free online beckett?? I have an MJ card that when googled is all over the map. I see people saying it's "worth a house", $1000, $4-500, $20, and $5.

Have you tried eBay completed listings to see if any have been sold? That's what people go by now. Beckett only shows you the lowest and highest price paid.

i dont know if its any of these, but here are the MJ olympics cards and what they sold for

Ebay completed listings

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Admittedly I haven't collected cards in over a decade, so I could be completely full of it. However, that doesn't sound like something that Beckett (or a similar "official" source) would list.

When I purchased the magazine regularly, they only listed major retail releases, not promotional giveaways/event specific items/dealer premiums, ect. I don't think the website was significantly different, but I didn't use that much and it was in its early stages. They also didn't list inserts with low production runs (under 75 I think, though that number may be wrong) because there weren't enough of them on the market to establish an accurate market value (or some similar BS).

Your only recourse might be to find some kind of "expert" that really knows their s***. Even then, it may be hard to find a buyer since it's not something everyone is familiar with like his "official" rookie cards (assuming it is worth real money of course).

Would it not being in a Beckett be a good thing or a bad thing?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
Have you tried eBay completed listing

s to see if any have been sold? That's what people go by now. Beckett only shows you the lowest and highest price paid

I've tried this with no success.

I found this...

www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/michael-jordan-1984-showtime-gold-usa-308098463

...but I'm not sure what that "$1000" means.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)

I've tried this with no success.

I found this...

www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/michael-jordan-1984-showtime-gold-usa-308098463

...but I'm not sure what that "$1000" means.

do you have an account with blowoutcards.com/forums? you can ask there. if you dont have an account there, i can ask, i have an account

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)

Kinda bad because you won't get a dependable answer that you can reference when trying to sell it. However, it tells you absolutely nothing about the value of the card. There's mountains of crappy promo stuff with minimal value that won't be listed (some of it in my room), but there's also probably a few rare items with actual market value.

I would guess it's not totally worthless because it's MJ from early in his career, but that could still mean $20 or considerably more.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
ok, i posted and ill let you know

Much appreciated Melissa!

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
Kinda bad because you won't get a dependable answer that you can reference when trying to sell it. However, it tells you absolutely nothing about the value of the card. There's mountains of crappy promo stuff with minimal value that won't be listed (some of it in my room), but there's also probably a few rare items with actual market value.

I would guess it's not totally worthless because it's MJ from early in his career, but that could still mean $20 or considerably more.

That makes sense.

I'm not sure what to expect.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Steve I want one of those "Jimmy Gets Buckets" shirts

You weren't the only person to request that - so AJ and I just launched a new one.

http://teespring.com/jimmy-gets-buckets-2

It's slightly different than run one, because just throwing the same design up there would be lame.

shirtFront.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Leaf-300-Fran...11#ht_178wt_917

That card is damn near perfect, and it's selling for $22. Ten years ago, that card would be $220. It doesn't matter what kind, cards just aren't that valuable anymore.

It's freaking Jordan. He's one of the few that still has value, though scs787 doesn't exactly have a 84/85 Star or 86/87 Fleer.

Edited by ZoomSlowik