NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
That video was from Feb 24, 2009.

LOL. thats hilarious then. It doesnt make sense why it is a summer workout when it took place in season though

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
LOL. thats hilarious then. It doesnt make sense why it is a summer workout when it took place in season though

My mistake. June 24th.

I got tricked the same way, bunch of people started commenting on it, and it popped up on my news feed, video went completely viral all over again.

Edited by Knuckles

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Hinrich might have had a lot more value to the Bulls last year if he hadn't been playing starters minutes in some games.

That's true but the Bulls knew Rose was going to miss much of the year so everyone knew the bulk of the playing time would go to Hinrich. Now he's got a few more injuries under his belt and is another year older and I don't think he is capable of defending up to his past standards nor is he much of an offensive threat.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
I'm just bothered by committing to Hinrich and Mohammed mostly. Mohammed saw no minutes until the injuries really piled up and Hinrich's value is tied to playing time and if he can't stay healthy he's worthless. Plus if there's one constant criticism of Thib's, who everyone seems to love, it's that he plays a guy like Deng too many minutes which takes a toll eventually and might tie into all the injuries the Bulls had last year.

Nazr showed himself to be a more than capable backup C last year, though it was clear he had to earn Thibs' trust at first. Hinrich should be healthier in much lower-usage role and will strengthen both guard spots on the bench. Snell and Dunleavy are both very legitimate options to offer Butler and Deng relief, so neither of Deng/Butler need to have freakish minutes. Taj is Taj, it would be great to see him get back to his pre-contract play this year with a healthier knee. I don't know how much you'll see Teague; I'm guessing you'll see more Snell than Teague.

It'll be fine, as it always is. I shall never forget the mass panic about the dismantling of our bench last offseason, so I'm not biting on the panic button now. The players have never been good, that's why they are bench guys. Our coach knows how to coach them and how to use them in a way that hides their weaknesses and I don't expect much to change.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Nazr showed himself to be a more than capable backup C last year, though it was clear he had to earn Thibs' trust at first. Hinrich should be healthier in much lower-usage role and will strengthen both guard spots on the bench. Snell and Dunleavy are both very legitimate options to offer Butler and Deng relief, so neither of Deng/Butler need to have freakish minutes. Taj is Taj, it would be great to see him get back to his pre-contract play this year with a healthier knee. I don't know how much you'll see Teague; I'm guessing you'll see more Snell than Teague.

It'll be fine, as it always is. I shall never forget the mass panic about the dismantling of our bench last offseason, so I'm not biting on the panic button now. The players have never been good, that's why they are bench guys. Our coach knows how to coach them and how to use them in a way that hides their weaknesses and I don't expect much to change.

Yeah, I'm down with this. Thibs gets the benefit of the doubt until one of his teams actually flops.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
That's true but the Bulls knew Rose was going to miss much of the year so everyone knew the bulk of the playing time would go to Hinrich. Now he's got a few more injuries under his belt and is another year older and I don't think he is capable of defending up to his past standards nor is he much of an offensive threat.

I thought the plan was to cover the minutes as well as possible until Rose returned in February, at which point Hinrich could take a break and rest his legs.

Oops.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Which is weird, because you normally don't like terrible players...

I know, right! We all have our vices. One of mine is the heart, hustle, and muscle of one Tyler Hansbrough.

Tyler-Hansbrough.jpg

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

I don't think it's wise to rely on old and injury prone guys for a core who is getting punished by mass minutes . Ideally more youth and athleticism is probably needed or a veteran who used to be an elite player. Maybe Snell can help with that part. I know everyone is putting their trust in Thibs and the return of Rose but the bench isn't strong enough to compete for a championship unless most of you don't think the Bulls can compete for that this year anyway.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
I don't think it's wise to rely on old and injury prone guys for a core who is getting punished by mass minutes . Ideally more youth and athleticism is probably needed or a veteran who used to be an elite player. Maybe Snell can help with that part. I know everyone is putting their trust in Thibs and the return of Rose but the bench isn't strong enough to compete for a championship unless most of you don't think the Bulls can compete for that this year anyway.

I feel like this bench is stronger than the 2011 Bulls bench after the signing of Dunleavy honestly...the downgrade is the lack of Asik, but the backcourt is significantly deeper and thanks to this draft there's more than 1 guy who can shoot. The thing that really helps though is that the Bulls don't have to play a backup as their starting guard because of Butler, they can play Butler a good number of minutes and then use their backups as backups.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
Because he's the white LeBron.

He's the white AJ Pierzynski in that you hate him unless he's on your team. But I just don't think he's very good. He can get loose balls but that's about it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
He's the white AJ Pierzynski in that you hate him unless he's on your team. But I just don't think he's very good. He can get loose balls but that's about it.

Oh yeah. He sucks. I still like him for some reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I feel like this bench is stronger than the 2011 Bulls bench after the signing of Dunleavy honestly...the downgrade is the lack of Asik, but the backcourt is significantly deeper and thanks to this draft there's more than 1 guy who can shoot. The thing that really helps though is that the Bulls don't have to play a backup as their starting guard because of Butler, they can play Butler a good number of minutes and then use their backups as backups.

I don't really see their backcourt depth being that great. Right now they have two decent options with Dunleavy and Hinrich, a rookie wing that may or may not be useful, and Teague, who probably won't have much of an impact unless Rose has injury issues again. The 2011 group had three useful veterans with Watson, Korver and Brewer. Given that they had two options at center instead of one, the 2011 group was deeper and more versatile.

I do agree that it helps that Butler is starting instead of Bogans. However, they need at least one more useful big and it probably wouldn't hurt to have one more veteran wing in case of emergency. Butler/Deng/Dunleavy can handle pretty much every minute if they're healthy, but Snell probably isn't ready for the load if something happens to one of them.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I'm not really understanding the Pelicans right now. First they give up a ton to get Jrue Holiday, who's a decent but not stellar PG. Then they make a 4-44 offer sheet to Tyreke Evans, who can't shoot and can struggle when he's off the ball. Oh, and Eric Gordon is still on the roster and will be difficult to move. Their one saving grace is that their pick might end up in the top-5 next year when Gordon inevitably gets hurt, which means they get to keep it. Well, assuming Anthony Davis doesn't dominate and single-handedly send the pick to Philly.

I'm going to go ahead and say that Jrue Holiday is much better than a decent point guard. Guy is 23 years old just off his first all star game, very bright future and still getting better. Now he'll have some more weapons (as sad as that sounds) than he did in Philly

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
I don't really see their backcourt depth being that great. Right now they have two decent options with Dunleavy and Hinrich, a rookie wing that may or may not be useful, and Teague, who probably won't have much of an impact unless Rose has injury issues again. The 2011 group had three useful veterans with Watson, Korver and Brewer. Given that they had two options at center instead of one, the 2011 group was deeper and more versatile.

I do agree that it helps that Butler is starting instead of Bogans. However, they need at least one more useful big and it probably wouldn't hurt to have one more veteran wing in case of emergency. Butler/Deng/Dunleavy can handle pretty much every minute if they're healthy, but Snell probably isn't ready for the load if something happens to one of them.

Just match up the backcourts and why I think they're deeper shows up (not just in number of bodies)

Rose

Watson

Korver

Brewer

Bogans

Rose

Hinrich

Butler

Dunleavy

Snell

Teague

If it wasn't for Butler in there, yes it would be less deep because one of the guys would be shoved into a starting role. Instead, the bench is shifted back a slot. There are now more than 1 guy who can shoot the 3, and at least 1 guy who can shoot the 3 ball isn't a complete liability on the defensive end. There are a couple defensive guys (hinrich and Butler) but they're better scorers already than the guys on the 2011 squad (and we all know that if he's healthy Hinrich can handle some of the duties at the 2) And to top that off, there's a backup PG wild card thrown in who might be able to develop into more of a slasher/driver/creator than the guys on the 2011 team if he's pushed.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm going to go ahead and say that Jrue Holiday is much better than a decent point guard. Guy is 23 years old just off his first all star game, very bright future and still getting better. Now he'll have some more weapons (as sad as that sounds) than he did in Philly

He just had incredible usage last year. Usage = stats. He shot 43% and turned the ball over 4 times per game.

Further proof that young, athletic point guards are now a dime a dozen, Eric Bledsoe nets you JJ Reddick.

Suns acquired PG Eric Bledsoe as part of a three-team trade with the Clippers and Bucks.

Bledsoe and Caron Butler go to the Suns, Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick go to the Clippers and the Bucks get two second-round draft picks. Redick gets a four-year, $27 million deal with L.A. as part of a sign-and-trade.

Dudley and Reddick does add some much-needed 3 point sauce to the Clippers.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
Carl Landry might sign with them tonight too. Amazing off season for the Clippers. Someone must have had a gun pointed at the Suns. Clips are the early favorites out West for now.

If Westbrook is 100% and Howard goes to Houston and is like Orlando Dwight, I like them both better. And Memphis.

Will Blake start hitting mid rangers? They lost in the first round. Does this move put them from that to favs in West?