NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
If the Pacers end up losing that series, the Bulls really blew their chance to make it to the ECF.. I think if Thibs wasn't so stubborn with his rotations we would have been better off

Meh, the East is the D League compared to the West. Getting to the ECFs only to get destroyed by Miami wouldn't impress me in the least. With losing in the first round, hopefully GarPax finally get it through their thick skulls that we aren't as close to being legit as they'd like to believe and maybe they'll do something about it. I doubt it though.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Meh, the East is the D League compared to the West. Getting to the ECFs only to get destroyed by Miami wouldn't impress me in the least. With losing in the first round, hopefully GarPax finally get it through their thick skulls that we aren't as close to being legit as they'd like to believe and maybe they'll do something about it. I doubt it though.

POTY

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Any predictions on Silvers action today? I think "indefinite suspension while investigation is done"

Required to be naked at games, required to sit handcuffed to a chair at the main entrance, require Clippers to host "Maple Syrup Night" when the Grizzlies are in town, require Grizzlies to have a trio of real live bears as mascots.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Required to be naked at games, required to sit handcuffed to a chair at the main entrance, require Clippers to host "Maple Syrup Night" when the Grizzlies are in town, require Grizzlies to have a trio of real live bears as mascots.

I'd make him sit next to "Tumbleweed" from last nights Sox game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Any predictions on Silvers action today? I think "indefinite suspension while investigation is done"

Sterling wont last long, even without major sanctions.

The Clippers will have no sponsors. Doc Rivers is rumored to be leaving the team after the season if Sterling is still around. Players will demand to be traded or released. It's going to be pretty for him.

That being said, I think Silver will very seriously look at the "nuclear" option of taking the team from him of he doesnt agree to sell ASAP.

If I'm Silver, I dont want Sterling to be able to sell the team. He'll make 100s of millions of dollars by selling it. Leave him with nothing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
If I'm Silver, I dont want Sterling to be able to sell the team. He'll make 100s of millions of dollars by selling it. Leave him with nothing.

The guy is a scumbag POS, but you can't take his property from him (which sounds awful in context, but I am obviously talking about the Clippers franchise).

Sterling will make money whether he sells or keeps, it doesnt matter. He made millions paying his players and staff nothing, for decades. He can go back to that model and give no cares about it. The NBA needs to figure out a way to convince him that it is in his best interest to sell, and sell quickly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
The guy is a scumbag POS, but you can't take his property from him (which sounds awful in context, but I am obviously talking about the Clippers franchise).

The NBAs constitution says you can take the franchise from him if there is a 3/4ths vote by the owners.

How NBA could deliver knockout blow to Clippers owner Donald Sterling

Several league officials – including owners and Board of Governors members – told Yahoo Sports they believe Silver has been studying the nuclear option on Sterling: a provision in the NBA's bylaws that would allow Silver to summon a vote of league owners to strip Sterling of his ownership. The NBA would run the Clippers until the team could be sold.
Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)

This so hard.

I understand people are upset but the man is entitled to his own thoughts. I think the free market might take over here and he'll probably move the team to Seattle.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
The phrase "strip Sterling of his ownership" makes me think the NBA would have 100% ownership and would be the recipients of the cash.

I strongly doubt this. If he were gambling or not paying his bills, they may be able to do something like that, but if they strip him of ownership, they are merely forcing him to sell the team and they would take controlling interest in it.

I'm no legal expert, but just taking a $1 billion piece of property from someone seems to be theft property.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
I strongly doubt this. If he were gambling or not paying his bills, they may be able to do something like that, but if they strip him of ownership, they are merely forcing him to sell the team and they would take controlling interest in it.

I'm no legal expert, but just taking a $1 billion piece of property from someone seems to be theft property.

I think the legal part of this is that it's a "franchise". I dont know how property vs franchises work.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Rumor is indefinite suspension and $5million fine.

Looks like he will retain ownership, for now.

I am in no way defending him or what he said, but does anyone else have a major issue with him being fined for comments made in private that someone illegally recorded without one party being aware? To me, the legality of such a thing seems a bit tenuous

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
I am in no way defending him or what he said, but does anyone else have a major issue with him being fined for comments made in private that someone illegally recorded without one party being aware? To me, the legality of such a thing seems a bit tenuous

It's the NBA. It's not like the federal government is fining him.