Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
We have an opening at 1b and there's a Cuban 1b available. I can't get past that. The fit is too good.

If you can fill that spot, then it all becomes up to management about which guys they hold. Do they think Phegley can be legit in his 2nd year or Flowers can be a lot better after surgery? Do they think Beckham can stay healthy and his problems last year were injury only? Do they think Viciedo and Garcia can hit? Do they think De Aza can remember how to run the bases and so on? And what's available in trades that would be better than those guys?

I can make guesses about those but those are the things Rick Hahn has to decide.

Couldn't agree more at 1B.

Like you said there are so many guesses and prayers with the young guys. It's still possible KW's plan with all these guys he acquired pans out, just later than expected. But s***, I hope Rick is decisive enough to just move on at some positions. Selling low sucks but so does holding on to a losing hand praying for a good river card.

Too bad Tank, Beckham and Flowers suck. Man we'd be so good if they lived up to potential. Prospects.....ughhhh.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Couldn't agree more at 1B.

Like you said there are so many guesses and prayers with the young guys. It's still possible KW's plan with all these guys he acquired pans out, just later than expected. But s***, I hope Rick is decisive enough to just move on at some positions. Selling low sucks but so does holding on to a losing hand praying for a good river card.

Too bad Tank, Beckham and Flowers suck. Man we'd be so good if they lived up to potential. Prospects.....ughhhh.

I wouldn't put Tank into the suck category. He's still developing and at the age of 24. He has put up better number than Rizzo so far in his career with only 25 more at bats and a higher OPS, and Rizzo is considered part of the future. Flowers is terrible and Beckham showed life last year until the wrist and quad injuries slowed him down.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
I wouldn't put Tank into the suck category. He's still developing and at the age of 24. He has put up better number than Rizzo so far in his career with only 25 more at bats and a higher OPS, and Rizzo is considered part of the future. Flowers is terrible and Beckham showed life last year until the wrist and quad injuries slowed him down.

It is strange that Sox fans are more optimistic about Cub players versus their own.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
It is strange that Sox fans are more optimistic about Cub players versus their own.

Exactly. We just think that because Theo and Jed are there now that they are going to become a contender within a couple years. Truth is, if they miss on this next manager selection and the prospects don't pan out, Theo is the blame.

Viciedo is just as much part of the future as is Avisail Garcia in my opinion.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Exactly. We just think that because Theo and Jed are there now that they are going to become a contender within a couple years. Truth is, if they miss on this next manager selection and the prospects don't pan out, Theo is the blame.

And the decade-of-suck Tampa rebuild format will look absolutely idiotic in a large market, because it is.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
While he certainly could be as important to our future as Avi I think Garcia is a much surer bet.

While I really doubt it happens I think we have to move on from Beckham but it seems Semien at 3B is the plan.

I don't think they've decided on a plan for Semien yet, nor should they have.

There's a strong chance that a Keppinger + Gillaspie platoon at 3b and Semien at 2b could produce a lot more offense at a lower cost than Semien at 3b and Beckham at 2b.

And there is still time for them to decide to keep Semien as a SS as well. I still think Marcus should start next year at AAA unless a really good trade comes along and the decision time should be the trade deadline next year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 12, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)

Viciedo is just as much part of the future as is Avisail Garcia in my opinion.

I think there is a big difference between the 2. Viciedo is slow and a below average outfielder. He is pretty much a one dimensional player. He is playing LF because he is on a bad team and the only other place you can hide him is at DH. Now maybe his weight hurts him but if he drops 20 lbs his offense may be adversly affected.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 13, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I think there is a big difference between the 2. Viciedo is slow and a below average outfielder. He is pretty much a one dimensional player. He is playing LF because he is on a bad team and the only other place you can hide him is at DH. Now maybe his weight hurts him but if he drops 20 lbs his offense may be adversly affected.

Last year Viciedo was bad in the outfield. But 2 years ago, he was very competent in the outfield and still has a great arm that runners do not run on, and if they do, their most likely out because he is accurate with his throws.

Mind you, Viciedo has been exploring 3 positions already ever since he was signed, that is very hard on a player and a lot to learn. It might be just me but I like Viciedo and think he can be a very key asset to this team in the future.

I'm calling it now... Don't be surprised if Sale is traded this winter. His value is absolutely beyond high right now and who knows just how much longer he will stay healthy with his current mechanics. My question for you guys is, If the White Sox can net three top 50 prospects and two mlb level position players (or something along those lines) would you pull that trigger?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm calling it now... Don't be surprised if Sale is traded this winter. His value is absolutely beyond high right now and who knows just how much longer he will stay healthy with his current mechanics. My question for you guys is, If the White Sox can net three top 50 prospects and two mlb level position players (or something along those lines) would you pull that trigger?

Chris Sale isn't going anywhere. Forget it.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)

You can call it all you want to, but I am going to be beyond surprised if a starter who is 24 years old, signed to an incredibly team friendly contract, and will finish in the top 10 in Cy Young balloting for the 2nd year in a row is traded, especially by a franchise that feels they are going to compete this year. They would need a package that includes, at minimim, 4 top prospects. No team wants to give that up for a pitcher that they almost certainly deem to be a health risk (regardless of whether those thoughts and fears are subtantiated or not).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
You can call it all you want to, but I am going to be beyond surprised if a starter who is 24 years old, signed to an incredibly team friendly contract, and will finish in the top 10 in Cy Young balloting for the 2nd year in a row is traded, especially by a franchise that feels they are going to compete this year. They would need a package that includes, at minimim, 4 top prospects. No team wants to give that up for a pitcher that they almost certainly deem to be a health risk (regardless of whether those thoughts and fears are subtantiated or not).

Many teams were asking Hahn about him during the deadline this summer... Is it a reach to deal him now? Yes... But if the Red Sox offered up Bogaerts, Bradley, Webster and Owens... You would have to consider it, right? sorry but this team has way too many holes to compete next year... If Hahn wants "sustained" long term success he needs to first address the depth chart in the minors... as of right now, they have crud for position players.

Trading Sale will hurt... But the long term benefits to such a deal may be worth it...

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Many teams were asking Hahn about him during the deadline this summer... Is it a reach to deal him now? Yes... But if the Red Sox offered up Bogaerts, Bradley, Webster and Owens... You would have to consider it, right? sorry but this team has way too many holes to compete next year... If Hahn wants "sustained" long term success he needs to first address the depth chart in the minors... as of right now, they have crud for position players.

Trading Sale will hurt... But the long term benefits to such a deal may be worth it...

Of course you are right. There is only so much one player can do. Since rebuild is winning the popular vote rather than retool.what you suggest should get more support. I wouldn't do it because I beleive in retooling ,to use the young starters for competing next year and beyond with a few key bats picked up in the next few years. So either the rebuilders haven't spoken up yet or they really don't want to rebuild without Sale.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Of course you are right. There is only so much one player can do. Since rebuild is winning the popular vote rather than retool.what you suggest should get more support. I wouldn't do it because I beleive in retooling ,to use the young starters for competing next year and beyond with a few key bats picked up in the next few years. So either the rebuilders haven't spoken up yet or they really don't want to rebuild without Sale.

Rebuilding without Sale will be a tough pill to swallow. However, rebuilding will be MUCH easier to do if you deal a player of his caliber. His value is tremendous and the return package will be fantastic. Believe me. im a HUGE Sale fan and would hate to see him go.. but IM a White Sox fan first and I believe the longterm impact from such a deal can be very rewarding.

The Mariners traded Randy Johnson to Houston for Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama... You would think Hahn can pull off a deal even better than that.....

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
Rebuilding without Sale will be a tough pill to swallow. However, rebuilding will be MUCH easier to do if you deal a player of his caliber. His value is tremendous and the return package will be fantastic. Believe me. im a HUGE Sale fan and would hate to see him go.. but IM a White Sox fan first and I believe the longterm impact from such a deal can be very rewarding.

The Mariners traded Randy Johnson to Houston for Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama... You would think Hahn can pull off a deal even better than that.....

You suggest that as if it's a good return. Carlos Guillen hit .264/.335/.383/.718 with the Mariners, Freddy Garcia was an innings eater but, other than an incredible 2001, was pretty much your run of the mill #3 starter for them, and John Halama was a 27 year old soft-tossing lefty who was a virtual non-prospect at the time of the deal. The fact that he pitched as long as he did was a miracle.

I hope you are not using that as an example of what the Sox should get for Sale, because even getting more than that would be incredibly disappointing. If nothing else, you've established exactly WHY you don't trade Chris Sale.

The hope is that you get a package like the Orioles got for Bedard or the Marlins got for Beckett, but even those deals had their weak points. Fact is, the closest the White Sox will be to legitimately competing will come with Sale on the roster. If you want to stockpile the system, then sign a bunch of guys to one year contracts and don't be afraid to trade.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
You suggest that as if it's a good return. Carlos Guillen hit .264/.335/.383/.718 with the Mariners, Freddy Garcia was an innings eater but, other than an incredible 2001, was pretty much your run of the mill #3 starter for them, and John Halama was a 27 year old soft-tossing lefty who was a virtual non-prospect at the time of the deal. The fact that he pitched as long as he did was a miracle.

I hope you are not using that as an example of what the Sox should get for Sale, because even getting more than that would be incredibly disappointing. If nothing else, you've established exactly WHY you don't trade Chris Sale.

The hope is that you get a package like the Orioles got for Bedard or the Marlins got for Beckett, but even those deals had their weak points. Fact is, the closest the White Sox will be to legitimately competing will come with Sale on the roster. If you want to stockpile the system, then sign a bunch of guys to one year contracts and don't be afraid to trade.

I agree fully.

For hypothetical purposes, we will say that the Pirates offered Jameson Taillon, Alen Hanson, Gregory Polanco, and Harold Ramirez, 4 guys considered to be pretty good prospects. Some might say that's overpaying, though I disagree. But that could flame out for the Sox too: rather than a top of the rotation starter, Taillon could be a middle of the rotation guy who just so happens to have great stuff, Hanson could prove to be merely an average to below average shortstop, Polanco could be a high average, low power guy, and Ramirez could flame out. Is that enough value for Sale?

No, trading Sale is silly until he has 2 years remaining on his deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Now that would be one worth talking about.

It's interesting from the Sox perspective, but the Marlins would turn it down in a second. Even with Stanton in the lineup, the Marlins' team splits were .231/.293/.335/.627. Logan Morrison and Christian Yelich were their only two competent hitters. That team was just awful offensively.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
It's interesting from the Sox perspective, but the Marlins would turn it down in a second. Even with Stanton in the lineup, the Marlins' team splits were .231/.293/.335/.627. Logan Morrison and Christian Yelich were their only two competent hitters. That team was just awful offensively.

A trade like that probably never happens in real life, but that is the type of deal I would take for Chris Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
A trade like that probably never happens in real life, but that is the type of deal I would take for Chris Sale.

The problem is, that Stanton wants a mega-deal. It would be a waste for a short term solution with this franchise right now.