Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Because he walked 4.5 batters an inning at AA and, despite a good strikeout rate, still had a 3.9 ERA. Really, if you can't get AA hitters out with pure stuff (low 90s fastball, curveball, changeup), or you can't locate it well enough to do so, you are going to struggle in the majors.

In fairness, Vance was very good until the last few weeks of the season when it went to hell. Maybe he got tired.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
Because he walked 4.5 batters an inning at AA and, despite a good strikeout rate, still had a 3.9 ERA. Really, if you can't get AA hitters out with pure stuff (low 90s fastball, curveball, changeup), or you can't locate it well enough to do so, you are going to struggle in the majors.

not quite

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
In fairness, Vance was very good until the last few weeks of the season when it went to hell. Maybe he got tired.

You still want to see him do it at AAA first. The only time you can legitimately skip a reliever a full level like that is when it's a guy like Bobby Jenks who throws 102 MPH

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
not quite

Ha, you're right. 4.5 per 9. Actually 4.7, but I figured I'd give a rough estimate. I don't lose anything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
You still want to see him do it at AAA first. The only time you can legitimately skip a reliever a full level like that is when it's a guy like Bobby Jenks who throws 102 MPH

Yes, and he's also a few years younger than the other relief options. I think he's a more likely candidate for the '15 pen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 08:15 AM)
14? What guys do you think will be non-tendered?

I have 8, and I'm not even confident about that-

Deuente Heath

David Purcey

Ramon Troncoso

Bryan Anderson

Paul Konerko

Mike McDade

Brent Morel

Blake Tekotte

There are other guys that CAN, but those would really be moves made out of necessity.

I agree with your 8 names above. I would add Molina and Mitchell, possibly Axelrod, Castro, Veal.

I'm sure Sox will give Mitchell another year, but to me his departure is inevitable. These other players, all pitchers, might be kept only for the Charlotte roster. That does not justify keeping them all on the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
I agree with your 8 names above. I would add Molina and Mitchell, possibly Axelrod, Castro, Veal.

I'm sure Sox will give Mitchell another year, but to me his departure is inevitable. These other players, all pitchers, might be kept only for the Charlotte roster. That does not justify keeping them all on the 40 man roster.

Is Molina on the 40 man already? I think they were optimistic about what they saw from him out of the penn.

I believe Bucket mentioned earlier in the thread that the Sox front office were looking heavy into Pence this off season.

Well Heyman just tweeted that Pence and the Giants are close to a deal near 90 million. 5 year deal for 90 million.

Thoughts? Would you give Choo 5/90?

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

Given how right-handed dominant the pitching is in our division (other than the Sox, obviously), we're the perfect landing spot for him. Will be interesting to see how high the bidding gets for guys like him and Ellsbury, especially with the new TV money coming and limited FA studs available.

Also, since my wife is Korean, this would go a long way toward making her a Sox fan, which would be nice for planning future vacations. :)

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
I believe Bucket mentioned earlier in the thread that the Sox front office were looking heavy into Pence this off season.

Well Heyman just tweeted that Pence and the Giants are close to a deal near 90 million. 5 year deal for 90 million.

God no. He'd be a $90 million platoon player now.

My ideal yet unrealistic team-

Transactions-

CF Grady Sizemore signed to 3 year/ 30 million dollar deal. I have no idea if the price is too high or low, but coming off an injury I'd have to imagine he's not looking for 5/90.

LHP Hector Santiago traded to Angels for 1B/DH/3B Mark Trumbo.

RHP Gavin Floyd re-signed for 1 year/ 3 million dollars. This is to give some younger arms a bit more time in the minors.

RHP Jesse Crain signed for 2 years/ 9 million.

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia signed for 2 years/ 5 million.

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Danks

4. Floyd

5. Johnson

Bullpen

Reed

Crain

Veal

Vance

Webb

Jones

Minor League Starter such as Rienzo or Leesman to handle long relief

C- Salty

1B- Trumbo

2B- Beckham

3B- Keppinger

SS- Ramirez

LF- Viciedo

CF- Sizemore

RF- Garcia

Bench Notables-

Flowers

Jordan Danks

Semien

Gillaspie

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
Allow me to make a leap. Starting center fielder- Grady Sizemore.

Get ready to be "flamed". I was really beaten up pretty good, when I suggested it. But, just between the two of us, I think it's a great idea. SHHHH!

I would think that Sizemore would want a one year deal, so that he could prove he's healthy and still productive.

That would be even better for the Sox.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
Get ready to be "flamed". I was really beaten up pretty good, when I suggested it. But, just between the two of us, I think it's a great idea. SHHHH!

I would think that Sizemore would want a one year deal, so that he could prove he's healthy and still productive.

That would be even better for the Sox.