Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
I've changed my mind on this, the Sox should listen to offers for Sale. Combined with the money they have to spend and the #3 pick, the package they could get in return for him could definitely jump start the rebuild.

If someone calls and says they're interested in Chris Sale, you don't hang up the phone. No team should ever do that. What you do say is that it's going to be incredibly difficult for us to deal him and no matter what your proposal is, we will have to take a lot of time to contemplate it. Beyond that, I really don't think trading him for prospects is the best option simply due to the flame out rates of prospects.

The most interesting trade in theory is one for Trout, because the Angels could actually use a big arm like that with their outfield depth. The problem is that you have to include more than just Sale because Trout is that good. You may be able to take a flier on a guy like Tommy Hanson, even if the Angels might DFA him anyways.

So, would you guys trade Sale and Santiago for Trout and Hanson?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
If someone calls and says they're interested in Chris Sale, you don't hang up the phone. No team should ever do that. What you do say is that it's going to be incredibly difficult for us to deal him and no matter what your proposal is, we will have to take a lot of time to contemplate it. Beyond that, I really don't think trading him for prospects is the best option simply due to the flame out rates of prospects.

The most interesting trade in theory is one for Trout, because the Angels could actually use a big arm like that with their outfield depth. The problem is that you have to include more than just Sale because Trout is that good. You may be able to take a flier on a guy like Tommy Hanson, even if the Angels might DFA him anyways.

In a heartbeat.

After watching all the great pitching in the playoffs I would be highly disappointed if the Sox trade Sale. This on the basis of what bucket said about the Sox not punting on 2014. IF the Sox want to rebuild I suppose it wouldn't be the worst idea I've heard. Trading Sale puts them at least 2 or 3 years away which, if that's what they wanna do then fine, I won't like it but whatever.

The deal would have to be more than the rumored Price deal of Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, Julio Urias, and Chris Withdrow. That's a huge package, which I'd love to have but I'd have to get back at least 1 more certainty in the deal, probably looking at Kenley Jansen here. I would have to really, really consider that deal.

An OF with Pederson, Garcia, and hopefully Viceido would be incredibly intriguing. A Seagar/Semien/Johnson/? infield would be highly intriguing as well. Adding Withdrow and Jansen to the pen with Nate Jones and Daniel Webb, while trading Reed could be fun as well, though they're all right handers.

Theoretically speaking that team would be incredibly cheap, if an ace somehow hit the market the Sox would have the funds to sign him, but how often does an ace hit the market? They would really have to bank on getting an ace in this years draft, which with the way the Sox develop pitching it's almost expected.

I kinda just talked myself into entertaining the thought, but the whole them not wanting to punt throws a wrench into the whole thing.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

Couple things on the trading Sale front:

1) Prospects flop at a high rate, so don't expect 4 good major leaguers if we acquire 4 top prospects for him (the Teixeira deal is the exception, not the rule)

2) Sale's potential surplus value is insanely large if he stays healthy, very few major leaguers are signed to such team friendly contracts so it's going to be hard to get a player of "equal value"

3) There are few true "aces" in baseball and the impact these select players can have a short playoff series is incredible, this value while difficult to measure needs be considered and reflected into any potential price a team pays for Sale

I'm against moving Sale because I don't think any team would meet the asking price it would take to get him but it can't hurt to listen to offers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
I'm against moving Sale because I don't think any team would meet the asking price it would take to get him but it can't hurt to listen to offers.

This is probably the best way to sum up my feelings as well.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
I'm calling it now... Don't be surprised if Sale is traded this winter. His value is absolutely beyond high right now and who knows just how much longer he will stay healthy with his current mechanics. My question for you guys is, If the White Sox can net three top 50 prospects and two mlb level position players (or something along those lines) would you pull that trigger?

So if Sale is an injury waiting to happen, why would a GM offer 3 top 50 prospects for him??? Remember all the great prospects "fans" thought Peavy would bring?? Well the Red Sox turned down Peavy for Bradley. If Sale is an endangered species as some feel, he will not bring back a windfall. Therefore I expect to see him in a White Sox uniform next spring ready to win 20 games next year.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
So if Sale is an injury waiting to happen, why would a GM offer 3 top 50 prospects for him??? Remember all the great prospects "fans" thought Peavy would bring?? Well the Red Sox turned down Peavy for Bradley. If Sale is an endangered species as some feel, he will not bring back a windfall. Therefore I expect to see him in a White Sox uniform next spring ready to win 20 games next year.

BIG difference between Chris Sale and Jake Peavy. Pretty much in every single way shape and form, Chris Sale blows away the worth of Jake Peavy.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
I've changed my mind on this, the Sox should listen to offers for Sale. Combined with the money they have to spend and the #3 pick, the package they could get in return for him could definitely jump start the rebuild.

You stated a couple months ago the "heavy lifting" on a rebuild was done. Now you are mentioning a jump start.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)

At this point people around the league probably realize that Sale is no more likely to get hurt than any other pitcher.

Damnit, you guys got me thinking about a potential 2016 lineup of...

1. Micah Johnson 2B L

2. Marcus Semien SS R

3. Joc Pederson CF L

4. Jose Abreu 1B R

5. Avisail Garcia RF R

6. Corey Seager 3B L

7. Dayan Viceido DH R

8. Alejandro De Aza LF L

9. Catcher McGee C

5 of #3 draft pick, Jose Quintana, Eric Johnson, Hector Santiago, Chris Beck, Chris Bassit, Julio Urias, Tyler Danish, Andre Reinzo, other break out pitchers.

the bullpen with Kenley Janson, Nate Jones, Daniel Webb, and Chris Withdrow as the RH bullpen guys.

Reed and few SPs can be traded to upgrade catcher, LH bullpen arms, and maybe ADA/Tank if they haven't really played like we hope.

With the board dead it doesn't hurt to think about.

Sale's contract only increases his value. 25 next opening day, $3.5 million next year, $6 million in 2015 $9,150,000 in 2016, $12 million in 2017, $12.5 million in 2018, and $13.5 million in 2019. Not only that, but each of those last 2 seasons has a $1 million buyout, so even if he did get severely injured, it wouldn't be that expensive.

You would have this guy for $57 million over 6 prime years. I can't think of anyone with his success and that little of guarantee over that long of time(considering today's pay) being traded, but the package would have to be unprecedented IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Sale's contract only increases his value. 25 next opening day, $3.5 million next year, $6 million in 2015 $9,150,000 in 2016, $12 million in 2017, $12.5 million in 2018, and $13.5 million in 2019. Not only that, but each of those last 2 seasons has a $1 million buyout, so even if he did get severely injured, it wouldn't be that expensive.

You would have this guy for $57 million over 6 prime years. I can't think of anyone with his success and that little of guarantee over that long of time(considering today's pay) being traded, but the package would have to be unprecedented IMO.

Fangraphs had him worth $25.6M this year. If you believe he can sustain that production, he's worth at least $153.6M over the life of his contract. That's nearly $100M in surplus value over the next six years and doesn't account for player costs going up significantly with the addition of new TV money (MLB & team specific deals). If he can stay healthy, I'm guessing his contract is the best potential value in modern baseball history, especially when you consider that at this point his deal doesn't include any pre-arb years.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I posted some deals I'd accept for Sale last time this was brought up...

Diamondbacks I'm asking Skaggs, Eaton, Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, Trahan.

Pirates I'm asking Tallion, Cole, Polanco, and Hanson.

Cardinals I'm asking Wacha, Martinez, Taveras, Adams, and Wong.

Red Sox I'm asking Bogaerts, Bradley, Owens, Ranuado, and Cecchini/Brentz

Orioles I'm asking Bundy, Britton, Rodriguez, Schoop, and Harvey.

The price for Sale is high, astronomical, unprecedented.

A team like the Orioles would have to take Dunn. The Cards Alexei. The Pirates Alexei and De Aza.

There is a price to get it done, but no team wants to pay it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I posted some deals I'd accept for Sale last time this was brought up...

Diamondbacks I'm asking Skaggs, Eaton, Owings, Davidson, Holmberg, Trahan.

Pirates I'm asking Tallion, Cole, Polanco, and Hanson.

Cardinals I'm asking Wacha, Martinez, Taveras, Adams, and Wong.

Red Sox I'm asking Bogaerts, Bradley, Owens, Ranuado, and Cecchini/Brentz

Orioles I'm asking Bundy, Britton, Rodriguez, Schoop, and Harvey.

The price for Sale is high, astronomical, unprecedented.

A team like the Orioles would have to take Dunn. The Cards Alexei. The Pirates Alexei and De Aza.

There is a price to get it done, but no team wants to pay it.

I'll be honest, if I am not getting a young superstar bat, I am not trading Chris Sale. Basically I want his equivalent as a hitter. I want Stanton. I want Trout. I don't want prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I'll be honest, if I am not getting a young superstar bat, I am not trading Chris Sale. Basically I want his equivalent as a hitter. I want Stanton. I want Trout. I don't want prospects.

I don't either. Unless it's Trout or Stanton, I want Sale.

Those are just packages I'd mull over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)

I'd just like to note, since I haven't said so recently, that basically every time this season people have advocated trading Sale, my immediate response has been something along the lines of "is Trout available yet".

Nice to see people coming around to my side :).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I'd just like to note, since I haven't said so recently, that basically every time this season people have advocated trading Sale, my immediate response has been something along the lines of "is Trout available yet".

Nice to see people coming around to my side :).

The only caveat I would list is if for some reason the franchise moved from a short rebuild to a long term one. In that case Sale would be the first guy I would trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
The only caveat I would list is if for some reason the franchise moved from a short rebuild to a long term one. In that case Sale would be the first guy I would trade.

If Rick Hahn is committed to 'doing things the right way', I think that the rebuild is going to take 3 years, and by the 2017 season starts Chris Sale will only be 27/28 and Avsail Garcia will only be 25 with their best years still ahead of them. Plus guys like Courtney Hawkins, Tyler Danish, and maybe Micker Zapata might be ready to contribute at the major league level.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 15, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
If Rick Hahn is committed to 'doing things the right way', I think that the rebuild is going to take 3 years, and by the 2017 season starts Chris Sale will only be 27/28 and Avsail Garcia will only be 25 with their best years still ahead of them. Plus guys like Courtney Hawkins, Tyler Danish, and maybe Micker Zapata might be ready to contribute at the major league level.

Those last 3 you name will be what, 20-22?

Seriously, even if those guys are close to the big leagues there's a good chance they won't be anywhere near ready to contribute at the major league level. They'd still be young for the upper minor league levels, let alone the majors.