Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 05:36 AM)
It makes sense that not every team wants their interest publicized, hoping the price in terms of prospects doesn't get crazy high. The greater number of teams, the more desperate some will be to overpay. It'll be interesting to see what scouts are still around today, or for Jakes next start.

I agree. I wouldn't be upset if they kept Jake. Our pitching has been the one bright spot this year. We just need to restock and reload the offense. Make some smart trades for guys like Owings and Polanco, and sign 2 free agents (granderson, moreau) and we can be back at a competitive level.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
Supposedly the deal for Garza with Texas was Olt, Ramirez, Sardinas, and Edwards. That is a ton for a 2 month rental. I would make that deal for Peavy. Of course the medical records need to be clean on those players.

I read that and that is just nuts. Makes you think what we can actually get for Peavy, in a good way if that deal is just for a 2 month rental.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
I agree. I wouldn't be upset if they kept Jake. Our pitching has been the one bright spot this year. We just need to restock and reload the offense. Make some smart trades for guys like Owings and Polanco, and sign 2 free agents (granderson, moreau) and we can be back at a competitive level.

If the sox don't trade Peavy this deadline, trades in the offseason would have to be centered around young, cost controlled pitching-Santiago, Reed, Quintana (though next to Sale is prob. One of the most valuable players) to get that offense. with the sellers market for SP, Peavy has to go for the sox to get key positional player prospects now. He's one of the few guys the sox have that can bring those players back.

I too was thinking about next years free agents, with Granderson making a ton of sense for the sox in the near short term, or a guy like Beltran.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
If the rumored return for Garza is right, we should be able to swing a franchise-changing kind of deal for Peavy if our GM can scout and negotiate well.

I agree Sox could swoop in and get a very good package.

The Texas deal was supposedly Garza and Russell. It was a 4 for 2 deal.

I definitely could see the Cardinals being interested in Peavy. My guess is that it would take Wong to headline the deal and I could see Ryan Jackson (ss) and Mark Rcepzynski (rp) plus someone like Tyler Lyons (sp) also icluded. If the White Sox like Cory Jones (sp) better, I coud see that, also. Since the White Sox like toolsy OFers, maybe Anthony Garcia would be of interest.

I am just spitballing here. The Cardinals did scout Peavy last nght, FWIW.

By the way, the DBacks GM has said publically that they can't take on any money.

Edited by mike65

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
If the rumored return for Garza is right, we should be able to swing a franchise-changing kind of deal for Peavy if our GM can scout and negotiate well.

Two of those pieces were supposedly Sardinas and Luke Jackson, both in the CAL league so the Sox should be familiar with them.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
I'm more sold on Davidson, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Owings.

Agree Davidson approach to hitting is more advanced to Owings. He's able to work a count and get on base at a higher clip.Owing is still a solid piece to a trade

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Sooner the better wrt trading Peavy. Risk of him getting injured again isn't worth holding out.

The sox definitely should hold out for the best deal. There's no rush to dump Peavy, even if he gets re-injured before the 31st. Then the Sox keep him for next year, worst case. Then they might have to trade a SP like Santiago instead in the offseason to help the offense.

But I could see a decent offer come even before his next start. Other teams know they're getting a guy who won't wilt under pressure, as long as the medical reports look good.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
Two of those pieces were supposedly Sardinas and Luke Jackson, both in the CAL league so the Sox should be familiar with them.

It actually wasn't Luke Jackson. It was Olt, Sardinas, CJ Edwards, and Neil Ramirez.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
The sox definitely should hold out for the best deal. There's no rush to dump Peavy, even if he gets re-injured before the 31st. Then the Sox keep him for next year, worst case. Then they might have to trade a SP like Santiago instead in the offseason to help the offense.

But I could see a decent offer come even before his next start. Other teams know they're getting a guy who won't wilt under pressure, as long as the medical reports look good.

I agree. With Peavy, Hahn has to get a great offer that can help this team next year or in 2 years offensively. If that can't be the case, then our rotation next year when healthy again is top 5 in the AL.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
It actually wasn't Luke Jackson. It was Olt, Sardinas, CJ Edwards, and Neil Ramirez.

I guess all the pieces haven't been publicized, all speculation, ESP. Who was injured.

But my point was the sox should be familiar with the Rangers prospects, from having teams in the same A and A+ leagues.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
The Texas deal was supposedly Garza and Russell. It was a 4 for 2 deal.

I definitely could see the Cardinals being interested in Peavy. My guess is that it would take Wong to headline the deal and I could see Ryan Jackson (ss) and Mark Rcepzynski (rp) plus someone like Tyler Lyons (sp) also icluded. If the White Sox like Cory Jones (sp) better, I coud see that, also. Since the White Sox like toolsy OFers, maybe Anthony Garcia would be of interest.

I am just spitballing here. The Cardinals did scout Peavy last nght, FWIW.

By the way, the DBacks GM has said publically that they can't take on any money.

He lied.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:55 AM)
I'm not concerned about the individual player. The only thing that matters is winning the game. It's fun to discuss the individual player but not directly relevant to the team. The stats were invented for arbitration to get the players more money to say that they were good regardless of the team winning.

Personally I enjoy watching the games and players. But in the end the only thing that matters for stats is wins and loses.

Thanks, Hawk.