Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
Maybe I should post this here too since the Cards guy posts in this thread.

Um. Really hope this isn't accurate. Martinez would be incredible for Alexei. Hell, Sickels has him as 9th best prospect in baseball on his newly released top 75.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

Seeing this twice made me go from anger and disbelief to shame and depression

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
Maybe I should post this here too since the Cards guy posts in this thread.

Um. Really hope this isn't accurate. Martinez would be incredible for Alexei. Hell, Sickels has him as 9th best prospect in baseball on his newly released top 75.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

Perhaps they're trying to build a bigger deal with Lexi to the Cards??? Like the one mentioned earlier??

Mannnn St. Louis Mike got my hopes up big time with that earlier rumor, that would have been incredible.

IMO Freese>Gillaspie so that's a plus right there and Adams has the potential to be a monster at 1B.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
This is a great thread and has been for 3 days or so. I only expect that to continue.

STL appreciate your input. Keep it up if you can.

Since I am still pretty new, I have no idea what the story is on 'bucket of suck' can someone please fill me in?

he's got a great line on trades and the inner workings.

I'm sorry but I don't want David Freese. Never really liked him. He is so hyped because of what he did in the playoffs but he hasn't done much since. I would rather keep Gillaspie and see if he can improve into next year. Would rather try to get a different player. And he is already 30 with injury problems

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
Peavy's scheduled to go Thursday afternoon, so I'd suspect that we'll get Boston's best offer by then.

I was thinking that teams may want to wait and see how he responds on this next outing.

It sure is that time of year again :)

Could really go either way

If there's one thing I absolutely trust about our organization it is the ability to evaluate pitching. Calling the FO dumb for not getting Martinez is ridiculous. Like we know better... GMAFB.

After reading about Martinez and looking at his stats for the last 10 minutes I can easily see reasons why he is exciting but also EASILY see reasons why he isn't enough to grab one of the top SS in MLB. Prospect overexcitement is a sickening disease.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:13 AM)
I'm sorry but I don't want David Freese. Never really liked him. He is so hyped because of what he did in the playoffs but he hasn't done much since. I would rather keep Gillaspie and see if he can improve into next year. Would rather try to get a different player. And he is already 30 with injury problems

Freese has never finished the year with less than a .292 average. Granted, last year was his first an an evryday player but he finished at .292 with 20 HR and a .839 OPS. He's at .275 and .734 this year. Gillaspie has a long way to go before he ever sniffs those numbers when seeing any significant playing time. Gillaspie may improve but Freese would be a huge upgrade.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:15 AM)
If there's one thing I absolutely trust about our organization it is the ability to evaluate pitching. Calling the FO dumb for not getting Martinez is ridiculous. Like we know better... GMAFB.

After reading about Martinez and looking at his stats for the last 10 minutes I can easily see reasons why he is exciting but also EASILY see reasons why he isn't enough to grab one of the top SS in MLB. Prospect overexcitement is a sickening disease.

Oh come on now...

We're talking a top 25 prospect for a now conceivably light hitting 32 yo SS(this coming from a Lexi supporter). If that offer was truly on the table and they don't include Ramirez in some kind of deal for something better I will be very very disappointed. Only if it comes out as truth though cause right now I'm not buying it.

Martinez is a guy who a lot of the masses here including St. Louis Mike don't even think we could get for Peavy and now we're talking about getting him for a powerless 32 yo SS??? No way Jose.

He's the same height as Santiago and weighs more than Sale, I don't wanna hear about his small stature. He's already been dominant post his shoulder tendinitis injury so I'm not worried about that either. What else don't you like about him?

Gonzales said the deal was "involving" those two players, so it was perhaps not a one-for-one swap.

This had to be the case. Maybe they wanted Peavy too....though idk why that news would be excluded.

Edited by scs787

If Jake to the Red Sox has legs, then either Jackie Bradley or Cecchini should be involved. If you get one of those two, the rest of the package are details. Important details nonetheless. But if the headliner is agreed to, then the filler is also something that can be worked out.

I can easily see a deal with Boston come soon after Thurs. if Peavy has another strong outing.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:39 AM)
If Jake to the Red Sox has legs, then either Jackie Bradley or Cecchini should be involved. If you get one of those two, the rest of the package are details. Important details nonetheless. But if the headliner is agreed to, then the filler is also something that can be worked out.

I can easily see a deal with Boston come soon after Thurs. if Peavy has another strong outing.

I think Hahn has effectively started a bidding war between the Cardinals and Red Sox.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I think Hahn has effectively started a bidding war between the Cardinals and Red Sox.

Which the sox have never played a part. We've always been the team that overlays for players at the deadline, not the sellers. Hence, you have a lot of skeptical Sox fans around here who don't think the returns will be that much for the top available SP. Another strong outing from Peavy and that should alleviate all reservations. any team in need of SP should want a guy like Peavy in their rotation in a pennant race-more so than Garza.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:35 AM)
Which the sox have never played a part. We've always been the team that overlays for players at the deadline, not the sellers. Hence, you have a lot of skeptical Sox fans around here who don't think the returns will be that much for the top available SP. Another strong outing from Peavy and that should alleviate all reservations. any team in need of SP should want a guy like Peavy in their rotation in a pennant race-more so than Garza.

Bucket said that things should happen soon, and that closer something gets, he can't say anything. This makes me think I don't think Peavy pitches tomorrow for the White Sox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Bucket said that things should happen soon, and that closer something gets, he can't say anything. This makes me think I don't think Peavy pitches tomorrow for the White Sox

I think he will, I think teams will be much happier trading for a guy who has done 3 starts post-rib-fracture, including 2 in the big leagues, than they would after only 1 big league start.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)

You could be right. Teams know what they're getting with Peavy. His arm isn't the issue. Just getting his wind back, sharpening, locating his stuff. As long as teams look at his medicals, and they show he's (hopefully) healthy, he could go before tomorrow. Boston might feel confident jakes healthy, and take the risk. The risk also exists for them that if jake throws well, the price may go up from others teams seeing him as less of a risk.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)

Great points.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
Bucket.. If had to guess will peavy make his start for us tomorrow

The guess is going to be yes.

Honestly, we need to stop pestering bucket for information. Be glad for the info that he does share with us, and let's leave it the luxury it is. He hears more than we do, but it's generally all speculation anyways.

I say this with no means to offend bucket by any stretch of the imagination, and we are greatful of any info posters on the site can share with us behind the machinations of the White Sox organization. At the same time, it's still hearsay and most of the time, the deal falls through and nothing comes of it.

This reminds me of my entrepreneurship class. You can think of 100 good business ideas. Of those, you may be able to make legitimate progress on 10 of them. Of those 10, you MIGHT get 1 to succeed. It's not a high probablity outcome.