2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 7, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
I think if Hoffman's there at #3 we take him. If he's not we take Beede.

I think this is realistic but the possibility of swinging for the fences with Aiken or Kolek will keep us all speculating.

I think the power profile is what separates Harper from Myers and Jackson. If Jackson showed plus plus power the way Harper did, he would be the #1 pick. I wouldn't mind Jackson if the Sox could get him to play a solid 3B, but I think that it has to be a pitcher at 3 given the makeup of this draft.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Myers has a solid arm, but he doesn't have the ability to play CF regularly or steal 25-35 bases, which Harper could do if he chose to change his game in that direction.

Considering the initial post was comparing Harper and Myers' bats, this does not make a lot of sense. Plus, if the biggest difference you can come up with is essentially that Harper is a little faster (and he's by no means head and shoulders faster than Myers), then I'd say they're pretty similar athletes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Considering the initial post was comparing Harper and Myers' bats, this does not make a lot of sense. Plus, if the biggest difference you can come up with is essentially that Harper is a little faster (and he's by no means head and shoulders faster than Myers), then I'd say they're pretty similar athletes.

When I read "comp," I'm thinking about the overall package of a player, who he's most reminiscent of in terms of all five tools. I didn't see it was just hitting-wise.

Everyone thinks of Harper as a dynamic, game-changing presence. I've never really gotten that feeling from Myers. He has the ability to be a very very good hitter, but superstar is maybe pushing it. Granted, some of that is the team/market and the early fame/accolades/controversy Harper engendered.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Ya. That's why I'd always take pitching. Not that always works

I'd be fine with Jackson if you could convince him to sign for less money, but as a high school player that wont happen.

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
They compared hawkins to kemp on draft day.

These are extremely loose projections that you can't base a decision on

Comps are made so you can get an idea of what kind of player could a prospect poetentially develop into. Wil Myers is another that has been thrown around I read someone say that Jackson should play third, if that's the case then why did the team trade for Davidson, if the White Sox draft Jackson they need to put him in RF and just let him focus on his bat which is elite.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Comps are made so you can get an idea of what kind of player could a prospect poetentially develop into. Wil Myers is another that has been thrown around I read someone say that Jackson should play third, if that's the case then why did the team trade for Davidson, if the White Sox draft Jackson they need to put him in RF and just let him focus on his bat which is elite.

But Sox brass have already stated that they plan on going after pitching and that they are prioritizing college pitchers.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
But Sox brass have already stated that they plan on going after pitching and that they are prioritizing college pitchers.

I don't think they've stated they plan on going after pitching, but that the pitching depth is very good and there are good arms. They likely have their mind made up, and it is likely to be a pitcher, but they could certainly see something new in a hitter in the next few weeks that turns their attention to something like that (or maybe one of those top hitters wants to sign for $500k, which incentivizes the Sox into taking him to save money elsewhere).

Lots of time for things to change still.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
I don't think they've stated they plan on going after pitching, but that the pitching depth is very good and there are good arms. They likely have their mind made up, and it is likely to be a pitcher, but they could certainly see something new in a hitter in the next few weeks that turns their attention to something like that (or maybe one of those top hitters wants to sign for $500k, which incentivizes the Sox into taking him to save money elsewhere).

Lots of time for things to change still.

I think Laumann said the top five players on their board were pitchers. If so, they better draft pitching (otherwise we aren't taking BPA).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
I think Laumann said the top five players on their board were pitchers. If so, they better draft pitching (otherwise we aren't taking BPA).

If they get a big enough savings out of the player they do sign, which allows them to bring in other players who were highly regarded but slipped due to demands, I am OK with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
If they get a big enough savings out of the player they do sign, which allows them to bring in other players who were highly regarded but slipped due to demands, I am OK with that.

Not sure I agree with that. If it's a coin flip then that's one thing, but we (hopefully) won't draft this high again for a long long time. At #3 overall I think you go for your guy.

If you can get your guy who you have projected at 1-2 and pick him at 3 and sign him underslot....that's one thing, if he was the player you wanted all along.

If he's a kid that should be 7-10 but the White Sox aren't picking him as the best player but the easiest sign (in order to spread that money around), then I would totally disagree with that strategy with a Top 5 pick.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/gam...-kyle-freeland/

Nice piece on Evansville's Kyle Freeland....he and TCU's Finnegan, both lefties, are moving up the board quickly and both sitting in the #8-16 range right now.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
If you can get your guy who you have projected at 1-2 and pick him at 3 and sign him underslot....that's one thing, if he was the player you wanted all along.

If he's a kid that should be 7-10 but the White Sox aren't picking him as the best player but the easiest sign (in order to spread that money around), then I would totally disagree with that strategy with a Top 5 pick.

I think that there are enough high ceiling arms in the top 5-6 picks that the Sox will be able to find someone that is willing to sign at or below slot that will allow them to have a strong rest of the draft.

They all know how important this draft is toward getting the organization back on the right track and they are going to do all they can to make sure they do just that.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I think that there are enough high ceiling arms in the top 5-6 picks that the Sox will be able to find someone that is willing to sign at or below slot that will allow them to have a strong rest of the draft.

They all know how important this draft is toward getting the organization back on the right track and they are going to do all they can to make sure they do just that.

Of the five arms you are referring too (Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, Aiken, Beede), two of them are HS players so I can guarantee you they won't sign under slot or quickly. Boras would never let Rodon sign underslot (especially at #3) so that leaves Hoffman and Beede. I think it's most likely that they would sign at slot and quickly. If you are hoping for the scenario where we would spread the cash around and get a top guy, you should be rooting for Hoffman or Beede.

If we go outside of those top five guys to draft a college guy far outside the top 5 who would go way underslot...I would be pretty pissed honestly. I don't understand the fixation on saving money when you picking this high in the draft. It's going to be slot money or slightly above to get an elite prospect that's available at #3 overall.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1h

Hearing LHP Brady Aiken, the top prospect for this year's #mlbdraft, is dealing today, hitting 96 at least six times already

If true, wow. Hitting 96 repeatedly as a HS lefty with advanced secondary stuff?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1h

Hearing LHP Brady Aiken, the top prospect for this year's #mlbdraft, is dealing today, hitting 96 at least six times already

If true, wow. Hitting 96 repeatedly as a HS lefty with advanced secondary stuff?

Haha that'd be awesome to have nasty Sale and Aiken and Quintana as a solid lefty.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1h

Aiken supposedly has 3 pitches that grade 60 or higher. Insane.