2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Maybe I'm just overthinking things, but hasnt it been plainly stated in this thread who the Sox want to be there at #3?

Yes. But, that person may not be there at #3. I think we all know option A, but if that is off the table, who knows what option B is? I think a lot of the speculation now is moving toward potential second round targets, and that will be greatly impacted but the deal the #3 pick gets.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Yes. But, that person may not be there at #3. I think we all know option A, but if that is off the table, who knows what option B is? I think a lot of the speculation now is moving toward potential second round targets, and that will be greatly impacted but the deal the #3 pick gets.

Wait, we do? Is option A Hoffman?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, since when did this get set in stone?

I mean, Hahn has said Rodon is the best college arm.

I don't know that it is in stone, but from the reports from those that have sources, the Sox are very much connected with Hoffman. We have heard that have had checked in on Beede and know they scouted an Aiken start, but in this thread by our insiders and in different scouting notes, the Sox are consistently linked with Hoffman. I think Hahn never dreamed that Rodon would be in the discussion, and you never know about the smokescreen he may be laying for negotiations or what not. It is more just an accumulation of indicators leading to a reasonable hypothesis than anything concrete. Of course, all of the Hoffman stuff could be smokescreen from the org as well but there has been little about other potential Sox targets other than Trea Turner.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, since when did this get set in stone?

I mean, Hahn has said Rodon is the best college arm.

Yeah, Hahn said this just a few weeks ago. IMO, Rodon & Hoffman are the top two guys. Rodon could very well price himself out of the equation for us. Not saying I agree with that, but Hahn may say f*** it, dealing with Boras and overslot demands is too costly for us when Hoffman is on the board and willing to sign quickly. This pick and draft in general is too important to deal with major signability concerns from the start.

Either way, I think we want Kolek & Aiken to go 1 & 2, so Hahn has the flexibility to pick the best college arm. Otherwise, a guy like Beede moves into the picture, as I don't see us taking a HS pitcher #3 overall. Obviously there's a first time for everything, but us taking Kolek or Aiken (less so) would be shocking. Just don't see it happening.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't know that it is in stone, but from the reports from those that have sources, the Sox are very much connected with Hoffman. We have heard that have had checked in on Beede and know they scouted an Aiken start, but in this thread by our insiders and in different scouting notes, the Sox are consistently linked with Hoffman. I think Hahn never dreamed that Rodon would be in the discussion, and you never know about the smokescreen he may be laying for negotiations or what not. It is more just an accumulation of indicators leading to a reasonable hypothesis than anything concrete. Of course, all of the Hoffman stuff could be smokescreen from the org as well but there has been little about other potential Sox targets other than Trea Turner.

I will become a Cubs fan if we take Trea Turner. Holy f*** would that suck.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I would take Rodon over Hoffman, even though the NC State coaches overpitch Rodon and likely will continue to do so.

Hoffman's numbers just don't do it for me; I know there is more there but I still don't get it. I saw him pitch once - not dominating at all.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
I would take Rodon over Hoffman, even though the NC State coaches overpitch Rodon and likely will continue to do so.

Hoffman's numbers just don't do it for me; I know there is more there but I still don't get it. I saw him pitch once - not dominating at all.

I'd rather have Hoffman at slot value or just under than Rodon at overslot $$.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
How many teams would actually be able to give Rodon money equivalent to the #1 pick?

Doesn't really matter, he's a junior and can simply go back to college. He & Boras may see this year as an outlier and feel confident and he can reenter the draft in 2015 and go 1-1 and get paid then. Not a risk I'd take if I was guaranteed 1-3 money right now, but Boras has done this before with Appel.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
No, HS stats are a lot harder to collect as they don't seemed to be reported with any consistency.

You're not kidding. I've tried multiple searches to find stats on their (Kolek, Aiken) latest outings and came up empty. Even looked at Kolek's HS web site and they don't post stats for their players. Hell, they don't even have a schedule up on their site.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
You can bet that Theo will go over their bonus pool by less 5% if he believes the player is worth it.

The White Sox's 1st round pick bonus pool alone is 23.9% higher than the Cubs 1st round pick bonus.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
You're not kidding. I've tried multiple searches to find stats on their (Kolek, Aiken) latest outings and came up empty. Even looked at Kolek's HS web site and they don't post stats for their players. Hell, they don't even have a schedule up on their site.

Honestly the best place to look is Twitter. Just type in the player's names and usually you have people supplying the statistics.

Kolek's Last Start

Dan Kirby ‏@DanMKirby 2h

Tyler Kolek had 14 K/0 BB over 7 on Friday. Now up to 89 K/3 BB over 40.1 IP. Getting at least a week of rest between starts. #MLBDraft

Brady Aiken's Last Start

Bodie DeSilva ‏@SDPreps Apr 9

Brady Aiken's days is over-- 5 1/3ip, 6H, 2R, 1BB, 8K's

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Honestly the best place to look is Twitter. Just type in the player's names and usually you have people supplying the statistics.

Kolek's Last Start

Brady Aiken's Last Start

Well that explains everything, I'm not on twitter so I never thought to look. Thank you for the tip, I'll keep an eye on twitter just to see how those kids are doing.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Well that explains everything, I'm not on twitter so I never thought to look. Thank you for the tip, I'll keep an eye on twitter just to see how those kids are doing.

Yeah you may want to just make an account. Everything is on twitter. I'm warning you ahead of time though that it's pretty much the greatest thing ever created.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Yeah you may want to just make an account. Everything is on twitter. I'm warning you ahead of time though that it's pretty much the greatest thing ever created.

If you pick good sources to follow, it is a great resource. You can distill it down to exactly what you want to read.

I will say that I think Hoffman has the most development left of all the three college pitchers talked about at the top and has the highest ceiling at this point. I think Beede has the highest floor as a #5 and the lowest ceiling as a 3. But you know you are getting an MLB caliber pitcher. Rodon's command has been so awful this season, his floor is now as a RP but still has a #1 ceiling. Hoffman is a guy that if gets to his ceiling can be a Cy Young guy, but will take the longest to reach the majors and his floor is probably as a AAA SP. I think Kolek's floor/ceiling are pretty close to Rodons and Aikens is more like Hoffmans.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
I stand by the thing that you try as hard as you can to get Rodon, though obviously within reason.

If he hits his ceiling, Rodon, Sale, and Q at the front of a rotation is terrifying.

The problem with Rodon is though he has an 80 slider, hitters can sit on it cause he can't throw anything else right now. I would take him at 3, but only for slot or below but you can't risk not signing him when the top of this draft is loaded with pitching and who knows what next years will produce.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)

I can see how one can get useful info but the social media thing just isn't me. I made an account last year that lasted about 30 minutes and deleted it. Started getting tweet updates from people I didnt follow and it instantly annoyed me right away.

As for the draft. I'm really losing faith in the college arms. I find I'm hoping more and more that we can draft Kolek or Aiken.