2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Not a chance. Nick Gordon, the son of Tom Gordon, will be the first SS off the board in the 8-15 range.

They had to have meant long term SS. Gatewood will go in the top 50, Gordon and Chavis as well, though none of them are locks at position long term.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
I read where Turner may be the only SS drafted in the top 250. If you get a good SS, you better keep him.

Hell, microscopic chance, but if Trey fell in the early second round, and we nab him, I'd do cartwheels.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Hell, microscopic chance, but if Trey fell in the early second round, and we nab him, I'd do cartwheels.

As would I. People talk about him as a utility infielder, but his ceiling is pretty high and even if he's just a utility infielder, that's still value from the draft. Most 2nd rounders never make the majors, so that'd be awesome for the Sox.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/thr...ikes-week-10-4/

Talking about possible 2nd rounders, nice write up Conor's younger brother, Casey. Sounds like he's got a nice bat, but he's a 1B and "he'll never be particularly rangy" at that position.

I wonder if the Sox would look at someone like Dylan Cease or Derek Fisher that were projected in the mid-first round but lost a chunk of their seasons due to injury. If you save some money at #3, making a run at a guy like that makes a ton of sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
As would I. People talk about him as a utility infielder, but his ceiling is pretty high and even if he's just a utility infielder, that's still value from the draft. Most 2nd rounders never make the majors, so that'd be awesome for the Sox.

I think he's being over analyzed at this point. Statistically, he has been almost identical to last year (13.8 BB%, 11.2 K%, .185 ISO in '13, 12.64 BB%, 10.3 K%, .177 ISO in '14). Perhaps the problem is a lack of progression? Power has really come on of late so still a great chance that he eclipses last year's ISO. Speed has fully returned after his injury last year (was clocked at 3.42 seconds to 1st earlier this year). I'd be shocked if he slips to the second round and honestly think there's a chance the Sox take him at 3, especially if Rodon/Hoffman are both gone.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
I think he's being over analyzed at this point. Statistically, he has been almost identical to last year (13.8 BB%, 11.2 K%, .185 ISO in '13, 12.64 BB%, 10.3 K%, .177 ISO in '14). Perhaps the problem is a lack of progression? Power has really come on of late so still a great chance that he eclipses last year's ISO. Speed has fully returned after his injury last year (was clocked at 3.42 seconds to 1st earlier this year). I'd be shocked if he slips to the second round and honestly think there's a chance the Sox take him at 3, especially if Rodon/Hoffman are both gone.

I think the need for a premiere pitcher (with their lack of pitching depth) is just too strong for the Sox to take another middle infielder. With that said, if they were picking in the 8-10 range, he absolutely would be a guy they would take.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
I think the need for a premiere pitcher (with their lack of pitching depth) is just too strong for the Sox to take another middle infielder. With that said, if they were picking in the 8-10 range, he absolutely would be a guy they would take.

I think the Sox pitching depth has rapidly become underrated...and I absolutely think they should target a pitcher here. The pitchers by everyone's account are just standing head and shoulders above the position players.

And there's no such thing as too much top flight pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
I think the Sox pitching depth has rapidly become underrated...and I absolutely think they should target a pitcher here. The pitchers by everyone's account are just standing head and shoulders above the position players.

And there's no such thing as too much top flight pitching.

Pitching depth has become underrated? Please elaborate because I'm not seeing this so called "depth".

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Pitching depth has become underrated? Please elaborate because I'm not seeing this so called "depth".

This isn't the first year that a few guys in the minor leagues have gotten off to weak starts for whatever reason. Rienzo did last year and wound up contributing in the bigs after 10+ dominating starts.

There are a couple guys who could be mid-rotation (Beck, Danish), a handful of guys who have a good shot at back end starters, and a number of "intriguing arm" types. But the system completely lacks depth in terms of #1 or #2 guys (not uncommon, but to have none is not great). Beck is a #3 IF it comes together, in my view. Danish is hard to predict, but I see him as a #4 most likely, assuming his delivery can handle starting. And those are the two guys with a likely major league floor (if healthy) that have the highest ceilings, IMO. There are guys like Ortiz or Montas that have some intrigue, but also high bust likelihood.

This is the right draft at the right time for the Sox. There is some pitching depth there, but most of it is back-end starters and relievers.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
I wonder if the Sox would look at someone like Dylan Cease or Derek Fisher that were projected in the mid-first round but lost a chunk of their seasons due to injury. If you save some money at #3, making a run at a guy like that makes a ton of sense.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y20...=mm_mlb_players

MLB Write up on Cease

Scouting Grades* (future): Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Cease is one of the hardest throwing high school pitchers in the 2014 Draft class, but he was dealt a significant setback this spring. He suffered an elbow injury that has kept him out for several weeks and could ultimately require him to undergo Tommy John surgery.

When healthy, Cease throws his fastball from 91-95 mph, topping out at 97 mph. He doesn't have a physical frame, instead generating his velocity with athleticism and arm speed. There is some effort to his delivery, and the rest of his game may remain inconsistent until he refines it.

His mid-70s curveball will range from a below-average to an above-average pitch, and his changeup shows flashes of becoming an effective offering, but he'll need to throw it more often. Cease, who plays with his twin brother at Milton High, is committed to Vanderbilt.

Fisher:

Scouting Grades* (future): Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 50 | Arm: 40 | Field: 40 | Overall: 60

One of the top high school hitting prospects in the 2011 Draft, Fisher lasted until the sixth round because of signability concerns and turned down a substantial offer from the Rangers to attend Virginia. He failed to hit .300 in his first two seasons with the Cavaliers but took a step forward in the Cape Cod League this summer, cutting down on his strikeouts and leading the best summer college circuit with a .453 on-base percentage. He has shown more pop at Virginia than he did with wood bats on the Cape, and he projects as a plus hitter in terms of both average and raw power.

Fisher's bat will have to carry him, because he's a slightly above-average runner who figures to lose a step, and he's a below-average defender. His lack of arm strength and defensive instincts limit him to left field.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
There are a couple guys who could be mid-rotation (Beck, Danish), a handful of guys who have a good shot at back end starters, and a number of "intriguing arm" types. But the system completely lacks depth in terms of #1 or #2 guys (not uncommon, but to have none is not great). Beck is a #3 IF it comes together, in my view. Danish is hard to predict, but I see him as a #4 most likely, assuming his delivery can handle starting. And those are the two guys with a likely major league floor (if healthy) that have the highest ceilings, IMO. There are guys like Ortiz or Montas that have some intrigue, but also high bust likelihood.

This is the right draft at the right time for the Sox. There is some pitching depth there, but most of it is back-end starters and relievers.

This is a realistic view of our pitching depth. I agree with everything you said other than your ceiling for Danish. Regardless, the system's strength has clearly moved towards the position player side. Just look at our top 15 prospects and few of them are pitchers. You should always draft BPA with your first 10 picks in the draft, but leaning towards pitching this year would go a long ways towards adding balance to the system.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
I hate to say it but we need another ace type potential pitcher in case sale gets hurt

You can't draft on the assumption that a player will be hurt at some point. Draft the best player available. Now, in this case, it would appear that an ace type of pitcher will be the BPA when the Sox are on the clock, but you can't draft a certain player because he would be a good replacement for someone if they get injured down the road.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y20...=mm_mlb_players

MLB Write up on Cease

Scouting Grades* (future): Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Cease is one of the hardest throwing high school pitchers in the 2014 Draft class, but he was dealt a significant setback this spring. He suffered an elbow injury that has kept him out for several weeks and could ultimately require him to undergo Tommy John surgery.

When healthy, Cease throws his fastball from 91-95 mph, topping out at 97 mph. He doesn't have a physical frame, instead generating his velocity with athleticism and arm speed. There is some effort to his delivery, and the rest of his game may remain inconsistent until he refines it.

His mid-70s curveball will range from a below-average to an above-average pitch, and his changeup shows flashes of becoming an effective offering, but he'll need to throw it more often. Cease, who plays with his twin brother at Milton High, is committed to Vanderbilt.

Fisher:

Scouting Grades* (future): Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 50 | Arm: 40 | Field: 40 | Overall: 60

One of the top high school hitting prospects in the 2011 Draft, Fisher lasted until the sixth round because of signability concerns and turned down a substantial offer from the Rangers to attend Virginia. He failed to hit .300 in his first two seasons with the Cavaliers but took a step forward in the Cape Cod League this summer, cutting down on his strikeouts and leading the best summer college circuit with a .453 on-base percentage. He has shown more pop at Virginia than he did with wood bats on the Cape, and he projects as a plus hitter in terms of both average and raw power.

Fisher's bat will have to carry him, because he's a slightly above-average runner who figures to lose a step, and he's a below-average defender. His lack of arm strength and defensive instincts limit him to left field.

Cease sounds like an incredibly talented player, but I don't like reading about high schoolers already needing Tommy John, I don't like seeing a non-physical frame with most of it generated via athleticism and arm speed, and I don't like seeing high-effort delivery. Some of those things can be altered to improve, but that's a ton of risk.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Cease sounds like an incredibly talented player, but I don't like reading about high schoolers already needing Tommy John, I don't like seeing a non-physical frame with most of it generated via athleticism and arm speed, and I don't like seeing high-effort delivery. Some of those things can be altered to improve, but that's a ton of risk.

Sounds like a whole lot of things that the Sox would pass on.

There is a ton of risk, I think it is similar to Giolito when he was drafted by the Nastys. He was a legit top 5 prospect that slid becuase of and elbow injury, and now he is their #1 prospect. Cease is a guy that has top 10-15 talent that you may slide because of his injury but if the risk pans out you are getting two top 15 pitchers out of this years draft, if not, second rounders don't work out that often anyway. I think the Sox are in a position to be creative with the draft pool that they have. I doubt they bite due to the risks, but if I were RH it is something that I would at least consider.

Actually when you say all of those things together, Tim Lincecum comes to mind as that guy. There were the same concerns about him coming out, and it appears that maybe those things have caught up with him, but he had a good ride in between.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
I don't mind taking him in the 2nd, just that he's a guy that concerns be because of the baggage and other risks involved.

There will likely be a few guys that slid sitting there when the Sox pick in the second, and probably without as much of the baggage that you mention. I thought Cease was interesting as some guys had him rated in the top 10. One of Touissaint, Gatewood, Chavis will likely still be there.

I think Gillaspie is more likely a 3rd round target due to his defensive limitations.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
There will likely be a few guys that slid sitting there when the Sox pick in the second, and probably without as much of the baggage that you mention. I thought Cease was interesting as some guys had him rated in the top 10. One of Touissaint, Gatewood, Chavis will likely still be there.

I think Gillaspie is more likely a 3rd round target due to his defensive limitations.

Agree about Gillaspie, as a 1B prospect has to be really, really good offensively to be considered that highly.

Real shame the Sox didn't pick up Giolito. Particularly considering their penchant lately for taking pitchers (and with success) whom other teams saw as too risky or flawed (Sale, Danish). I remember reading Robin saying there was no way he'd fall to the Sox at 13.