2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Based on that, the Sox would have some really intriguing options available at 44 with Davidson, Chavis, Ti'Quan Forbes, Gettys, and Weaver still available. Some of them wont make it there, but if you can grab one of those guys you are in great shape.

I would love for them to pull Braxton Davidson in the 2nd. Luke Weaver would be a great second choice as well.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Law's Top 100 Draft Prospect list is up. Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...h-law-big-board

That's the link for Keith Law's board but it is insider.

1. Brady Aiken HS LHP

2. Carlos Rodon LHP NC State

3. Tyler Kolek HS RHP

4. Nick Gordon HS SS

5. Bradley Zimmer OF San Francisco

6. Alex Jackson HS C/OF

7. Grant Holmes HS RHP

8. Erick Fedde RHP UNLV

9. Sean Newcomb LHP Hartford

10. Aaron Nola RHP LSU

Other notables:

13. Touissant

14. Beede

15. Gatewood

16. Davidson

19. Finnegan

22. Trea Turner

24. Freeland

25. Jeff Hoffman

72. Casey Gillaspie

70. Providence Catholic RHP Jake Godfrey

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 8, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Scott (Lincolnshire)

Any chance the big 3 arms don't get selected 3rd overall and slide to 4th for the cubs? I know that you just released a prospect ranking, which isn't necessarily a mock draft on what you think teams will do.

Klaw (1:03 PM)

Correct, that's just my "board" but not a projection. I think there's a decent chance Rodon reaches the Cubs, but not the two prep arms. Depends a lot on what the White Sox do if Aiken-Kolek go 1-2.

I think there is a chance that we don't want anything to do with Boras and go way underslot with our favorite of the remaining college arms. It would make me sick, but I bet it's being considered.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:02 PM)
I think there is a chance that we don't want anything to do with Boras and go way underslot with our favorite of the remaining college arms. It would make me sick, but I bet it's being considered.

Agreed. I have to imagine it's not only being considered, THAT decision (to avoid the Rodon-Boras tandem, and the complications it brings for (a) signing and (b) long-term control) might have already been made. I say *might* because IF the Sox have identified Rodon as an absolutely superior talent that they're lucky o get at #3 (instead of a strong talent, but one with Liriano like concerns), then I do think they'd go for Rodon despite the Boras factor. I've never once said they run scared of Boras. Instead, I suggest that the Sox are a cerebral organization and it would be foolish to at least not consider any Boras-factor in the overall decision making process.

All that said, the way things are shaping up (Rodon pitching particularly well; Hoffman going down with TJ), I can't imagine BOTH the Astros and Miami passing on Rodon (especially because of Rodon's Miami connection). I think Rodon and one of the prepsters are gone when the Sox are on the clock. Then, it's simply a matter of how much they really and truly like the remaining prep arm available. If they don't -- or if they're truly avoiding prep arms no matter what (and I can't really believe that) -- then an underslot college arm play might be the direction, or, taking the first offensive player (have to imagine that's Jackson).

Anyone have a Time Machine? The wait is getting tough

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
I just want to point out the insanity here, even though I like Badler. Move to Haiti for a year? Has be BEEN to Haiti? Because I have. That's a ridiculous idea.

If you could move to Haiti for a year and have decent odds at winning a powerball jackpot when you got back, would that change your mind? That is the kid of money that could be talked about if a potential #1 draft pick were a free agent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
I just want to point out the insanity here, even though I like Badler. Move to Haiti for a year? Has be BEEN to Haiti? Because I have. That's a ridiculous idea.

Haiti is an option, but so is the DR, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, or Curacao. He may have mentioned Haiti as it would likely be an easier process to gain citizenship there than most other countries as many Cuban players have done so in a relatively short amount of time without actually having to live there over any extended period of time. Never gonna happen, but it is an interesting proposal, unless MLB institutes an international draft, in which case you don't get the bidding war.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
If you could move to Haiti for a year and have decent odds at winning a powerball jackpot when you got back, would that change your mind? That is the kid of money that could be talked about if a potential #1 draft pick were a free agent.

The math isn't that simple. It is more like... take $2M now (low 1st round pick), or live in Haiti for a year (with little chance to keep up your competitive chops) to perhaps get $5M, but also possibly get the same or less, while having to do your rehab in a country that lacks the type of facilites you'd have here. And in both cases, to have basically the same shot at more money later as a major leaguer. I'm not sure I'd take that chance going to ANY country, but sure as heck not Haiti. To wit...

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Haiti is an option, but so is the DR, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, or Curacao. He may have mentioned Haiti as it would likely be an easier process to gain citizenship there than most other countries as many Cuban players have done so in a relatively short amount of time without actually having to live there over any extended period of time. Never gonna happen, but it is an interesting proposal, unless MLB institutes an international draft, in which case you don't get the bidding war.

Yeah, if he can do it in the Bahamas, he could get better care, and be less at risk to his person. That's different calculus.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
The math isn't that simple. It is more like... take $2M now (low 1st round pick), or live in Haiti for a year (with little chance to keep up your competitive chops) to perhaps get $5M, but also possibly get the same or less, while having to do your rehab in a country that lacks the type of facilites you'd have here. And in both cases, to have basically the same shot at more money later as a major leaguer. I'm not sure I'd take that chance going to ANY country, but sure as heck not Haiti. To wit...

Yeah, if he can do it in the Bahamas, he could get better care, and be less at risk to his person. That's different calculus.

I guess I am not sure if you actually have to live in Haiti to get citizenship there, they may be very lax in their citizenship laws and it may only require a singular trip to sign some documents and then he would be free to rehab wherever.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
I have a feeling we're going to end up with Jakson Reetz at #44

I'd be okay with this. The depth in this class is pretty great. There will be plenty of worthwhile options at 44.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)

I disagree there. He could make $5 million if he was just in the normal draft. IF he can prove he is healthy and IF he can prove he still has his stuff, his value goes WAY up if every single team has the ability to bid on him, without the restrictions that the draft places on players contracts. I'd bet the bidding would start at least at $20 million, and would go up from there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
Law has ol' Casey Gillaspie all the way down at #72

I have a feeling we're going to end up with Jakson Reetz at #44

Reetz is the kid I want, assuming there are no big slips to the 2nd RD, like Finnegan who I had targeted with that pick a few months ago before his stock rose up dramatically.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2014 -> 12:26 AM)
If Law really does have Gillaspie going that late, then that would be awesome if he slipped even further and we were able to do Aiken/Rodon, Reetz, and Gillaspie. I'd be rock hard for that.

That would be living the dream. Casey being an advanced college bat should be able to move quickly through the system with only Ravelo ahead of him and Reetz adds a great looking back stop in a system sorely lacking anything outside of second tier back up catchers.

QUOTE (beautox @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)
That would be living the dream. Casey being an advanced college bat should be able to move quickly through the system with only Ravelo ahead of him and Reetz adds a great looking back stop in a system sorely lacking anything outside of second tier back up catchers.

Kevan Smith still has an outside shot, but largely agree with you.

As an aside, it's interesting that Salty has performed much better than McCann (so far). One of our big off-debates.

Ruiz has been good, too. A lot of people were ridiculing the idea of him for catcher, but he has been solid again.

Edited by caulfield12

I still really like the idea of taking Chavis and sticking him at catcher to see if he can handle it.

From Law on 4/13

• Sprayberry High School shortstop Michael Chavis has had some first-round buzz after a very strong spring season at the plate, showing strong hit and power tools after a modest showing last summer. Chavis is maxed out physically, 5-foot-10 or 5-11 and already very strong, so there's less projection than there is on your typical high school prospect. He has a quiet approach with strong hands and wrists, so the contact he makes tends to be hard, with plenty of loft in his finish. He showed better running speed than I expected, above average to plus down the line, although I think he'll settle in as a 55-rated runner in a year or two.

He has the arm to play anywhere on the field, but his footwork isn't right for shortstop; he could move to third, or even right field, but he has a catcher's build and the intensity for that position, assuming he has the interest. I know a few teams have discussed having him catch at their pre-draft workouts; his bat might be too advanced to take that risk, but you've got a potential superstar if he takes to the position quickly.