2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
They did a draft prospect special last night on MLB, and Weaver seems to be quite the character. Funny dude.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Trea Turner being on the top 50 list. Anyone know if his stock has fallen that much?

Nah. Turner will probably go in the top 15 picks or so.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
Presuming Aiken and Rodon are off the board, who would people prefer: Kolek at slot, Nola a bit under slot, or someone else? I'd be leaning towards Nola.

Kolek at slot. Then college pitcher with 2nd round pick.

I wish we could have traded a RP for the #39. Even aside from the pick itself, that bonus added to the pool would have been terrific. I can't believe the Marlins shopped around much & I can't imagine they called the Sox at all. Stupid Marlins.

Anyone else looking to deal off competitive balance picks before the draft? Please call us. Please.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
I wish we could have traded a RP for the #39. Even aside from the pick itself, that bonus added to the pool would have been terrific. I can't believe the Marlins shopped around much & I can't imagine they called the Sox at all. Stupid Marlins.

Anyone else looking to deal off competitive balance picks before the draft? Please call us. Please.

Cubs are looking for one as part of the Samardzja package

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Cubs have "inquired about receiving a competitive-balance draft pick and the accompanying bonus-pool money" as part of a return package for right-hander Jeff Samardzija.

This would require that a trade get done by Thursday's first round. Passan suspects that the Rockies, who have a competitive-balance pick at 35th overall, could be the team that the Cubs are talking to. Samardzija was shelled for eight earned runs in three innings Sunday by the Brewers but still owns a shiny 2.54 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 67/23 K/BB ratio in 78 total frames this year. He can become a free agent after the 2015 season.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Presuming Aiken and Rodon are off the board, who would people prefer: Kolek at slot, Nola a bit under slot, or someone else? I'd be leaning towards Nola.

I'd prefer Kolek. That Thorburn article on BP the other day really sold me on his mechanics, which makes me feel better about his future.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)

I would be stunned if RH wasn't all over the rest of the teams that have competitive balance picks trying to get one. He knows how important this draft (and that cash pool) are to the long term health of the organization.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
If the Sox land one of the CB picks wouldn't he almost have to draft under slot at #3? That might mean Nola, who I would be ok with.

I thought that if you picked up a Comp Bal pick that you got the slot money for that pick added to your pool. So the Sox would still have the $9.5M that they already have but then they would get another $1.5M to correspond to that pick.

Competitive Balance Round A

Rockies

Orioles

Indians

Marlins

Royals

Brewers

Competitive Balance Round B

Padres

Diamondbacks

Cardinals

Rays

Pirates

Mariners

Any of these teams want Gordon or a reliever? Rienzo+? Maybe we could eat all of DeAza or Dunn's contract and send a prospect/second piece.

Putnam, Petricka, Belisario would be nice gets for any team in need of RP ATM.

I can't believe the Pirates got such a great deal. On June X next season, if the Marlins offer that same player back to the Pirates striaght-up for the player they draft at 39 the Marlins probably get laughed off the phone. Dumb.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
I thought that if you picked up a Comp Bal pick that you got the slot money for that pick added to your pool. So the Sox would still have the $9.5M that they already have but then they would get another $1.5M to correspond to that pick.

Yeah, if they add the extra $$$ in the pool then Hahn could do whatever he wanted. Also could be Rodon insurance should he be the pick. Anything is possible.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)

Actually, I believe you are correct. Now this seems like it would be an even better move.

Marlins have another comp balance pick, and are rumored to be looking to add.

The Rox and Brewers are competing and may be looking to add. So there are possibilities.

Seems like trading from our middle infield depth for a Competitive Balance pick makes the most sense, I wonder if L. Garcia or Saladino could net a Comp. Balance B pick from a team looking for a pro-ready utility guy. Saladino seems like a good fit with the Rays and Cards style of play, nothing flashy but solid all-around baseball skills.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Competitive Balance Round A

Rockies

Orioles

Indians

Marlins

Royals

Brewers

Competitive Balance Round B

Padres

Diamondbacks

Cardinals

Rays

Pirates

Mariners

Any of these teams want Gordon or a reliever? Rienzo+? Maybe we could eat all of DeAza or Dunn's contract and send a prospect/second piece.

Putnam, Petricka, Belisario would be nice gets for any team in need of RP ATM.

I can't believe the Pirates got such a great deal. On June X next season, if the Marlins offer that same player back to the Pirates striaght-up for the player they draft at 39 the Marlins probably get laughed off the phone. Dumb.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. This is a good draft to have an extra pick, not sure what teams would be willing to part with a pick for what the Sox have available. I'm sure Hahn has it in mind should a team call about a trade between now and Thursday.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Seems like trading from our middle infield depth for a Competitive Balance pick makes the most sense, I wonder if L. Garcia or Saladino could net a Comp. Balance B pick from a team looking for a pro-ready utility guy. Saladino seems like a good fit with the Rays and Cards style of play, nothing flashy but solid all-around baseball skills.

Neither of those guys will get you a comp pick, not a chance. You need to talk more Sanchez to even be in that discussion, and I'm not sure even that would get it done.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)

I doubt a player we are talking about cutting from our terrible AAA team will net a top 50 pick.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Neither of those guys will get you a comp pick, not a chance. You need to talk more Sanchez to even be in that discussion, and I'm not sure even that would get it done.

If that's the case then I'm legitimately surprised considering what Bryan Morris was able to get in return, he's been pretty mediocre and has extremely limited upside even as a middle reliever. With Garcia and Saladino they're still young enough that there is still some projectability in them and the floor being an adequate utility player which in my mind is the equivalent to a middle reliever.

Trading Sanchez actually might be worth the competitive balance pick, I really like him and have been a fan of his even before his breakout season a couple of years ago but we desperately need to trade someone to clear up our middle infield situation and that might be the best return available.

O's look like they could use Gordon and some help in the pen. Dunn could also fit there since Delmon Young is listed as their DH.

Edit: MLBTR's order is f***ed up. O's don't even have one. MLB's order of comp picks:

35. Colorado Rockies

36. Miami Marlins (M. Krook - unsigned)

37. Houston Astros (from the Orioles)

38. Cleveland Indians

39. Pittsburgh Pirates (from the Marlins)

40. Kansas City Royals

41. Milwaukee Brewers

69. Arizona Diamondbacks (from the Padres)

70. Arizona Diamondbacks

71. St. Louis Cardinals

72. Tampa Bay Rays

73. Pittsburgh Pirates

74. Seattle Mariners

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Has there been discussion to cut Saladino? I thought they've been moving him around to develop him as a utility player.

No way they cut Saladino. He is probably going to be that super utility player. They'll cut Michael Johnson.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Here's a writeup from BA about the ideal body type for a pitcher and mentions Kolek.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/whats...thander-anyway/

Just based on body type alone, it would be pretty funny to have Sale and Kolek as our 1-2 punch in our rotation. I am rooting for us to draft Kolek just for the photo ops with those two.