2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
It will also be fascinating to watch the Cubs and Twins at 4 and 5. Because of the city and our division, we will get to see their picks a lot but let's hope we leave them in the dust. Remember the Cubs drafting Ty Griffin and Mike Harkey (I think) right ahead of the Sox. Can't wait for Thursday, great conversation everyone. Takes the mind off of the Blackhawks as well.

Cubs don't want anything to do with Kolek, apparently. Another, albeit far down, reason to take Aiken/Rodon.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:45 PM)
Cubs don't want anything to do with Kolek, apparently. Another, albeit far down, reason to take Aiken/Rodon.

Interesting about Kolek and the Cubs. Kolek should be praying all day and night that he is not drafted by the Cubs, he would be called Kerry Wood II and would be cursed for the rest of his career.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
No Rodon even if he's available? Because of signability issues, delivery issues, both, neither?

If they took Nola over Rodon, I would have no choice but to actually flip a table.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
Some of both. I want no part of Rodon.

Gotcha. It's tough to keep straight who doesn't want which players for what reason. Hahahaha. Rodon scares me more from a cost standpoint than a delivery standpoint, but then again, I don't know much about the mechanics of pitching at all.

Not trying to second guess people's reasoning, but where were all the concerns about his delivery last year and even into the beginning of this season? I kept reading how he was supposed to be this slam dunk, can't miss prospect and now (seemingly all of the sudden) there are a lot of concerns with his delivery and mechanics. Just wondering what (if anything) changed.

If they took Nola over Rodon, I would have no choice but to actually flip a table.

If they took Rodon, and then failed to sign him for slot, I would have no choice but to flip over a table and four chairs.

After reading everything, I'm kind of warming up to Nola. He may not have quite the upside of the other 3, but he still has a high end upside and appears to be not only the most likely to reach it, but the most likely to reach it first. Also, if drafting Nola allows us to go overslot with our 2nd and/or 3rd pick then that's worthy of consideration. We aren't overloaded with prospects. If we can get better prospects with our 2/3 picks because we drafted Nola at 1, then with our situation that might be worth it.

That being said, and I'm not a big baseball draft guy, but from what I've seen and heard I'd still prefer Rodon. But Nola might be my #2. HS pitchers this early are very risky,

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
If they took Rodon, and then failed to sign him for slot, I would have no choice but to flip over a table and four chairs.

Lol me too.

But I think they'd sign him. He's seen his stock plummet over the course of a year, he won't risk it to be put in a position with even less leverage next year.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
After reading everything, I'm kind of warming up to Nola. He may not have quite the upside of the other 3, but he still has a high end upside and appears to be not only the most likely to reach it, but the most likely to reach it first. Also, if drafting Nola allows us to go overslot with our 2nd and/or 3rd pick then that's worthy of consideration. We aren't overloaded with prospects. If we can get better prospects with our 2/3 picks because we drafted Nola at 1, then with our situation that might be worth it.

That being said, and I'm not a big baseball draft guy, but from what I've seen and heard I'd still prefer Rodon. But Nola might be my #2. HS pitchers this early are very risky,

Keith Law said last night that Nola could be in the majors this year and in a rotation next year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Keith Law said last night that Nola could be in the majors this year and in a rotation next year.

I don't know for sure, but I feel like that may be a bit overstated. Sale was on about the fastest fast track I can remember and it took him a partial bullpen stint and then a full year in the pen before he hit the rotation.

Not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised if they moved that quickly with anybody.

As I've said previously I really like Nola. Safe is tossed around a lot with negative connotation around here, but the safe draft prospect at 3 is much different than taking the safe player at 15 to 20. Nola still has upside.

I'm still unsure who I'd want between an underslot Nola and a slot or higher Rodon. Though I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I don't know for sure, but I feel like that may be a bit overstated. Sale was on about the fastest fast track I can remember and it took him a partial bullpen stint and then a full year in the pen before he hit the rotation.

Not saying it can't happen, but I would be surprised if they moved that quickly with anybody.

That full year in the bullpen was an utter mistake.

I'd LOVE Nola at say, pick 5 or 6. I can honestly even see an argument for taking him over Kolek or Aiken purely because you fear the uncertainty of HS pitchers.

But Nola over Rodon? They're both 1-2 years from having a shot to stick in the majors and Rodon has a way higher ceiling. I bet literally every team would take Rodon over Nola.

EDIT: Now that I've said that, I fully realized I've sealed Nola's fate as this year's 1-1 at about $5m underslot.

Edited by Eminor3rd