Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
Let's hope 1 week isn't too ambitious or we'll be selling one of our best trade chips for pennies on the dollar.

His time frame is making me a little nervous. Fingers crossed that he can come back, have a few dominant outings and bring back a solid return. I'm also wondering if Reed is being shopped as well despite not hearing much about it.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
His time frame is making me a little nervous. Fingers crossed that he can come back, have a few dominant outings and bring back a solid return. I'm also wondering if Reed is being shopped as well despite not hearing much about it.

I'd love to be taking calls from other teams as a Hahn assitant. "I'm under orders from Rick to say put an offer on the table and he will prioritize it based on if he thinks it's workable. We're getting a lot of calls now from other teams about (insert players name). "

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
I'd love to be taking calls from other teams as a Hahn assitant. "I'm under orders from Rick to say put an offer on the table and he will prioritize it based on if he thinks it's workable. We're getting a lot of calls now from other teams about (insert players name). "

That would be perfect

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Middlebrooks has been hurt this year. Going into 2012, he was the Red Sox #1 Prospect and #56 overall. If the Red Sox made him available this deadline I'd take a flyer on him returning to form.

Well that's fine and dandy, but his K/BB in the minors is 3.4 and the year that apparently made him a legitimate prospect, it was 4.4.

Middlebrooks seems as though he's going to be a BA dependent player, and when a guy who strikes out as often as Trayce Thompson is dependent upon BA, it's not a good thing.

No, I'd stay as far as from Will Middlebrooks as I could.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Well that's fine and dandy, but his K/BB in the minors is 3.4 and the year that apparently made him a legitimate prospect, it was 4.4.

Middlebrooks seems as though he's going to be a BA dependent player, and when a guy who strikes out as often as Trayce Thompson is dependent upon BA, it's not a good thing.

No, I'd stay as far as from Will Middlebrooks as I could.

I agree, the sox shouldn't use up key trade pieces for Middlebrooks, if higher prospects were/ are available. I should have said this offseason take a chance, as he Red sox impatience with players makes them expendable. But if the sox don't improve at 3b and fix other positions this deadline, they will need to find value players in the offseason at spots they didn't upgrade at. That means finding young guys who can rebound from poor 2013 seasons via trade or finding hidden gems in free agency. Middlebrooks may not be a guy to build around. But he's likely to be a guy on the outs with the Red Sox, and can be had for less than his true worth.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
I agree, the sox shouldn't use up key trade pieces for Middlebrooks, if higher prospects were/ are available. I should have said this offseason take a chance, as he Red sox impatience with players makes them expendable. But if the sox don't improve at 3b and fix other positions this deadline, they will need to find value players in the offseason at spots they didn't upgrade at. That means finding young guys who can rebound from poor 2013 seasons via trade or finding hidden gems in free agency. Middlebrooks may not be a guy to build around. But he's likely to be a guy on the outs with the Red Sox, and can be had for less than his true worth.

One legit question with Middlebrooks is...is his upside significantly greater than Gillaspie? I don't know their histories that well but a moment at the B-R page didn't convince me he obviously was better than Connor. Their minor league careers show similar overall OPS numbers, Gillaspie with higher batting average and more walks, less home runs but many fewer strikeouts. About the only thing that obviously stands out is that he seems to have been a year younger than Conor at every level, which I'll grant does say something, but I'm not very much convinced. Can someone tell me where I should be looking to be convinced that Middlebrooks is head and shoulders above Conor?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 02:43 AM)
Here's another guy we should ship now. Get a fair offer and boom, deal him. He's been utterly fantastic, but is it two straight bad outings? Deal him before his arm gets tired or something. Thank you in advance, Mr. Hahn.

He may go for sure. I hope not, but using your reasoning we better sell low-low. :D ;)

Not sure what is a fair value for any player we are looking to trade , but I would hope it's top level prospects and not maybes

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
He may go for sure. I hope not, but using your reasoning we better sell low-low. :D ;)

Not sure what is a fair value for any player we are looking to trade , but I would hope it's top level prospects and not maybes

Things that should be understood..."Top level prospects" = "Maybes".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
One legit question with Middlebrooks is...is his upside significantly greater than Gillaspie? I don't know their histories that well but a moment at the B-R page didn't convince me he obviously was better than Connor. Their minor league careers show similar overall OPS numbers, Gillaspie with higher batting average and more walks, less home runs but many fewer strikeouts. About the only thing that obviously stands out is that he seems to have been a year younger than Conor at every level, which I'll grant does say something, but I'm not very much convinced. Can someone tell me where I should be looking to be convinced that Middlebrooks is head and shoulders above Conor?

Conor has finally had his chance at playing everyday in the bigs and hasn't had the success Middlebrooks had last year.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Conor has finally had his chance at playing everyday in the bigs and hasn't had the success Middlebrooks had last year.

But he's also significantly outperformed Middlebrooks this year. If all you can give me is 286 PA's last year, I'm extremely skeptical about saying Middlebrooks is vastly better than Gillaspie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
But he's also significantly outperformed Middlebrooks this year. If all you can give me is 286 PA's last year, I'm extremely skeptical about saying Middlebrooks is vastly better than Gillaspie.

I really do agree. Middlebrooks has better power, but to me, it's a coin flip between the two of them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
I really do agree. Middlebrooks has better power, but to me, it's a coin flip between the two of them.

At the very least, it's closer right now than I'd like for it to be for Middlebrooks to be the main return on Crain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
At the very least, it's closer right now than I'd like for it to be for Middlebrooks to be the main return on Crain.

I'd like a better 3b prospect than either Middlebrooks or Gillaspie this deadline. Yet there are always guys each offseason who could be had that rebound. Middlebrooks isn't as bad as this years numbers.

With Peavy, and a healthy Crain, the sox shouldn't accept rebound candidates. They should get guys having good years.

With the injury issues and really no benefit of keeping Crain for the rest of the season, if the best the Sox can do is Middlebrooks, I'm okay with that. Not nearly what we hoped for a month ago, but coming off an injury close to the deadline and having no reason to keep him for 2 months unless the Sox wanted the extra time to negotiate a contract with him in the offseason, getting something for him is better than nothing. Middlebrooks still has the potential to at least be a good defensive platoon player at 3B who can knock out a couple homers. Maybe not an impact bat, but could be useful, even if it is just a platoon player with Gillaspie.

However, I still hold out hope Crain nets a better return than that.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
I'd like a better 3b prospect than either Middlebrooks or Gillaspie this deadline. Yet there are always guys each offseason who could be had that rebound. Middlebrooks isn't as bad as this years numbers.

With Peavy, and a healthy Crain, the sox shouldn't accept rebound candidates. They should get guys having good years.

Not many guys are .190 hitters but I also don't think he was as good as his fast start indicated last year and he's been poor against RHP.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a platoon guy at 3B.

Middlebrooks unquestionably has a higher ceiling because his approach is so awful that he could make huge strides by improving it. He's got legitimate pop -- but his best case with his current hackitude is "streaky" with some deep, prolonged slumps.

Connor doesn't have the pop to touch that ceiling, but he's got a legit hit tool and a clue at the plate. He won't ever amount to a star, but he's much more likely to be a big league regular now that he's shown improvement on defense.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
670 the Score just reported that if Crain can prove he is healthy that there is basically a done deal with the Braves for Crain. Per Phil Rogers

I saw it as a credible story until you added the last 3 words.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
670 the Score just reported that if Crain can prove he is healthy that there is basically a done deal with the Braves for Crain. Per Phil Rogers

Lol...I thought that's what Grody said in his update, but I missed the actual interview and didn't want to post that.

Anyone familiar with the Braves system?