Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
That's why he won't be dealt. When he's claimed on waivers, you can make a deal with that team, let him go, or pull him back, and the odds are good the claiming team will not make a deal for him. He'll have to clear waivers, something he won't do.

Makes sense. Awesome.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why he won't be dealt. When he's claimed on waivers, you can make a deal with that team, let him go, or pull him back, and the odds are good the claiming team will not make a deal for him. He'll have to clear waivers, something he won't do.

Most likely the claiming team will either just agree to pay his full remaining salary on a straight waiver claim, or ask the Sox to eat 90% of his remaining salary in return for a minor leaguer that will have very little chance of every making it past AA.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
There was discussion about trading for PTBNL with the player changing depending on how often he pitches. This is our best bet now

That number needs to be reasonable, like 10 games. If it's 20 games or something ridiculous, the team can just hold him out of some games to prevent from giving up a ton.

Maybe a tiered PTBNL, with 10 and 20 game thresholds

Actually, this really isn't all that bad assuming he doesn't have anything that will keep him out the rest of the season. NL teams know he will not be available to them after the deadline because he won't clear so they may give up something useful. And the teams that are on top in the AL may as well knowing that someone below them could claim him, he could be totally healthy and the White Sox would have zero reason not to just let him go as a salary dump for nothing at that point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Actually, this really isn't all that bad assuming he doesn't have anything that will keep him out the rest of the season. NL teams know he will not be available to them after the deadline because he won't clear so they may give up something useful. And the teams that are on top in the AL may as well knowing that someone below them could claim him, he could be totally healthy and the White Sox would have zero reason not to just let him go as a salary dump for nothing at that point.

I see your point. What teams in the NL though? Braves? Dodgers? Dbacks?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
I see your point. What teams in the NL though? Braves? Dodgers? Dbacks?

Rogers did say if he was healthy the Braves was a done deal. Maybe they do it anyway. If they think it's reasonable he will be healthy a week after the deadline, I would assume his price tag shouldn't drop too much. You can think of it as he had another week of rest. I don't think he was going to bring back much more than a lottery ticket anyway. I think he still might, before the deadline.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Crain's good enough that I would still do a deal while he's on the DL.

If I were a team like the Tigers, I might well look at this as my way to get a near-elite reliever for 2 months at a discount. And if I were a team at the top of my division needing relief help, I'd definitely do the gamble on this since he won't make it to my team on waivers.

It probably ought to cost the Sox some on talent, but I'd gamble on him if I were a GM and his medical reports weren't too risky.

I'm sure a deal can be done with him on the DL, with a few PTBNL's depending on his innings/ appearances. Not ideal by any means. But a team in need of an arm can at least take a calculated chance that Jesse will return.

I could see Reed now being very popular...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
How do you lose one of your most valuable trading chips like this? Maddening. Typical of this organization.

How is this the organizations fault? Crain has been on the DL already once this year and was on it a couple times last year I believe.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
How is this the organizations fault? Crain has been on the DL already once this year and was on it a couple times last year I believe.

The organization was clearly negligent in their refusal to hire Jesus as their team doctor.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Hilarious. It's official that the Sox get nothing back for Crain. A GM can't give up much for an injury-prone older pitcher on the DL. Only the Sox acquire pitchers who are actually on the DL.

And that's worked out poorly?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
They're speculating that if we put Crain on waivers while he is still hurt, he may clear waivers

If I had an opne 40 man slot, I'd jump on him in a second. $1 million is all I have to gamble on that pitcher? Sign me up.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Marty needs to be suspended immediately for that comment. Unless he was being facetious, then I apologize. That's straight up trolling people.

What are you talking about? It absolutely is a failure of this organization that Crain is DL'ed. The workload they put on him for no reason was what caused this.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
What are you talking about? It absolutely is a failure of this organization that Crain is DL'ed. The workload they put on him for no reason was what caused this.

It's a ridiculous premise. It's more likely that Jesse Crain is injured because Jesse Crain is injury prone. It's not a sitaution that's all that unfamiliar to him.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)

I assume you have the medical reports to justify this?