Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

The surprising Pirates are said to be among the teams seeking to acquire White Sox outfielder Alex Rios, and people familiar with Pittsburgh's thinking suggest they wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates expand the talks to include Sox shortstop Alexei Ramriez, as well.

Link.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Would they trade Alvarez for Rios, Alexei and Crain? Throw in Mitchell if we have to? Young power hitting third baseman?

I hope you're kidding....

The purpose of trading Rios and Alexei is to get prospects back and build up the system.

The Pirates hitting prospects are a bit further away then I'd like (I want bats for next year) but I can't say I wouldn't love to have some of them.

Sox love them some Hoosiers, Alex Dickerson would be a nice get. He and Hanson, Bell, or Polanco would be some really solid pieces for the future.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
Rios and Alexei for Polanco, Hanson, Kingham and Herrera? Does that seem like a steep price?

I'm salivating at the possibility of Rios, Ramirez and possibly throwing Lindstrom and some $ bringing back premium talent. I would love to see Polanco, Hanson, Glasnow or Kingham and Jhang coming back.

Polanco could get a call up mid next season (after super two passes) and Hanson, Glasnow or Kingham supplement us going forward as well as adding legitiment talent in Jhang behind the dish, while the sox figure out what they have in Phegley/Flowers.

Looking at some of the names in the Pirates system, RHRP Victor Black seems like someone who might be a guy the Sox look at as part of a package. Had some arm problems as a starter but has remained healthy since being moved to the bullpen, and also struggles with control at times, but has a power arm and is close to MLB ready. Since a lot of the guys in this bullpen seem to be on their way out, it might not be a bad idea to bring in some young, cost controlled replacements.

Andrew Oliver also seems like someone the Sox could possibly want as a throw in. He seems like a classic Coop project who has good stuff but struggles with control.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Would they trade Alvarez for Rios, Alexei and Crain? Throw in Mitchell if we have to? Young power hitting third baseman?

Haha so you hate the way Adam Dunn plays baseball but you want Pedro Alvarez? You would hate the amount that he K's Greg.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
Haha so you hate the way Adam Dunn plays baseball but you want Pedro Alvarez? You would hate the amount that he K's Greg.

Lol I was just about to say the same thing.

They're virtually the same player.

Alvarez has 109 ks in 304 abs while Adam has 108 in 310.

Pedro has 10 hits and 3 rbi on Dunn but Adam walked 19 more times.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 12:14 AM)
Looking at some of the names in the Pirates system, RHRP Victor Black seems like someone who might be a guy the Sox look at as part of a package. Had some arm problems as a starter but has remained healthy since being moved to the bullpen, and also struggles with control at times, but has a power arm and is close to MLB ready. Since a lot of the guys in this bullpen seem to be on their way out, it might not be a bad idea to bring in some young, cost controlled replacements.

Andrew Oliver also seems like someone the Sox could possibly want as a throw in. He seems like a classic Coop project who has good stuff but struggles with control.

These are basically C+ prospects. I think we could probably get 1 B in addition or in lieu of one, but that's about it. But we'll see. Low ceiling pitchers (i.e. bullpen pitchers) aren't my cup of tee in trades - we can develop those or get them in the offseason.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 12:14 AM)

Not a fan of Victor Black at all. Mechanics and delivery are really poor. Mechanics have caused a lot of his arm problems in the past. I do agree this seems like a player the Sox could be interested in because he's in Triple A.

I believe Sox might get 1 top prospect between Polanco or Hanson plus a C prospect if they want both Rios/Ramirez. This will all depend on how much money will go back to Pittsburgh. If Hahn/Reinsdorf are willing to throw more money back to them might be able to get another really good prospect such as a Glasnow which I would be extremely happy about.

Sox aren't going to get Polanco. I would go absolutely crazy if they did, but it won't happen. I think if this happens, we will be looking at Hanson, Kingham or Glasnow, and a low level prospect. We would have to be paying a fair amount of contract for that situation though.