KW still GM?

Soxfest

Rios is owed about $20 million through 2014. Sox executive vice president Ken Williams has become more involved in potential acquisitions and has scouted the minor leagues, according to a source.

I have said this earlier Hahn is not being given full reigns and KW would make final decisions. KW pulling rank is wrong let Hahn do his job.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:30 AM)
Rios is owed about $20 million through 2014. Sox executive vice president Ken Williams has become more involved in potential acquisitions and has scouted the minor leagues, according to a source.

I have said this earlier Hahn is not being given full reigns and KW would make final decisions. KW pulling rank is wrong let Hahn do his job.

If that is what is happening, and I take from the statement the same thing you do, I agree. Besides, trading veterans for prospects was never a KW strength.

Edited by Dick Allen

So did you give the lobsters back?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 04:43 AM)
If that is what is happening, and I take from the statement the same thing you do, I agree. Besides, trading veterans for prospects was never a KW strength.

He was however a good dumpster diver. Danks, Floyd, Quintana, Quentin,Thornton among the pick ups KW got for scraps.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
He was however a good dumpster diver. Danks, Floyd, Quintana, Quentin,Thornton among the pick ups KW got for scraps.

Danks for McCarthy who was a good prospect and Floyd was traded for Freddy Garcia after a decent year, plus both were top prospects with their clubs at the time. Quentin, Quintana and Thornton though, yes, good dumpster dives.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Danks for McCarthy who was a good prospect and Floyd was traded for Freddy Garcia after a decent year, plus both were top prospects with their clubs at the time. Quentin, Quintana and Thornton though, yes, good dumpster dives.

Floyd was the definition of dumpster-diving. He was literally a throw-in in that deal, the Phillies were probably on the verge of dumping him, he'd failed a couple times for them already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
Floyd was the definition of dumpster-diving. He was literally a throw-in in that deal, the Phillies were probably on the verge of dumping him, he'd failed a couple times for them already.

WE traded Garcia to get Gio back; but then Williams gave him to Oakland when he paid double any reasonable price for a decent hitter in Swisher.

Hopefully they are letting Hahn negotiate these trades.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
WE traded Garcia to get Gio back; but then Williams gave him to Oakland when he paid double any reasonable price for a decent hitter in Swisher.

Eh, that was a pretty fair price for Swisher. One near-MLB ready starter for a young power-hitter under team control for a long time, with a couple low-level pitchers.

The problem wasn't that we paid beyond any reasonable price, the problem wound up being that Swisher was awful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Eh, that was a pretty fair price for Swisher. One near-MLB ready starter for a young power-hitter under team control for a long time, with a couple low-level pitchers.

The problem wasn't that we paid beyond any reasonable price, the problem wound up being that Swisher and/or Ozzie was awful.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
Does that mean he has no clue, or expects major change?

This guy would be in position to know. I took it as they have a lot of plates spinning and it's to early to even say how many players are going to be moved.

Yes, more involved in look at the players the Sox acquire. This is not news, so you can take your tin foil hat off.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)

Yes, Williams said "We don't feel we're including enough in this trade, we need to give you Gonzalez too."

Orrrrrrrrrrr Gio Gonzalez was the main piece in the deal and Beane wanted him to send Ryan Sweeney and Fautino De Los Santos too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
Yes, more involved in look at the players the Sox acquire. This is not news, so you can take your tin foil hat off.

Yes, Williams said "We don't feel we're including enough in this trade, we need to give you Gonzalez too."

Orrrrrrrrrrr Gio Gonzalez was the main piece in the deal and Beane wanted him to send Ryan Sweeney and Fautino De Los Santos too.

And also realize that the President of baseball Ops being involved in deals is normal. Look no further than the northside, and Theo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)

That's nice. But that's pretty much what likely happened. Williams wanted Swisher, and Beane kept asking for more, and Williams gave in. I can't think of another example of a team giving up 3 of its top 5 prospects for a decent but non-all star hitter like Swisher. We did a similar thing when trading for Edwin Jackson.......Hopefully we can score a similar deal for Peavy.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
That's nice. But that's pretty much what likely happened. Williams wanted Swisher, and Beane kept asking for more, and Williams gave in. I can't think of another example of a team giving up 3 of its top 5 prospects for a decent but non-all star hitter like Swisher. We did a similar thing when trading for Edwin Jackson.......Hopefully we can score a similar deal for Peavy.

"3 of its top 5 prospects" really is a silly way to describe the trade for Peavy because 1 of those prospects was actually a close to MLB-ready guy, but the others were "guys buried deep in the minors who were only our top prospects because there wasn't much in the system".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
"3 of its top 5 prospects" really is a silly way to describe the trade for Peavy because 1 of those prospects was actually a close to MLB-ready guy, but the others were "guys buried deep in the minors who were only our top prospects because there wasn't much in the system".

Swisher - 2 were ML ready and one was our top pitching prospect in the low minors. And a lot of these prospects in the various top 50 lists, including many "untouchables" are still in A ball, so they have high value.

Williams was an aggressive GM....he gave a top 5 prospect in all of baseball plus a starting catcher for a good-not-great Freddie Garcia. He way overpaid, but it worked...the prospect was a bust and Garcia had a fine year in 2005. He then turned him into Gio and Floyd. He did all sorts of things -his top draft choice the year before was traded for a rent of either Everett or Alomar - forget which. But there's not a GM in baseball except perhaps Bryan Sabean who had the guts to do those deals that Williams made. Everyone's afraid of trading the next Bagwell.

But toward the end, his aggression started failing.

So anyway, as we're dumping veterans, perhaps there's a new Kenny W out there to trade with us.

Heck, the way prospects are valued, the real "value" very well may be in the veterans.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Swisher - 2 were ML ready and one was our top pitching prospect in the low minors. And a lot of these prospects in the various top 50 lists, including many "untouchables" are still in A ball, so they have high value.

Williams was an aggressive GM....he gave a top 5 prospect in all of baseball plus a starting catcher for a good-not-great Freddie Garcia. He way overpaid, but it worked...the prospect was a bust and Garcia had a fine year in 2005. He then turned him into Gio and Floyd. He did all sorts of things -his top draft choice the year before was traded for a rent of either Everett or Alomar - forget which. But there's not a GM in baseball except perhaps Bryan Sabean who had the guts to do those deals that Williams made. Everyone's afraid of trading the next Bagwell.

But toward the end, his aggression started failing.

So anyway, as we're dumping veterans, perhaps there's a new Kenny W out there to trade with us.

Heck, the way prospects are valued, the real "value" very well may be in the veterans.

Reed was never a top 5 prospect in all of baseball. He was as high as 25. The most optimistic comparison I ever saw was to Tony Gwynn, but the more common comparison was Mark Kotsay. He never got close to that. If you are talking about Royce Ring, he was traded for Alomar. He did the most of any of those players traded for Alomar, and he did nothing, so maybe we should applaud Williams for realizing a bad draft choice and capitalizing on value while said player still had it.

There were very few trades I had any particular problems with that Williams made towards the end. I didn't like any of the Swisher trades, but the returns themselves are indirectly why. Instead, I don't and never have liked the idea of buying high on a player and selling low, thus the trade I disliked more - far, far more - was the 2nd Swisher trade. I liked the Vazquez trade, even if the return has become mediocre. The 2nd Jackson trade produced good value overall.

Oh, and the last statement you've made is the irony in all of this, because that's exactly how Williams felt and GM'ed.