Trade Deadline 2013

hi8is

Trade Deadline 2013  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick folks...

• Trades, trades, trades, and more trades.
    • One major move and 1-2 smaller deals
    • One major move
    • We're buyers all of a sudden... b!tches
    • Trades? Hanh keeps everyone and laughs evil style
    • Trades!!! For me to poop on!!!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Tear down. At least 7 guys gone.

How often does something like that actually happen...I mean as long as the team isn't the Miami Marlins?

Realistically, I see three more players traded. Peavy, Rios, and Crain. I wouldn't be totally surprised, however, if Peavy and/or Rios stay.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
I think we'll do decent with Rios, at least a top 100 prospect. Lindstrom is a 33 year old reliever with two months on his contract. Obviously he's not going to bring a notable prospect back but the idea is for our scouts to pick the right lottery ticket. No need to trade Dunn. Crain another reliever with two months on his contract but he's also an all star with a sub 1 ERA in the AL (and our park), some team will give us something nice (maybe a top 10-20 prospect or two).

You're absolutely sure of what everyone will bring back except Peavy. Probably because you're pissed he can bring back a nice haul.

No, regarding Peavy. I don't know if teams want to mess with having him on the team at all since he gets hurt so much and makes a lot of money. It might be easier to just pass on Peavy rather than have him get hurt and have to deal with all that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
No, regarding Peavy. I don't know if teams want to mess with having him on the team at all since he gets hurt so much and makes a lot of money. It might be easier to just pass on Peavy rather than have him get hurt and have to deal with all that.

Peavy's contract is very affordable. When he's healthy (and it seems like he is right now), he's a very good pitcher. He has gotten hurt a couple times, but each time he has bounced back and pitched very well.

I'm not saying he's going to be traded for sure, but you can bet Hahn is fielding a ton of calls for him. Because he's affordable and under control for one more year, he won't be moved for anything less than a similar package the Cubs got for Garza.

I'm not saying he's going to be traded for sure, but you can bet Hahn is fielding a ton of calls for him. Because he's affordable and under control for one more year, he won't be moved for anything less than a similar package the Cubs got for Garza.

If Hahn doesn't get a Garza package or better for Peavy, he shouldn't make the deal, and he should tell those teams that are coming up short with their offers that he's going to text them a photo of Peavy every time their #5 starter is out there getting shelled in August and September.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
If Hahn doesn't get a Garza package or better for Peavy, he shouldn't make the deal, and he should tell those teams that are coming up short with their offers that he's going to text them a photo of Peavy every time their #5 starter is out there getting shelled in August and September.

Lol I agree. You get a package that's equal or just as much as what Cubs got for Garza. Cardinals BoSox or DBacks definitely have to overpay.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)

Peavy has been healthier than Garza recently, and the Rangers gave up a lot for him.

I don't know that it is that simple, guys. It depends how liquid the market is for him.

If there aren't enough suitors, then you can stomp your feet all day long and say "the price was set with Garza," but if no one is willing to pay it, then no one is willing to pay it.

Hahn still has to do what is best for the White Sox. That isn't dictated solely by what the Rangers paid for Garza.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
I don't know that it is that simple, guys. It depends how liquid the market is for him.

If there aren't enough suitors, then you can stomp your feet all day long and say "the price was set with Garza," but if no one is willing to pay it, then no one is willing to pay it.

Hahn still has to do what is best for the White Sox. That isn't dictated solely by what the Rangers paid for Garza.

While all of this is true at a high level, starting pitching is always in demand at the trade deadline. Peavy represents the best starter available and by a large margin. There will definitely be teams looking to acquire him and doing so aggresively. Whether or not those teams are willing to give up a package like the one for Garza remains to be seen. Sometimes the first team to sell gets the most because they have more suitors. It's going to be an interesting nine days.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
While all of this is true at a high level, starting pitching is always in demand at the trade deadline. Peavy represents the best starter available and by a large margin. There will definitely be teams looking to acquire him and doing so aggresively. Whether or not those teams are willing to give up a package like the one for Garza remains to be seen. Sometimes the first team to sell gets the most because they have more suitors. It's going to be an interesting nine days.

I don't know what the protocol is on this board for posting links but this one bears on the subject at hand and one that I am interested in since I am a Cardinal and Peavy fan.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...l-peavy-suitors

Edited by mike65

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
I don't know what the protocol is on this board for posting links but this one bears on the subject at hand and one that I am interested in since I am a Cardinal and Peavy fan.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...l-peavy-suitors

As long as you provide links and aren't self promoting your own baseless rumor blog, you are all good

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)

You're right. Hopefully there's a team that will offer up a nice package that benefits the Sox. Just dumping Peavy's salary for something off another team's scrap heap doesn't do the team any good. I think that if the Sox don't get a good enough offer for Peavy, they'll hold onto him.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
You're right. Hopefully there's a team that will offer up a nice package that benefits the Sox. Just dumping Peavy's salary for something off another team's scrap heap doesn't do the team any good. I think that if the Sox don't get a good enough offer for Peavy, they'll hold onto him.

Yes, but it still might also make sense for the White Sox to accept a package that is less than what the Cubs got for Garza.

Other than setting the market for assets, the Rangers-Cubs deal has very little to do with the future health of the White Sox. So while that is definitely a factor, it isn't really as relevant as some think it should be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Yes, but it still might also make sense for the White Sox to accept a package that is less than what the Cubs got for Garza.

Other than setting the market for assets, the Rangers-Cubs deal has very little to do with the future health of the White Sox. So while that is definitely a factor, it isn't really as relevant as some think it should be.

It would really suck to take an offer less than the Cubs got for Garza since one option should have been to call up the Rangers before the Garza deal was completed and say "We'll give you Peavy instead of Garza for that offer".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
It would really suck to take an offer less than the Cubs got for Garza since one option should have been to call up the Rangers before the Garza deal was completed and say "We'll give you Peavy instead of Garza for that offer".

Yeah, and who knows whether those discussions occurred or not.

But really, in the long term outlook for the White Sox, what is going to be more remembered? Whether the outlook on the prospects at the time of the trade was higher than what the Cubs got for Garza, or whether the prospects the White Sox accepted for Peavy turn out to be any good?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)

You have to assume if Jake was their first choice, they would have called the White Sox and made the same offer. Otherwise that is a really bad general manager.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
You have to assume if Jake was their first choice, they would have called the White Sox and made the same offer. Otherwise that is a really bad general manager.

I'd also personally say that preferring Garza to Peavy would be "being a really bad general manager" as well, but that's maybe a little closer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Why are people wasting their time on greg? He thinks everyone on the White Sox is a stiff. If he can't understand that Peavy should have signicant value at the trade deadline, then he's never going to understand the economics of baseball.

He might have significant value, but there's a big warning sign with Jake Peavy regarding possible future injury. Are the White Sox still the only team in history to acquire a player (Peavy) when he was on the disabled list? I hope they get can't miss prospects for him. I want the Sox to win. But because of the sorry state of our s***ty franchise and its putrid minor league system, I think my critical tone is warranted this season.

We may well have refused that deal. Maybe we don't like those guys (it WAS pitching heavy, which doesn't seem like what we'd go for) and maybe Rick has been offered packages that he thinks are better.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
We may well have refused that deal. Maybe we don't like those guys (it WAS pitching heavy, which doesn't seem like what we'd go for) and maybe Rick has been offered packages that he thinks are better.

That's fine, I'm just saying if we refused that deal...we shouldn't accept a lesser deal for Jake.

Has anyone here ever felt the need to defecate but found it impossible... As in, the sun can not break through heavy storm clouds... And just sits near the closed gates... Wanting all the while to reign down in a thunderous plunge?

Ladies?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Has anyone here ever felt the need to defecate but found it impossible... As in, the sun can not break through heavy storm clouds... And just sits near the closed gates... Wanting all the while to reign down in a thunderous plunge?

Ladies?

Thunderous plunge...That's a good screen name.