Hey! There's a Sox game on now! 7/27/13

Brian

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
Don't blame the messenger. I freak out when he does something insanely bad that costs us games. The last time I freaked was his infamous not running it out.

No I blame the troll that frequents this board aka you.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
You're assuming Lough would have fielded it cleanly on a hop which is very unlikely considering he went all out for it.

You don't know he's going to dive while the ball is on the way to him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 02:52 AM)
He is also a terrible defender and if you do tie or take the lead the better defense is already on the field. Don't act like other coaches don't make that switch

In the 7th, not all that often I would suggest but I have no stats to prove it. Now, if the Sox were winning at that point, I would absolutely agree with the move.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
I'd be a hell of a lot more mad if this was last season. Now, it's just 2013 White Sox baseball and one game closer to the deadline and an eventual top 5 pick.

Yup, that stuff just becomes entertaining at this point. I feel bad for Chris but losses are good.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
I don't know how can you watch him play this last week and put your name on the line to recommend him.

Whether you like it or not Rios according to Heyman has a good reputation. You think one week of baseball is going to turn him into a bad guy?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)
In the 7th, not all that often I would suggest but I have no stats to prove it. Now, if the Sox were winning at that point, I would absolutely agree with the move.

The problem was that it was unclear if we were going to get any more baserunners and with that situation, it looked like it might be our best chance to score in that game.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
That play was a little tougher than we're making it seem. If he stays at third and the ball hits the ground (especially with no dive), he can't score. He basically had to decide in mid-air if it was more likely to be caught or not caught. He thought it wouldn't be caught, because of course it shouldn't have been.

Ventura said this post game but seriously would've been better to find out if Rios had done the right thing. Lough dove ,caught it ,slid on his stomach ,has to get up ,get in a position to throw and make an accurate throw and even then Rios probably beats it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)

The Sox can't score, at all. The guy has nobody that is clutch, nobody can steal a base off the bench, nobody cn get extra base hits. Nobody can do s***, and you sit here and pick apart a totally trivial move that was an attempt to try and score.

Robin is far from perfect, but I'm not gonna b**** about that.

If the Sox want to trade Rios, they'll trade Rios. The problem is what teams are willing to give up for him. Buddy Bell was on with Rongey today, and said the Sox have specific players that they want from other teams, and if they can't get them, they won't trade guys.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
I don't know what you're arguing here... he did dive? There is simple rule in baserunning "freeze on a liner" I would argue if you're tagging at third that would be the exception. Even if he just froze there he may have still have had a chance. Much better than running 30-45 feet down the line for nothing.

When you see that ball off the bat, you have two options

a) go back to third -- you will not score on if it hits the ground because he'll throw you out. The one exception is if he dives and misses and the ball goes by him (on a trap play, you're still not scoring)

b) go halfway, score if it hits the ground, go back and not score if there is a catch (which would require a web gem type play)

He chose the wrong one. Let's not act like it was a play where it was clear a catch was being made, though

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
If the Sox want to trade Rios, they'll trade Rios. The problem is what teams are willing to give up for him. Buddy Bell was on with Rongey today, and said the Sox have specific players that they want from other teams, and if they can't get them, they won't trade guys.

Sounds just fine

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
This. Though I have no idea how good Loughs arm is. If he lets the ball drop and makes an accurate throw Rios is cooked anyway. All of Loughs momentum was going toward home plate.

Guys, I disagree. If Rios tags up, even if it drops he jogs in. That's why guys like Hudler were laughing. I'd love to hear what Hawk and Stoney said and what the Sox radio guys said.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
I don't think for one second a scout cares about that play in the 9th. If anything, they might think they can get him to care more playing on a better team.

I just disagree on this. I just don't see why a contending team would want to take on Jose Guillen Rios unless the Sox pay almost all of his contract.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)
No I blame the troll that frequents this board aka you.

Ask the people where I work if I am a troll. We all were watching the game on TV here (all Royals fans plus me) and I FREAKED out after initially laughing, then screaming. Trolls do not care like I CARE.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

a) go back to third -- you will not score on if it hits the ground because he'll throw you out. The one exception is if he dives and misses and the ball goes by him (on a trap play, you're still not scoring)

b) go halfway, score if it hits the ground, go back and not score if there is a catch (which would require a web gem type play)

He chose the wrong one. Let's not act like it was a play where it was clear a catch was being made, though

There's honestly some chance he gets thrown out if he tagged up -- I don't recall how quickly Lough got to his feet but that was a shallow fly

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 03:01 AM)
There's honestly some chance he gets thrown out if he tagged up -- I don't recall how quickly Lough got to his feet but that was a shallow fly

He would have been safe if he tagged up. I agree with you about the play not being an easy decision for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
Ask the people where I work if I am a troll. We all were watching the game on TV here (all Royals fans plus me) and I FREAKED out after initially laughing, then screaming. Trolls do not care like I CARE.

1.I dont give a s*** about the people you work with

2. Screaming and making ridiculous comments about Rios even after the awful play is trolling. You do this even if there isnt a freakin game on. I'm still trying to figure out what Rios did to your family to cause all this hostility.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
The problem was that it was unclear if we were going to get any more baserunners and with that situation, it looked like it might be our best chance to score in that game.

If man on 1st 2 outs is our best position to score with 2 other innings to go its very sad. 1 out given away Tekotte out stealing , then another with the Alexi double play next inning .Taking out a guy who has looked pretty good lately with the bat when your whole offense is struggling down just 1 run isn't what I would have done .

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

No, I disagree with you, Jake. Less than two outs and you freeze on a liner. Rios went down the line as soon as it was hit and took himself out of the play.

That is baseball 101, they teach you that in t ball

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 02:02 AM)
1.I dont give a s*** about the people you work with

2. Screaming and making ridiculous comments about Rios even after the awful play is trolling. You do this even if there isnt a freakin game on. I'm still trying to figure out what Rios did to your family to cause all this hostility.

What you call trolling I call reacting with honest emotion (anger). It was obvious the guy was going to dive. By diving, no matter what happens (ball landing in glove or hitting ground) Rios scores if he tags up. Seriously, listen to the Royals' announcers call of the play. Hudler busted out laughing and said something like. 'what more can they do (to help KC)?" I am in favor of keeping Robin after he showed he was a leader in disciplining Rios, but how many of these type games can he take before just resigning in the offseason??

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:02 PM)
He would have been safe if he tagged up. I agree with you about the play not being an easy decision for him.

I was sitting behind the Sox dugout. Rios went halfway down the line and froze. It was very apparen5 if the ball was going to be caught the RF would have to get on the ground.i know a few thousand people were telling him to tag. 3 stupid plays by him the last 2 weeks. Jaking it to first. Getting deeked by the SS and this. He is a talented but dumb player.