Wise Gone

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Good riddance.

Thanks for the Buehrle catch.

I am sure we will sign you prior to the 2015 season anyways so until then!

I don't think "good riddance" is necessary...it's just a matter of age, numbers, etc... Best of luck to DWheezy...and he provided one of the best moments in Sox history! It was just time to make room for younger players who might have a future bettering the team...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
I wonder if he will end up back in Charlotte?

The statement in the press release was that he was put on waivers with the intention of giving him his unconditional release. That's not something they always say.

I wonder if he will end up back in Charlotte?

There is no reason for the Sox to give Wise playing time at Charlotte when we just acquired two new OF who need to play a lot.

Best place for Wise is to a contending team's AAA club where he can get called up and be a useful pinch-runner/defensive replacement in meaningful September games.

For how little the Sox paid him, Wise was an incredibly productive and valuable player during his White Sox career, both tenures. He was a good 4th outfielder and he should have always remained that, as he was never qualified to be a starting player. It was not his fault that he was thrust into that opportunity in 2009, and he was given unjust grief due to Ozzie Guillen.

Without his production down the 2008 stretch run, the Sox don't secure a playoff birth. I still remember watching his grand slam on ESPN against the Tigers after Marcus Thames hit a grand slam to tie the game and that was such a relief, because the Sox were seemingly prone to blowing leads down the stretch in 2008. Thankfully, everything worked out. There sure was something crazy about that team and hitting grand slams, as they had 12 of them that season.

How can anybody bad-mouth him after he saved the Buehrle game? Which I happened to be AT, yo.

I believe "The Catch" is still printed on the LF wall, right? After they made the heinous decision to take off all the Sox HOF players and simply put their numbers under the Stadium Club? Lame.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
How can anybody bad-mouth him after he saved the Buehrle game? Which I happened to be AT, yo.

I believe "The Catch" is still printed on the LF wall, right? After they made the heinous decision to take off all the Sox HOF players and simply put their numbers under the Stadium Club? Lame.

No, I believe "The catch" was removed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
For how little the Sox paid him, Wise was an incredibly productive and valuable player during his White Sox career, both tenures. He was a good 4th outfielder and he should have always remained that, as he was never qualified to be a starting player. It was not his fault that he was thrust into that opportunity in 2009, and he was given unjust grief due to Ozzie Guillen.

Without his production down the 2008 stretch run, the Sox don't secure a playoff birth. I still remember watching his grand slam on ESPN against the Tigers after Marcus Thames hit a grand slam to tie the game and that was such a relief, because the Sox were seemingly prone to blowing leads down the stretch in 2008. Thankfully, everything worked out. There sure was something crazy about that team and hitting grand slams, as they had 12 of them that season.

He caught the ball for Beurhle and he got hot in 2008 after Quentin went down.

But for most of the time with the Sox, he was productive in the sense that the 2013 Sox offense is productive

His OBP with the sox is .266; his OPS is 661.

You could find dozens of players at the minimum salary who can best that

We caught some lightening from him in 2008 and that's it.

Edited by GreenSox