Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

Quick scouting report from bleacher report:

If you throw him 90-92 [mph] inside, he gets beat a lot. I don't think he's going to hit a good hard fastball in. But there's a lot of marginal pitching out there. The No. 1 and 2 starters are going to get him out, but he's going to feast on the 3, 4 and 5 guys. That's where he's going to make his money.

His swing is thick and sort of stiff. His front arm gets kind of rigid, and it's more a strength swing than a real quick bat. But he's a smart hitter, and he's not just up there swinging out of his butt. He's crafty. I think he'll make the adjustments.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Rock could you give us anything towards CF? You mention it as a position we can improve on so you would say there is a plan or at least a possibility we go with someone other than De Aza?

I would honestly be happy with a great defender in CF a la Bourjos.

Nothing at the moment. Keep an eye on it though.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
I liked the Kepp signing originally, but learned to hate him as the season progressed. That said, I dont think he is as bad as he was this season.

He was signed as a starter and showed once again he's not. At least not on a contending team.

I think we have learned from a lot of these marginal teams like TB, Oak, Cle that you can really maximize talent if you know how to get undervalued guys and build platoons. This is something we've always resisted because we like to get players that are considered everyday starters, but getting a higher percentage of roleplayers is becoming the norm it seems, especially when you're seeing a lot of roster turnover like us. Kepp can be really useful for this

Absolutely love this move, couldn't be more excited. We've filled our biggest hole with the best free agent available at the position. Here's what we currently have for next year offensively:

1B) Abreu

2B) Beckham (or Semien)

SS) Ramirez

3B) Gillaspie/Keppinger

LF) Viciedo

CF) De Aza

RF) Garcia

DH) Dunn

C) Phegley

Catcher & 3B are the only true holes IMO. I think Hahn will try to address C in free agency, as the idea of entering the season with Phegley as the starter is quite frightening. At least with 3B we should be able to get reasonable production from a Gillaspie/Keppinger platoon. Still a long-term problem for us, so you got to think Hahn will explore trade possibilities. It's amazing how much better shape we're in after this one move though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
Absolutely love this move, couldn't be more excited. We've filled our biggest hole with the best free agent available at the position. Here's what we currently have for next year offensively:

1B) Abreu

2B) Beckham (or Semien)

SS) Ramirez

3B) Gillaspie/Keppinger

LF) Viciedo

CF) De Aza

RF) Garcia

DH) Dunn

C) Phegley

Catcher & 3B are the only true holes IMO. I think Hahn will try to address C in free agency, as the idea of entering the season with Phegley as the starter is quite frightening. At least with 3B we should be able to get reasonable production from a Gillaspie/Keppinger platoon. Still a long-term problem for us, so you got to think Hahn will explore trade possibilities. It's amazing how much better shape we're in after this one move though.

Call me silly if you want but McCann, AJ, or bust.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)

I dont see AJP coming back. I think Salty and McCann are realistic. The Sox still have some money to spend and they also had some decent trading chips. They also want at least one good Vet in the lineup, now that could be Dunn or Konerko, the jury is OUT.

And it looks like everything is quiet on the Abreu front, sounds to me like its a done deal pending physical. I'll see if I can get some travel information as far as timing.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)

I really doubt we have the money for mcCann but if we were to some how sign him I might s*** my pants everyday till opening day, and I wouldn't even care. He's a perfect fit and is young enough could be + production we desperately need. I just don't know if Hahn has it in him. Anyone know if he was asked that at the fan conference call today?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)
"Our Chuck" with a gem (granted in Cuba but definitely encouraging...) :

The White Sox want players with plate discipline. Jose Abreu had 74 walks and 49 strikeouts this season--with 30 HRs and batted .399.

Just so people are aware, I believe a ton of his walks were intentional. Still impressive numbers, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions about his plate discipline yet.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
I really doubt we have the money for mcCann but if we were to some how sign him I might s*** my pants everyday till opening day, and I wouldn't even care. He's a perfect fit and is young enough could be + production we desperately need. I just don't know if Hahn has it in him. Anyone know if he was asked that at the fan conference call today?

If I was to gues, I would say we have over 10 million to spend, probably more like 20 this year.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)

We've got the $$

We got our possible superstar hitter.

Now add McCann and then shoot for the moon with Ellsbury (trade ADA for what you can), roll with this next year.

CF - Ellsbury

RF - Garcia

DH - Dunn

1B - Abreu

C - McCann

LF - Viciedo

SS - Alexei

3B - Semien

2B - Beckham

Bench:

Keppinger, Gillaspie, D2, Phegley

I'm so proud of Rick for targeting this dude and doing what it took throughout the yearto make it work. It's moves like this that gets the fan base pumping again he'll create a buzz this winter with this move alone. If he truly has 10-20Mil left to

Spend and can get McCann the fans have to show up come April. Could you imagine that young lineup with players easy to bust out like Beckham, Alexi (meh, hopefully with another Cuban B.), Garcia, and Tank. Add in Abreu and McCann plus our roto. Great job rick'ey you got me pumped sir!

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
I feel like someone has to go between Beckham, Ramirez, Viciedo and De Aza. I honestly doubt we upgrade at 3B. If anything is different it'll be Semien getting time there. To me it's trade Beckham and put Semien at 2B.

IMO, the key move right now is addressing catcher and then finding a way to improve the overall team OBP. McCann would solve both needs. Trading Beckham and opening up a spot for Semien (which I'd like to see happen) would also help with the latter. I still think Hahn will explore all options at 3B, but is only going to make a move if a long-term solution is available. Hanley, Headley, & Sandoval are all free agents next year, so I'm not completely against giving a Gillapsie/Keppinger platoon a shot at 3B for 2014, but I wouldn't pass up on acquiring a top 3B prospect if a guy Santiago could net you such a player.

I see this as a job making or breaking move by Hahn. You can have a guy like Dunn bust because it was pretty much unforeseeable. Abreu has such a high degree of risk that giving this contract to him becomes an incredibly pivotal moment for the franchise

Cespedes general quote when asked about JDA:

"Cespedes recently told USA Today that Abreu shares some attributes with Miguel Cabrera, another former shortstop who outgrew the position and flourished as baseball's best hitter. "If he had just a tad more speed, he would be a complete player," Cespedes told the paper."

Espn: http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=968...amp;src=desktop