Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
From what I've been told, it sounds like they plan to pursue Abreu very aggressively. You never know what closes it, but it won't be for lack of trying.

So one of the soxtalk insiders says the Sox wanna bring back PK and another says they want Abreu....This is the trade deadline all over again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Or Dunn could get traded.

I think this more of a possibility than it has been in the past. Only one year left on his contract, he's hitting at about his career average again, and he's shown that he's not horrendous in the field. If, however, he traded, I wouldn't expect much in return. Freeing the salary and roster spot might be worth it, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to temper the mood on Abreu Jerry Crasnick (ESPN) has a nice article up detailing his shortcomings and basically giving us a buyer beware summary. The talent evaluators mostly agree that Abreu has legit power if he can harness it but will be challenged by fastballs in tight and breaking balls at te MLB level. The article says he has no value as a base clogger and may be a bit heavy but at thend it is pointed out he has trimmed down a bit. They try to guess his contract value and mention something like a 4 year 40 million contract.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/onenat...se-dariel-abreu

It doesn't mention the Sox as a potential team to match him up with but maybe that is a good thing.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Just to temper the mood on Abreu Jerry Crasnick (ESPN) has a nice article up detailing his shortcomings and basically giving us a buyer beware summary. The talent evaluators mostly agree that Abreu has legit power if he can harness it but will be challenged by fastballs in tight and breaking balls at te MLB level. The article says he has no value as a base clogger and may be a bit heavy but at thend it is pointed out he has trimmed down a bit. They try to guess his contract value and mention something like a 4 year 40 million contract.

It doesn't mention the Sox as a potential team to match him up with but maybe that is a good thing.

I think the article covered literally every possibility that Abreu could become. The agreements seem to be on his power. That's about it.

Several other clubs appear intrigued. San Francisco GM Brian Sabean reportedly took a look at Abreu in the Dominican. The Mets are in desperate need of a bat and have money coming off the books this winter, and the White Sox have some payroll flexibility after trading Jake Peavy and Alex Rios. They've also had experience in the Cuban market with Viciedo and shortstop Alexei Ramirez.
Edited by maggsmaggs

It certainly is in contrast to the early hype I had heard about him and it appears he may not be the "best hitter on the planet" as I had read about him. Still, I hope the Sox make a good effort to sign him as long as it's not a ridiculous overpay. They really need a power hitting first baseman as well as a RH power bat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
This is the concern with any player that isn't in the MLB. You look at what he does when he isn't doing well and then you wonder...will those things happen a BUNCH at the next level and be his downfall? It's difficult to tell.

Yeah, it comes down to the Sox scouting assessment. If they feel like his swing won't translate, I wouldn't pay a dollar for him. But if they are among those high on him, they should really go balls out.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Sep 17, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)

Unless they changed the article ,it does mention the White Sox have payroll flexibility after the Peavy and Rios trades.

When you see these scouting reposrts it makes me wonder if they purposely point out his flaws since they work for teams that might have an interest in Abreu in order to try to keep the bidding down. I expect him to get more than Cespedes or Puig because there is a lack of quality 1st basemen in the minors and also in the Majors. I would be surprised if the bidding doesn't reach $9-10M a year, 4-6 years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Unless they changed the article ,it does mentio the White Sox have payroll flexibility after the Peavy and Rios trades.

When you see these scouting reposrts it makes me wonder if they purposely point out his flaws since they work for teams that might have an interest in Abreu in order to try to keep the bidding down. I expect him to get more than Cespedes or Puig because there is a lack of quality 1st basemen in the minors and also in the Majors. I would be surprised if the bidding doesn't reach $9-10M a year.

I've said this before but worth repeating, Stone and Hawk were discussing Abreu on the air the day after it was learned he'd defected and Stone said quite clearly something along the lines of "I think the White Sox will be interested if the bidding is in the range of $60 million".

I am still skeptical that he would say that without having been told by someone else he could say such a thing, particularly given how specific the number was.

It sounded as much like an opening bid as anything possibly could.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
Unless they changed the article ,it does mentio the White Sox have payroll flexibility after the Peavy and Rios trades.

When you see these scouting reposrts it makes me wonder if they purposely point out his flaws since they work for teams that might have an interest in Abreu in order to try to keep the bidding down. I expect him to get more than Cespedes or Puig because there is a lack of quality 1st basemen in the minors and also in the Majors. I would be surprised if the bidding doesn't reach $9-10M a year.

The other thing is most of the biggest bidders already have 1B.