Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)

At 26 years old he needs to be ready to start in the bigs. I find it interesting he showcases at the Yankees camp. Hopefuilly I am reading too much into that

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
At 26 years old he needs to be ready to start in the bigs. I find it interesting he showcases at the Yankees camp. Hopefuilly I am reading too much into that

Reports that Cano seeks 10 years and $305m probably pull them out of the bidding. They can't get serious about both, and there's only one DH slot for Teixeira and ARod to share.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Reports that Cano seeks 10 years and $305m probably pull them out of the bidding. They can't get serious about both, and there's only one DH slot for Teixeira and ARod to share.

Anyone willing to pay Cano that kind of money over 10yrs is crazy....opps, I hear the Angels calling!!!

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Jesse Sanchez

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Source: #Cuba prospect Jose Abreu declared a free agent & cleared to sign with a team. Giants among clubs taking a long look at the slugger.

Reply Retweet Favorite More

Abreu and Choo and a left handed relief pitcher would be a good off season for me.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Jesse Sanchez

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Source: #Cuba prospect Jose Abreu declared a free agent & cleared to sign with a team. Giants among clubs taking a long look at the slugger.

Reply Retweet Favorite More

Do you think Abreu would have a positive affect on Viciedo? Would that be worth extra $$'s?

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
You said it yourself, the cuban league... Different type of baseball

Listen, I'm not saying he's going to be the Cuban god of walks. I just think that Cuba is a totally different animal than the rest of Latin America and to lump a 26 year old Cuban with other free-swinging Latin American prospects is a bit foolish.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/quick-hits-4.html

Ben Badler of Baseball America spoke with international sources to identify five teams that could sign Jose Dariel Abreu. The White Sox, Nationals, Pirates, Red Sox, and Rangers look like the frontrunners for the Cuban standout with Texas possibly having the inside track on everyone

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
What makes Cuba different? Don't we already got 2 free swingers that are from Cuba? I'm just saying that's the typical aggressive type. Hey if the sox get the guy great, but with Latin players it's difficult to call

This is true, from what I understand. You need Pitch F/X data to really tell without watching him consistently. An unusually high number of Latino pitchers end up as relievers in the MLB, and many scouts (at least the media scouts whose podcasts keep me entertained during workouts) believe this is because the players are encouraged to take advantage of bad mechanics to maximize their velocity and stuff in showcases. The result is a delivery that is difficult to repeat and thus below-average control. So if you assume that pitchers in the Cuban league throw a lot of bad pitches, you could speculate that Abreu's successful high-OBP approach may not translate to the MLB.

However, that's more of an argument to throw out his good numbers than to suggest he has a bad approach. We may not be able to prove he ISN'T a free swinger, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence whatsoever to conclude that he IS a free swinger.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
This is true, from what I understand. You need Pitch F/X data to really tell without watching him consistently. An unusually high number of Latino pitchers end up as relievers in the MLB, and many scouts (at least the media scouts whose podcasts keep me entertained during workouts) believe this is because the players are encouraged to take advantage of bad mechanics to maximize their velocity and stuff in showcases. The result is a delivery that is difficult to repeat and thus below-average control. So if you assume that pitchers in the Cuban league throw a lot of bad pitches, you could speculate that Abreu's successful high-OBP approach may not translate to the MLB.

However, that's more of an argument to throw out his good numbers than to suggest he has a bad approach. We may not be able to prove he ISN'T a free swinger, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence whatsoever to conclude that he IS a free swinger.

For the first little bit of Contreras' White Sox career, and when El Duque was here, I was starting to wonder if it was a rule in Cuba that the count must reach 3 and 2 with every batter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
For the first little bit of Contreras' White Sox career, and when El Duque was here, I was starting to wonder if it was a rule in Cuba that the count must reach 3 and 2 with every batter.

Haha yeah. It seemed like Darvish went through a similar thing, where he needed to adjust to the overall better plate discipline of the MLB compared to the NPB. For the first year he throw nothing in the zone and walked WAY too many batters. But then he realized his stuff was good enough to get strikes in the zone too, and now he's amazing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
I didn't see this Scot Gregor article about the Sox interest in Abreu posted yet. Here it is.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2013100...?interstitial=1

Don't like that KW will be so instrumental to judging Abreu's talents for the org., and it's downright scary considering his recent draft busts, and specifically their common flaws.

Don't want to be too paranoid, but the message to the media that KW is so involved in a potential foundation acquisition is, possibly, another example, of JR trying too hard to keep everyone happy, and as a result, the current GM is moderately undermined by legacy FO personnel, and doesn't have the authority he needs and should have. We saw it with Ozzie/Kenny, we're seeing a different version of it now, maybe. I hope not.

Would love new ownership. Realistically, what are we looking at 2018-2020? Was glad to hear the son has no baseball interest - need new blood all around.