Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Don't like that KW will be so instrumental to judging Abreu's talents for the org., and it's downright scary considering his recent draft busts, and specifically their common flaws.

Don't want to be too paranoid, but the message to the media that KW is so involved in a potential foundation acquisition is, possibly, another example, of JR trying too hard to keep everyone happy, and as a result, the current GM is moderately undermined by legacy FO personnel, and doesn't have the authority he needs and should have. We saw it with Ozzie/Kenny, we're seeing a different version of it now, maybe. I hope not.

Would love new ownership. Realistically, what are we looking at 2018-2020? Was glad to hear the son has no baseball interest - need new blood all around.

Supposedly, and I couldn't find it anywhere online, so I highly doubt it has any truth behind it. But...TSN in Canada was, supposedly, saying they have heard the White Sox will soon be sold to a partnership that involves Wirtz and Delaware North.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Would love new ownership. Realistically, what are we looking at 2018-2020? Was glad to hear the son has no baseball interest - need new blood all around.

Hell, Reinsdorf can adopt me. I'll change my last name and gladly take the White Sox helm.

Seriously thou... how in the hell could his son not want to run the Sox.

Blasphemy.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Supposedly, and I couldn't find it anywhere online, so I highly doubt it has any truth behind it. But...TSN in Canada was, supposedly, saying they have heard the White Sox will soon be sold to a partnership that involves Wirtz and Delaware North.

If that were even remotely true, it would all over the place, even as a rumor, let alone from a legitimate source.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
Hell, Reinsdorf can adopt me. I'll change my last name and gladly take the White Sox helm.

Blasphemy.

Because he has a larger stake in the Bulls and they make a lot more money.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)

Blasphemy.

In all seriousness, it would be my dream job to even serve on the White Sox board of directors, let alone in ownership.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Agreed. Hence why I said that I highly doubt it has any truth behind it.

That would be awesome if true. What Rocky has done for the Hawks in a short time is amazing - that's who we're talking about, correct?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Don't like that KW will be so instrumental to judging Abreu's talents for the org., and it's downright scary considering his recent draft busts, and specifically their common flaws.

Don't want to be too paranoid, but the message to the media that KW is so involved in a potential foundation acquisition is, possibly, another example, of JR trying too hard to keep everyone happy, and as a result, the current GM is moderately undermined by legacy FO personnel, and doesn't have the authority he needs and should have. We saw it with Ozzie/Kenny, we're seeing a different version of it now, maybe. I hope not.

KW being involved should scare everyone. I wish he would just move on.

People from within the system during Kenny's time as GM have talked about the problems - they not only had to identify the best players, they had to find the best ones they could afford. Mix that in with the normal high probability that guys don't work out, and stuff probably won't work out. Kenny has never been highly involved in scouting as GM, though, especially in terms of amateur talent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
If you remember back to pre-GM Kenny Williams, this IS what he is really good at. When he was in charge of just the minor league system, it was tops in baseball.

Yup. The Sox had the top ranked farm system in baseball when Kenny ran it.

I like having him involved in this.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Yup. The Sox had the top ranked farm system in baseball when Kenny ran it.

I like having him involved in this.

It was ranked number one but in reality, it wasn't number one. But the ranking is actually one huge reason he became the GM, and not Dan Evans. Schueler actually recommended Evans. KW wasn't personally responsible for the development and acquisition of all of those players. Perhaps he is a good scout, maybe he is not. Every good scout misses, every good scout has some hits.It doesn't discourage me that he is personally taking a look at Abreu. If anything, Sox fans should be excited KW is involved. It means they are seriously interested.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
If you remember back to pre-GM Kenny Williams, this IS what he is really good at. When he was in charge of just the minor league system, it was tops in baseball.

Top ranked but it didn't produce like it though. But I agree we have had good young players that we traded away (Morse, Gio, Hudson etc.). KW should def be a voice in the org just not THE FINAL VOICE. Let the more pragmatic Hahn be that. And let's never draft another former college football player.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
The Sox recent track record scouting hitters leaves me to believe that whatever their sealed bid is it will be way off.

Sounds like a lot of teams are being aggressive will be interesting to see who walks the walk.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
The Sox recent track record scouting hitters leaves me to believe that whatever their sealed bid is it will be way off.

Like with Viciedo and Puig?

They were in to the very last second on both of those guys. Cespedes, to a lesser extent.

The only one they weren't pursuing hard was Soler.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Like with Viciedo and Puig?

They were in to the very last second on both of those guys. Cespedes, to a lesser extent.

The only one they weren't pursuing hard was Soler.

Exactly. The Sox had the top "sealed bid" on the wrong guy.