Konerko on waivers today

Balta1701

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
I highly doubt it. After seeing what Rios brought, I can't imagine Konerko would bring anything except the relief of the $3m he's still owed, and it really just doesn't make sense to dump him for that at this point.

The one thing that might have changed is if PK said he is ready to go. At that point it wouldn't be about return, but instead trying to get him to a team he wanted to go to.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Either you seriously don't understand player value and the economics of baseball, or you are baiting the hook.

Or perhaps both.

I'm just trying to say he still has value to a contender. It's not like he's so old he's playing like Carlton Fisk did in his final days.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Well baseball is quite the confusing sport! remember?

Yes, there are certain parts of all of it that are absolutely confusing, I do remember. Frankly, that's why I enjoy the game. I do hope you keep reminding me so I am not to be confused by it in the future.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
I'm just trying to say he still has value to a contender. It's not like he's so old he's playing like Carlton Fisk did in his final days.

I agree he has value as a platoon partner. He does not hit righties any more. He can still murder lefties. No one is going to claim him though, especially when I'm pretty sure anybody that claims him owes him $1 mill per year from 2014 through 2020.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Yes, there are certain parts of all of it that are absolutely confusing, I do remember. Frankly, that's why I enjoy the game. I do hope you keep reminding me so I am not to be confused by it in the future.

I agree he has value as a platoon partner. He does not hit righties any more. He can still murder lefties. No one is going to claim him though, especially when I'm pretty sure anybody that claims him owes him $1 mill per year from 2014 through 2020.

Yes, that 1 million a year deal for six years should prevent the waiver claim. I agree.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Isn't the last 6 years negotiable as part of any trade terms? Teams eat salary from players they trade all the time, why would this be different?

Trading him is completely different. If you claim someone on waivers, you are at the mercy of assuming the entirety of the contract.

Also, if the Astros claimed Konerko on waivers, he could simply reject that move as his 10/5 rights apply to waivers as well.

Edited by witesoxfan

Isn't the last 6 years negotiable as part of any trade terms? Teams eat salary from players they trade all the time, why would this be different?

Yes, the deferred money would be negotiable in a trade, but if a team made a waiver claim the Sox could just stick them with that money, thus nobody will claim him.

We may be thinking of two different situations. Yes, under the scenario that a team claims him. But if he clears waivers the Sox can work out any trade, which could include the Sox eating the deferred money.

After I posted again I reread the earlier posts. Damn, it's too early and I haven't finished my first cup of coffee :lol:

Isn't half of Konerko's final year salary deferred over the next 6 seasons ($1m per year until 2019)? I seem to remember this when he re-signed. I wonder how that impacts any trade, since he is likely only making like 10 million this season with roughly 1/5th due for the team that acquires him.

EDIT... just saw this.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)

I was asking the same question. I would imagine the Sox pay the six year deferral and the acquiring team pays the balance of 2013.

Edited by Jillian Michaels' Abs

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Isn't half of Konerko's final year salary deferred over the next 6 seasons ($1m per year until 2019)? I seem to remember this when he re-signed. I wonder how that impacts any trade, since he is likely only making like 10 million this season with roughly 1/5th due for the team that acquires him.

EDIT... just saw this.

I was asking the same question. I would imagine the Sox pay the six year deferral and the acquiring team pays the balance of 2013.

Need a contract lawyer to give his/her opinion

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

EDIT... just saw this.

In a trade, they could do exactly this. If a team claimed him on waivers, I believe they would be stuck with all of his future obligations, as he comes as-is with his current deal. If accurate, that means a team would owe PK about $10 million for the 2 months of play they would get from him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
In a trade, they could do exactly this. If a team claimed him on waivers, I believe they would be stuck with all of his future obligations, as he comes as-is with his current deal. If accurate, that means a team would owe PK about $10 million for the 2 months of play they would get from him.

Some of that was done to move payroll around. I'm also guessing part of it is because Konerko is an ambassador to the Sox, and I'm also guessing that part of it is used as a poison pill of sorts so that, had Konerko been putting up a .330/.400/.550 sort of season this year and the Sox were where they are at, teams would still be leery of claiming him.

I'd like to see the sox hang on to him. I don't think he's done yet, and I'm unsure how everyone else has come to this conclusion. I've thought this guy has been on the brink of irrelevance for 10 years now. I even ranted on here in 2005 to not pay him. I've come close to suicide watching him routinely hit weak ground balls to the shortstop since the day he started with us, and somehow he always comes back and redeems himself. I'm hoping he does it one more time. Unless there is more to the wrist injury that we don't know about, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Konerko Rules.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
Overpaid? Yes.

Bum? Never.

This year's team and whether player is overpaid or not....

Kepp-Overpaid.

Lexi-Overpaid.

Becks-Earning his money.

Paulie-Overpaid.

Flowers-Overpaid.

DeAza-Earning his money barely (I wouldn't argue if somebody thinks he's overpaid).

Viciedo-Overpaid.

Dunn-Overpaid.

Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Danks-Earning his money.

Reed-Earning his money.

Gillaspie - Earning his money (assuming he is paid very little).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)

Kepp-Overpaid.

Lexi-Overpaid.

Becks-Earning his money.

Paulie-Overpaid.

Flowers-Overpaid.

DeAza-Earning his money barely (I wouldn't argue if somebody thinks he's overpaid).

Viciedo-Overpaid.

Dunn-Overpaid.

Reed-Earning his money.

So John Danks is earning his $13 million putting up a 4.54 ERA and a 5.10 FIP while De Aza is barely earning his league minimum salary putting up a .275/.331/.423/.754 triple slash with the second most homers on the team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
So John Danks is earning his $13 million putting up a 4.54 ERA and a 5.10 FIP while De Aza is barely earning his league minimum salary putting up a .275/.331/.423/.754 triple slash with the second most homers on the team.

Danks is coming off the injury and just getting the arm going again, so I figured he was doing all he could to earn the cash.

DeAza ... I figured I better account for his incredible number of stupid mistakes/misplays this season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)

Kepp-Overpaid.

Lexi-Overpaid.

Becks-Earning his money.

Paulie-Overpaid.

Flowers-Overpaid.

Viciedo-Overpaid.

Dunn-Overpaid.

Reed-Earning his money.

I don't think Flowers can be overpaid when he pretty much makes the league minimum, regardless of how much he sucks.