8.18 Sox vs Twins

GGajewski18

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm simply saying that yes he is talented and young but he is a luxury on this team, especially because he could go to a team looking to contend for a world series title and bring the sox back a nice haul similar to what Boston gave up in acquiring Bailey(Reddick) and Melancon(Lowrie).

I see your point but my argument would be with the chance to compete next year. Why not keep our established closer, who is young, controllable for 3 more years after this and go from there. It all starts with pitching, if anyone is getting traded its Danks, Quintana or Santiago.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
I see your point but my argument would be with the chance to compete next year. Why not keep our established closer, who is young, controllable for 3 more years after this and go from there. It all starts with pitching, if anyone is getting traded its Danks, Quintana or Santiago.

Because of the emergence of Johnson and Rienzo

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm simply saying that yes he is talented and young but he is a luxury on this team, especially because he could go to a team looking to contend for a world series title and bring the sox back a nice haul similar to what Boston gave up in acquiring Bailey(Reddick) and Melancon(Lowrie).

or Nestor Molina :(

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
How not? He's 24 years old, has been the closer for 2 years and with good and bad teams.

People that think he's not a good closer don't have a case of replacing him.

He has now saved 31 of 36 games. And 2 of those blown saves the defense was to blame.

And another one (the most recent) he was done in by a pop up bunt that landed in no man's land. Reed is going to keep getting better.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
Because of the emergence of Johnson and Rienzo

There are huge differences between Danks, Santiago, and Quitana compared to Rienzo and Johnson. There is no emergence with Johnson and Rienzo. There's 3 ML starts between them and Rienzo has all 3. That staff we have now is great and it will be the reason if they compete. When you have that staff you make it happy by keeping it's closer around. Better defense would help too.

We all know we need hitting. If the staff can perform next year like they have this year maybe 2 more hitters will improve the team a lot. Hard to say what would help the team the most. You'd like to wait on Viciedo and DeAza is a productive LH bat but they both have issues with defense and DeAza with baserunning. Talented both but flawed in ways that don't help the pitchers on defense. I'd love a speed burner CF who isnt a liability at bat. Who's available is another thing. If the Sox feel they can compete maybe they go after Abreu and McCann .If they can get both and thats a long shot , maybe they trade one or both of Viciedo /DeAza for the kind of CF I want and use Rienzo and Johnson also as the trade bait.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
I know I'm suppose to be rooting for the draft pick, but I kind of like seeing my team win.

Amen, brother.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
People wanting Reed out as closer just don't have a case. Jones is best for a set up role. And Webb needs to prove something in the show first before being named closer.

Addison Reed is so good on a bad team that it's scary. He's our team MVP by far, even ahead of Sale IMO.