2013-14 off season player movement thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 11m

Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.

Sources: #Athletics, #DBacks discussed trade that would have sent Cespedes to AZ for Skaggs-Pollock-plus. However…

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 11m

Both teams now say they were not comfortable with particular deal. For one thing, #Athletics only would trade Cespedes for monster return.

Sources: #Athletics, #DBacks discussed trade that would have sent Cespedes to AZ for Skaggs-Pollock-plus. However…

That makes sense for AZ. They are looking for a corner OF with power, and obviously have extra pitching and OFers to trade off.

I think the A's should have taken that. Cespedes is a decent OF, but hasn't churned out a 3 WAR season yet, and only has 2 years left of team control. Skaggs, Pollock, and whatever other minor leaguers still have 5-6 years of team control left and don't cost a dime. Cespedes is providing surplus value over his contract, but not enough to pass on 2 very good prospects + more.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
I think the A's should have taken that. Cespedes is a decent OF, but hasn't churned out a 3 WAR season yet, and only has 2 years left of team control. Skaggs, Pollock, and whatever other minor leaguers still have 5-6 years of team control left and don't cost a dime. Cespedes is providing surplus value over his contract, but not enough to pass on 2 very good prospects + more.

I thought he had 3 more years of team control? Didn't he sign a 5 year deal?

Otherwise you're making a good case, but for once we might be able to say Oakland is in "win-now" mode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
I thought he had 3 more years of team control? Didn't he sign a 5 year deal?

Otherwise you're making a good case, but for once we might be able to say Oakland is in "win-now" mode.

2 years left. He signed a 4 year deal that granted him Free Agency after his contract ended. In 2012 he put up a 2.9 WAR, in 2013 he had a 2.2 WAR. He's basically been slightly better than De Aza so far, while costing more (but also providing a different skill set, in a pitchers park).

Oh my god, I had no idea that Pollock put up a 3.6 WAR last season playing CF for AZ. I knew he played, but I didn't know he played so well. His offense was alright, but his defense was spectacular. Given the fact that Pollock is younger and has 5 years left of team control, you could argue that he is actually a better player to have right now than Cespedes, who has only 2 years left at $10M each. Man, that would have been a really great deal for the A's.

Seattle looking to make some noise...

Per MLBTR...

"Mariners Willing To Pay Cano $230-240MM

By Steve Adams [December 5 at 3:21pm CST]

Robinson Cano flew to Seattle to meet with the Mariners in person today, and the team has informed him that they are willing to pay as much as $230-240MM on a 10-year contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).

It was reported yesterday that the Mariners may have topped the Yankees' offer of roughly $170MM, but if true, the reported $230-240MM offer would shatter the Yankees' highest bid. The Mariners met with Cano's representatives on Tuesday, according to multiple reports, but this appears to be the first instance of Cano traveling to Seattle to meet with club officials.

Cano and agents Jay-Z of Roc Nation Sports and Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA are said to be seeking something in the neighborhood of $252MM. The Yankees reportedly will not offer Cano more than $200MM, and in the wake of that news, the offense-starved Mariners appear to have emerged as major players in the Cano sweepstakes."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
Looks like Jack Z is in desperation mode to try and save his job.

I'd say JayZ and Mariners both in desperation mode. Looks like Seattle wants to make an offer that for now, nobody will contend with. All this for a guy who's numbers WILL drop hitting in that park.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I'd say JayZ and Mariners both in desperation mode. Looks like Seattle wants to make an offer that for now, nobody will contend with. All this for a guy who's numbers WILL drop hitting in that park.

But still, they could use the production. Their offense underperforms even considering the park factor.

Their payroll last year was only $72 million, that's down from $106 million just over 5 years ago and even down $15 million from the year before. Throw in new TV money and they've got the room and the need.

According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Mariners have let Robinson Cano know that they would be willing to give him a 10-year contract worth between $230-240 million.

If that's the case, we're not sure how Cano hasn't signed with them yet. Only Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez (twice) have received bigger contracts in the history of the game. Rojas hears that Cano took a private flight from from New York to Seattle on Thursday to meet with the Mariners, so reports pegging them as a serious threat would appear to be accurate. We'll soon see whether this will be enough for the Yankees to increase their limit, which is reportedly in the range of seven years and $175 million.

Per Rotoworld

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, the Mariners have let Robinson Cano know that they would be willing to give him a 10-year contract worth between $230-240 million.

If that's the case, we're not sure how Cano hasn't signed with them yet. Only Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez (twice) have received bigger contracts in the history of the game. Rojas hears that Cano took a private flight from from New York to Seattle on Thursday to meet with the Mariners, so reports pegging them as a serious threat would appear to be accurate. We'll soon see whether this will be enough for the Yankees to increase their limit, which is reportedly in the range of seven years and $175 million.

Per Rotoworld

If I had that offer in hand I'd go back to the Yankees at least once.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
But still, they could use the production. Their offense underperforms even considering the park factor.

Their payroll last year was only $72 million, that's down from $106 million just over 5 years ago and even down $15 million from the year before. Throw in new TV money and they've got the room and the need.

Oh ya, I agree they need the help badly. I should have specified Cano's HR totals will drop, at least the home games anyway. Otherwise he'll be fine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
And if I'm the Yankees, I say "Thanks for all of your contributions over the years. Good luck in Seattle, kid."

And the Rays, Orioles, Blue Jays, and Red Sox would add in thanks for departing and helping their shot at the division.

Another update from MLBTR...

"6:45pm: The Mariners are "about to offer" Cano a nine-year, $225MM deal, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports. Heyman indicates that Seattle is bidding $225MM to stay $50MM ahead of the Yankees, whose don't want to top $175MM."

Seems the Mariners just might make this happen.