Cubs to inquire on Sale?

chisoxfan09

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A deal doesn't make sense for the Cubs, but I would totally send Sale their way for Baez, Soler, Edwards, and Bryant. The Cubs would be better off sending Soler, Edwards, and a couple low levels prospects for Price though and signing him to an extension.

I think the most the Cubs will give up for any TOR Ace is two of their big 4 prospects (Soler, Bryant, Almora, or Baez) but not 3 or 4. Then throw in 2 B propsects like Alcantara or Vogelbach. But that won't get it done for either a Price, Sale, or similar type pitchers. Especially lefties which are rare enough as it is. Toss in Sale's extremely cost controlled contract and that makes it virtually impossible.

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 05:44 AM)
I'd hope that if the Sox were to even entertain dealing Chris, Stanton would be the first in their list of players they'd want in return

Though you wouldn't get anything else

I don't get this line of thinking. What does trading Sale straight-up for Stanton accomplish? Fill one hole by creating an even bigger one? Legitimate aces are the hardest players to find, especially ones under long-term team friendly contracts. And no offense, Stanton might be the most overrated player on this entire board. He's been a damn good player for a while now, but only has one truly "great" season under his belt. You don't move Sale in a 1-1 deal unless you're the clear winner. For Mike Trout? Of course, not that the Angels would ever make that deal. For Giancarlo Stanton? No way in hell.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
I think the most the Cubs will give up for any TOR Ace is two of their big 4 prospects (Soler, Bryant, Almora, or Baez) but not 3 or 4. Then throw in 2 B propsects like Alcantara or Vogelbach. But that won't get it done for either a Price, Sale, or similar type pitchers. Especially lefties which are rare enough as it is. Toss in Sale's extremely cost controlled contract and that makes it virtually impossible.

If the Cubs offered Baez, Bryant, Alcantara and Vogelbach, I think that would be enough for them to get Price. You're talking 2 of the 5 best hitting prospects in baseball most likely.

If the Cubs offered Baez, Bryant, Alcantara and Vogelbach, I think that would be enough for them to get Price. You're talking 2 of the 5 best hitting prospects in baseball most likely.

I'm not exactly sure they wouldn't prefer to ask for Sale instead. I am no expert but is Sale's upside much better than Price's? I mean from a delivery and mechanics point of view Price is much smoother but he has multiple winning seasons under his belt and 2 years of ARB control which will cost probably between 15-18 million each. Then come the Free Agency years that are sure to be north of 22-23 million and it gets crazy real quick.

The thing that will really put Sale in the Kershaw and Price conversation as one of the top 3 lefty Aces is if he can have multiple winning seasons starting 2014. Then there is the question of his mechanics. Some on the board have already predicted his arm will fall off sooner rather than later but the blogger that posted this article seems to think that his delivery although violent will not be a long term injury concern. Who knows. It was a fun thread though.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm not exactly sure they wouldn't prefer to ask for Sale instead. I am no expert but is Sale's upside much better than Price's? I mean from a delivery and mechanics point of view Price is much smoother but he has multiple winning seasons under his belt and 2 years of ARB control which will cost probably between 15-18 million each. Then come the Free Agency years that are sure to be north of 22-23 million and it gets crazy real quick.

The thing that will really put Sale in the Kershaw and Price conversation as one of the top 3 lefty Aces is if he can have multiple winning seasons starting 2014. Then there is the question of his mechanics. Some on the board have already predicted his arm will fall off sooner rather than later but the blogger that posted this article seems to think that his delivery although violent will not be a long term injury concern. Who knows. It was a fun thread though.

Nobody cares if he has "winning seasons" trust me on this.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
OK, but what about the whole question of mechanics? I know injuries can happen at anytime but I keep reading Sale is headed for TJ surgery at some point in his early career.

Chris is at not higher risk of injury than any other pitcher in baseball, I assume people around baseball have started to realize this now.

I don't think its a poor strategy on the part of the White Sox to consider trading Sale if they can get a monster return that will anchor 3-4 positions with impressive young talent for the future. I think of things like when the Rangers traded Mark Texeria to the Braves and received Holland, Feliz, and Andrus. Similar concept here. The White Sox have so many needs in their starting nine, such a long way to go. I think the correct model of building a winner, is similar to what you saw the Nationals do, get the young core in place, get em to the major leagues, let em develop a bit, and then BOOM you add talent around it via free agency and trades to build a WS contender. If trading Sale could get us 3-4 positions locked down for 6+ years of control with that core of young talent we need I would do it in a heartbeat and I think Hahn would too. It's just a matter of does that monster haul of young players exist out there. And to be honest if the Cubs were willing to trade Soler, Baez, and Kris Bryant for Sale I would do it if I were Hahn. It would really open up the organization to ancillary moves to rebuild around a young talented trio on it way up.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't think its a poor strategy on the part of the White Sox to consider trading Sale if they can get a monster return that will anchor 3-4 positions with impressive young talent for the future. I think of things like when the Rangers traded Mark Texeria to the Braves and received Holland, Feliz, and Andrus. Similar concept here. The White Sox have so many needs in their starting nine, such a long way to go. I think the correct model of building a winner, is similar to what you saw the Nationals do, get the young core in place, get em to the major leagues, let em develop a bit, and then BOOM you add talent around it via free agency and trades to build a WS contender. If trading Sale could get us 3-4 positions locked down for 6+ years of control with that core of young talent we need I would do it in a heartbeat and I think Hahn would too. It's just a matter of does that monster haul of young players exist out there. And to be honest if the Cubs were willing to trade Soler, Baez, and Kris Bryant for Sale I would do it if I were Hahn. It would really open up the organization to ancillary moves to rebuild around a young talented trio on it way up.

Of course, the real lesson here is actually buyer beware and it's told by your trade. The Tex trade with the Braves...yes the Rangers got those 3 pieces...and none of them were the key piece in the deal. The key piece in the deal was Saltalamacchia, who the Rangers worked for several years, busted, was let go, and finally, more than half a decade later, became a decent piece for Boston this year.

There's a lesson in that. The Rangers had to move him, took the best deal they got, and the key piece of that deal failed and helped set them back a couple years. Yet, the guys who were more throw-ins...those guys a few years down the road became valuable pieces, but they weren't the heralded guys the Rangers got back; Salty was.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Of course, the real lesson here is actually buyer beware and it's told by your trade. The Tex trade with the Braves...yes the Rangers got those 3 pieces...and none of them were the key piece in the deal. The key piece in the deal was Saltalamacchia, who the Rangers worked for several years, busted, was let go, and finally, more than half a decade later, became a decent piece for Boston this year.

There's a lesson in that. The Rangers had to move him, took the best deal they got, and the key piece of that deal failed and helped set them back a couple years. Yet, the guys who were more throw-ins...those guys a few years down the road became valuable pieces, but they weren't the heralded guys the Rangers got back; Salty was.

Throw-ins? Andrus & Harrison were the #2 and #3 prospects in the system coming into that season. And while Feliz didn't crack their top 10 prospect list just yet (only one professional season under his belt at the time), Baseball America still ranked his fastball the best in the Braves system and would make the Rangers top 10 list the following season (believe #5). Th point is while Salty may have been the best chip, the Rangers got four key pieces in that deal.