Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
D-Backs have a ton of pitching. I really think we have a lot to offer to the Dodgers. They need a starter, a SS (probably as Guererro may be better served for 2B) and back end bullpen pieces.

Ramirez, Santiago and Reed for Joc Pederson and Kemp.

Just spitballing and I doubt either team would do it but the match is there.

The key would be how much money the Dodgers are chipping in. I don't care who they're sending along with, I'm not going to pay $128 million over the next 6 years, until he's 35, for a guy who already seems injury-prone at age 28 and hasn't played a full year in 2 seasons. I would not claim that contract on waivers, not to mention trading anything for him, if I'm sitting there looking at $100 million payrolls the next few years.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought Alexei was going to be easy to move. Beckham on the other hand...some team will take his defense and think they can get his bat right.

Should be interesting for the Sox the next few weeks. I can't remember this much activity this early in the offseason.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
So we can be interested in McCann but not Kemp? Doesn't make sense to me. McCann is a nonathlete heading into his age 30 season. Kemp is an athlete entering his age 29 season.

The only real argument you really have is the Sox taking on that contract. If the Dodgers kick in money and the contract that was a 120 whatever million comes down to say a 100 million contract that's not that far off. Especially if we had money going out as well.

Who said anything about McCann? Not me. Was he really an option in the first place considering the direction the Sox are heading and comments made by Hahn about the Sox not being players in the free agent market plus how McCann would cost a second round pick?

Don't get me wrong, I love what a healthy Matt Kemp would do at the Cell. Hahn has said the Sox are looking for younger talent under team control for years to come that they could eventually extent for additional years. Kemp doesn't seem to fit that scenario at all.

Finally, what compelling reason would the Dodgers have to trade Kemp in the first place?

They don't need the money or salary relief.

They went through the last season watching Ramirez, Kemp and Crawford battle injuries and know the value of having a deep bench.

Plus, Ethier's 2 years older, basically a platoon player now and didn't put an 800 OPS in less than 500 AB's.

If I'm Coletti, I'm waiting for a comeback season from Kemp....and not sending $20-40-60 million to another team to subsidize that contract, knowing just one more MVP caliber year and he becomes a valuable asset again.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
Who said anything about McCann? Not me. Was he really an option in the first place considering the direction the Sox are heading and comments made by Hahn about the Sox not being players in the free agent market plus how McCann would cost a second round pick?

Don't get me wrong, I love what a healthy Matt Kemp would do at the Cell. Hahn has said the Sox are looking for younger talent under team control for years to come that they could eventually extent for additional years. Kemp doesn't seem to fit that scenario at all.

Hey guys, I was hoping for Ramirez to the Cardinals but that is not happening. I came here in July with a hope for Ramirez and, again, this off-season. I will leave zero for two.

I was listening today to XM and they had Josh Byrnes on. I don't know if he slipped but he mentioned that his office was having email problems and he hadn't been able to reach Rick Hahn. He is headed to Chicago for Thanksgiving and said he planned to just walk into his office so they could finish their business. Take it for what it is worth as a parting gift. I sure have enjoyed this board and thanks for making me feel welcome.

I hope 2014 is better for the White Sox.

Edited by mike65

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Hey guys, I was hoping for Ramirez to the Cardinals but that is not happening. I came here in July with a hope for Ramirez and, again, this off-season. I will leave zero for two.

I was listening today to XM and they had Josh Byrnes on. I don't know if he slipped but he mentioned that his office was having email problems and he hadn't been able to reach Rick Hahn. He is headed to Chicago for Thanksgiving and said he planned to just walk into his office so they could finish their business. Take it for what it is worth as a parting gift. I sure have enjoyed this board and thanks for making me feel welcome.

Hmm Headley I'm assuming? Or perhaps Grandal?

Enjoy your Cards sir.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)

Enjoy your Cards sir.

Acquiring Headley for one season to play 3B for the White Sox makes ZERO sense and is going to cost us too much from our major league roster/minor league depth.

And pretty crazy that some are hailing the Peralta move as this super brilliant one...just because it came from StL.

And besides all of that, there's this.

Jhonny Peralta and
k
eeping your fir
s
t-round pic
k
>>>
S
tephen Drew and giving up your fir
s
t-round pic
k

Je
s
s
e
S
pector (@je
s
s
e
s
pector)
November 24, 2013

That's in reference to Peralta not receiving a qualifying offer from the Detroit Tigers. By doing so, Detroit would have received compensation when Peralta signed elsewhere.

It's all adding up to another slick move for Mozeliak, who just 24 hours earlier shipped third baseman David Freese and reliever Fernando Salas to the Los Angeles Angels for outfielders Peter Bourjos and Randal Grichuk. He obviously means business this winter, and the rest of the National League should be on high alert.

www.yahoosports.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)

Enjoy your Cards sir.

I would LOVE Grandal. The organization was supposedly very interested in him come draft time. They also have Hedges who is probably the heir apparent at some point.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Finally, what compelling reason would the Dodgers have to trade Kemp in the first place?

They don't need the money or salary relief.

They went through the last season watching Ramirez, Kemp and Crawford battle injuries and know the value of having a deep bench.

Plus, Ethier's 2 years older, basically a platoon player now and didn't put an 800 OPS in less than 500 AB's.

If I'm Coletti, I'm waiting for a comeback season from Kemp....and not sending $20-40-60 million to another team to subsidize that contract, knowing just one more MVP caliber year and he becomes a valuable asset again.

Very good points! Hadn't thought of those myself but make a lot of sense. I think this finishes off the idea of Kemp on the south side.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)

Thanks for the hope of a better 14 season, we can use all the help we can get. Appreciate the heads up on what Byrne's said. Gives a very boring off season some hope for Sox fans. Don't be a stranger Mike.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
All signs point to Rick wanting to compete next year. Bringing in Headley and extending him makes that even more realistic.

"All signs" like them saying they're going to make a big, "all in" jump in payroll and kicking Konerko to the curb?

I don't see how a trade makes sense with San Diego at all. Alexei doesn't make any more sense for them than Headley does for us. Unless its a young pitcher for their young hitter swap. Grandal is literally the only guy that makes sense from their team to me. And I think that might cost us Q, not sure they'd let him go for Hector.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
I don't see how a trade makes sense with San Diego at all. Alexei doesn't make any more sense for them than Headley does for us. Unless its a young pitcher for their young hitter swap. Grandal is literally the only guy that makes sense from their team to me. And I think that might cost us Q, not sure they'd let him go for Hector.

I'd prefer the Sox look somewhere else. Grandal has been suspended for PED's, and really screwed up his ACL & MCL last year. That can't be good for his long term durability at catcher.

Found this to be interesting per MLBTR...

"Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio wonders if the Cardinals will play Peralta at third base, keep Matt Carpenter at second base, and trade Kolten Wong for a better overall shortstop (via Twitter)."

Is there still hope?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)

I went to Gatewayredbirds.com and most seem happy about the signing and really don't care if Peralta is coming off a steroids suspension that might affect his numbers and that his range is pretty limited in the field . Most also seem happy the Cards didn't give up any minor leaguers .Hahn may 've shot himself in the foot asking for too much if there were any talks at all. I didn't see anyone mention Alexei Ramirez just Tulo, Aybar, Drew, Andrus so maybe you were in a minority about Alexei.

Alexei at $20M for 2 years seems a lot better than Peralta at 4/$52 . Mozeliak must really value his prospects or is saving them up for a bigger deal. Alexei's a year older than Peralta, had more errors but still graded out as a better fielder due to his range being much better. His offense is not a liability as he hits a decent amount of doubles and hit well with men on base and also stole 30 bases despite being 32. He justs seems to be more of a Cardinals typer player. Good luck .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
"All signs" like them saying they're going to make a big, "all in" jump in payroll and kicking Konerko to the curb?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 24, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Er, what signs?

I can't find the article that I believe "Dayan" posted that talked about how they weren't "passing" on 2014, and it went along with what Bucket has said at the beginning of the offseason.

headley rotoworld

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that there is "growing sentiment" that Chase Headley will be traded this offseason.

It's been previously reported that the Padres had determined they would not deal Headley and instead would look to sign him to an extension this winter. ESPN's Buster Olney said last week those talks haven't begun, so perhaps the club has had a change of heart. If the Padres do decide to trade Headley, they would be selling low, as he's coming off a disappointing season following his breakout showing in 2012. Nov 17