Who'd you Rather: Salty or Wieters?

QuickJones81

Is there a neither option?

But if I had to pick 1 I guess I'd go with Salty. It wouldn't be a good contract, but it wouldn't be bad enough to handcuff the organization or anything either.

Johnson has a chance to be a legit #3, if not #2 starter. I'm not trading him + a guy who has a shot to be a starting 2B in the near future for Weiters

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
If you were Rick Hahn, and you had two options for a catcher in front of you, which would you take and why:

Option A: Jarrod Saltalamacchia at a cost of 4 yrs / $36M

Option B: Matt Wieters at a cost of Erik Johnson, Tyler Flowers, and Carlos Sanchez

At those prices, Saltalamacchia 14 times out of 10. I'm not giving up more than Snodgress for Wieters. He's been a mediocre offensive player, he's 2 years from free agency, and his agent is Boras.

I don't mind the idea of acquiring Wieters dependent upon the cost, but I don't see him resigning easily either. Frankly, I'm expecting stopgaps at catcher for the next year.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
If you were Rick Hahn, and you had two options for a catcher in front of you, which would you take and why:

Option B: Matt Wieters at a cost of Erik Johnson, Tyler Flowers, and Carlos Sanchez

Something about Salty crushing mammoth HR's against all the RH pitching in our division appeals to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
At those prices, Saltalamacchia 14 times out of 10. I'm not giving up more than Snodgress for Wieters. He's been a mediocre offensive player, he's 2 years from free agency, and his agent is Boras.

I don't mind the idea of acquiring Wieters dependent upon the cost, but I don't see him resigning easily either. Frankly, I'm expecting stopgaps at catcher for the next year.

What kind of realistic deal would it take for you to choose Wieters over Saltalamacchia, or is there no fit in your mind that both teams would buy into?

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
What kind of realistic deal would it take for you to choose Wieters over Saltalamacchia, or is there no fit in your mind that both teams would buy into?

A C+ prospect for him. If you said Snodgress, I wouldn't bat an eye - you trade for Wieters. Hell, I'd probably give up Sanchez for him. He has a boatload of talent and was actually very good offensively in the minors. But consider this from Baltimore's perspective: they need to cut costs, they've been generally unhappy with Wieters' development as a hitter, and he's about to get expensive. They don't have a ton of leverage in negotiations. If they can potentially get a piece to play and start in 2015, they have to consider it if they're truly looking to cut costs and are shopping Wieters.

I would love to have Wieters, but only if the price is right, which I would fear we'd vastly overpay for him. I just think Wieters has too much talent not to figure it out in some way. He's not going to be the "Joe Mauer with power" sort of guy I remember one article saying, but eventually I think he'll come around.

Right now in his career I'd put him with Alex Gordon. The Royals were hoping for the next George Brett which hasn't happened, but he has improved over the course of his career. There were numerous people in this site hoping Kenny Williams would try to trade for him when the Royals were sending him back to the minors, me being one as well. Since then over the past 3 seasons on average he's batted .287, 19 HR's, 41 2B's, 80 RBI's, 13 SB's, along with 3 Gold Gloves and WAR average of 6 in those 3 years. Still wish the Sox could've gotten him somehow!

Not saying Wieters can turn it around to even the extent of Gordon, but wouldn't mind giving him a chance.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
Someone on the interwebs described a trade of Santiago + Beckham for Wieters, and I actually thought that was a pretty fair deal.

I think that's good if we can resign him otherwise I think that's too much for a couple of years of Wieters.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
A C+ prospect for him. If you said Snodgress, I wouldn't bat an eye - you trade for Wieters. Hell, I'd probably give up Sanchez for him. He has a boatload of talent and was actually very good offensively in the minors. But consider this from Baltimore's perspective: they need to cut costs, they've been generally unhappy with Wieters' development as a hitter, and he's about to get expensive. They don't have a ton of leverage in negotiations. If they can potentially get a piece to play and start in 2015, they have to consider it if they're truly looking to cut costs and are shopping Wieters.

Which means you really don't want him . There might be 25 teams willing to offer more and certainly more at the trading deadlines for the next 2 years among those in contention.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)

I think it would cost more for Wieters then you are proposing but at that price, I'll go with Wieters. Superior defensively and we seem to be able to find pitching.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Which means you really don't want him . There might be 25 teams willing to offer more and certainly more at the trading deadlines for the next 2 years among those in contention.

Really, I don't. I don't think they'd be able to resign him if he busted out and I don't think they'd want to if he doesn't. Salty is a nice piece but I don't think the Sox are going to be interested.

Go into next year with Perez from the Rule 5 and Flowers and Phegley and I'm a happy camper.

Ugh the thought of signing Salty sickens me, there is a reason the Red Sox are fine with letting him walk. To me he is the definition of a serviceable catcher, but he is an awful fit for this team. We have enough low BA, low OBP players on this roster already. Salty had a good year this past season, his FA year go figure, but his previous seasons with the Red Sox your looking at a .220 hitter with a sub .300 OBP. He had a negative Offensive WAR every season with Boston except for his walk year, again go figure. He can slug a bit so that's good, but I really don't see him being a player that Rick Hahn has said they are looking for, in Salty's 7 seasons hes only posted an OBP above .300 twice. We already have two catchers who can post .220 BA's with .280 OBP's, why do we need a new one for 4/36?

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)

Salty by a mile

We can't trade our top pitching prospects at this point.

That's the stuff that gets us into these messes.