With Abreu Signing; Konerko Not Out

southsider2k5

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
They could go with a 6 man bullpen to keep him.

When's the last time we went with a six man bullpen for an extended period of time? I honestly can't even remember.

If they bring Konerko back, then I think they eat a big chunk of Keppinger's contract and straight up dump him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
Don't they usually go with 3 lefties/3 righties in the pen?

Very few teams typically have 3 lefties available for the bullpen. The Sox have generally gone with 2 the last few years but that was helped because Thornton was one of the best all around relievers in the game for years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
When's the last time we went with a six man bullpen for an extended period of time? I honestly can't even remember.

If they bring Konerko back, then I think they eat a big chunk of Keppinger's contract and straight up dump him.

I can't remember that either, but I also can't remember the last time they had a RH hitting backup 1b on the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
I can't remember that either, but I also can't remember the last time they had a RH hitting backup 1b on the bench.

Which is obviously the problem with bringing back Konerko. Either you're taking away some flexibility from your bench or you're removing an arm from your pen. I think you could get away with a four man bench composed of Garcia, Danks, Konerko, and a backup catcher, but it's far from ideal plus you'd have to find a way to get rid of Keppinger. Regardless, I think that would be the preferred route than going with a six man pen.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox have spoken to Paul Konerko. Sounds as if there's a spot open for him if he wants it. But he hasnt indicated his plans.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 41m

I always believed if Konerko wanted to return for '14, there would be a spot for him with the White Sox--as there should be.

I have made my thoughts on this clear. Really stupid decision in my opinion. I hope Reinsdorf is behind this move because it would make me question Rick Hahn's judgment.

First major fail by Rick Hahn. Hopefully PK retires.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 05:23 PM)

2005 comes to mind when the Sox carried five bench players.

However, that's neither here nor there. I think people are thinking Dunn AND Konerko when it will most likely come down to Dunn or Konerko. And quite frankly, if Konerko saying he wants to return means trading Dunn (I might be slightly biased), I'm all for it.

But if anyone in the organization thinks having three 1B/DH only types on the roster is a good idea, then we are in worse shape than I thought.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Regardless of what happens, I don't know if it's appropriate to use the adjective "major" in reference to the 25th man on the roster.

Ha, that's a good point. It would just be 100% based on nostalgia, not a baseball decision, which bothers me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 05:53 AM)
I don't think he comes back, but it is a bench spot, and would mean the end of watching Adam Dunn trying to hit LH pitching. Not ideal, but not the end of the world, especially if you don't believe the Sox can contend in 2014.

I've posted it before, but I'll post it again. Dunn had a .973 OPS off left handed starters last year and for his career his OPS is higher off of left handed starters than it is right handed starters. If you sit him against lefties to start Konerko you are hurting the lineup.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:38 AM)
I've posted it before, but I'll post it again. Dunn had a .973 OPS off left handed starters last year and for his career his OPS is higher off of left handed starters than it is right handed starters. If you sit him against lefties to start Konerko you are hurting the lineup.

You are misinterpreting his numbers last season. He did have a .973 OPS in games the opposition started a LHP. He did not hit lefties very well . He cleaned up on RH relievers. Konerko was the opposite. If he comes back, Konerko can hit against the lefties and Dunn would be available if they switched. Granted, it's not a great solution, but playable, especially if you don't think the Sox really can win next year.

Dude, what the f*** are you talking about? You really need to double-check your facts on this one.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
You are misinterpreting his numbers last season. He did have a .973 OPS in games the opposition started a LHP. He did not hit lefties very well . He cleaned up on RH relievers. Konerko was the opposite. If he comes back, Konerko can hit against the lefties and Dunn would be available if they switched. Granted, it's not a great solution, but playable, especially if you don't think the Sox really can win next year.

I'd be perfectly happy platooning Dunn, but whose spot on the roster are you giving up to bring back Konerko?

Honestly, I think Keppinger would have to go if we bring back Paulie. And quite frankly, I'd much rather have Keppinger on my bench than Paulie. Both would play primarily against LHP, but Keppinger can technically play mutliple positions which is important with a four man bench.

I'll always love Paulie for what he's done for us, but giving him a farewell tour doesn't make much baseball sense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
Dude, what the f*** are you talking about? You really need to double-check your facts on this one.

He did actually have a .973 OPS against LH starters while putting up a .717 OPS against RH starters. However, he had only 110 plate appearances against LH starters compared to 497 PA against RH starters.

It's hard to say what his OPS would have been against LH starters if he had more plate appearances, but I would guess it would be lower.

Interesting stat, though.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)
He did actually have a .973 OPS against LH starters while putting up a .717 OPS against RH starters. However, he had only 110 plate appearances against LH starters compared to 497 PA against RH starters.

It's hard to say what his OPS would have been against LH starters if he had more plate appearances, but I would guess it would be lower.

You are wrong. Look at the numbers more closely. He had a .973 OPS in games he played where a LH started. Not a .973 OPS vs. LH starters.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)

He had a .681 OPS vs LHP in 142 PAs and a .786 OPS vs. RHP in 465 PAs last year. Those are his splits across the 607 PAs he had last year.

You're numbers suggest he never faced relief pitching, which tells me there is an interpretation problem here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:16 AM)
I'd be perfectly happy platooning Dunn, but whose spot on the roster are you giving up to bring back Konerko?

Honestly, I think Keppinger would have to go if we bring back Paulie. And quite frankly, I'd much rather have Keppinger on my bench than Paulie. Both would play primarily against LHP, but Keppinger can technically play mutliple positions which is important with a four man bench.

I'll always love Paulie for what he's done for us, but giving him a farewell tour doesn't make much baseball sense.

It's the 25th man on the roster spot. For the saberguys, that's generally a replacement level player anyway. A young player would be better off playing every day in Charlotte.It will tie Ventura's hands a little bit, but in the grand scheme of things, it won't cost the Sox wins. If Paulie wants to play for the Sox, it's the right thing to do. I still think he isn't coming back.

Edited by Dick Allen