Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
The MLB plan looked great to every one of their owners but somehow I think they forgot that the Japanese teams have some leverage here.

I still come back to my version of this...every team that bids is out the money they bid as a posting fee and the whole pot goes to the Japanese team. That way you don't have 29 teams bidding for the same guy.

Yeah but you would just have the teams with excess cash bidding. That eliminates all small market clubs from even bidding.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
They were counting on getting $40-60 million, and, as things currently stand, it would be just $20 million.

Looks like we're going to have a game of chicken over the next couple of years with the pitcher, his agent and the Eagles.

.....right....which is why I am wondering if they try to cut a deal with him to get some of the money from his contract as well, so let's say if he signs a $100M deal, they get another $20M on top of that $20M for the posting fee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
The MLB plan looked great to every one of their owners but somehow I think they forgot that the Japanese teams have some leverage here.

I still come back to my version of this...every team that bids is out the money they bid as a posting fee and the whole pot goes to the Japanese team. That way you don't have 29 teams bidding for the same guy.

That sounds like an awful idea, and only one that the Japanese teams would get behind. It would completely eliminate all small and mid market teams, and any big market team who is tight on cash. And then you could be talking a Japanese team making $200M off a player, completely giving that team a huge advantage over their fellow teams. I hate that idea.

Dylan Hernandez ‏@dylanohernandez 18m

Nikkan Sports is also reporting that Rakuten has decided to post Masahiro Tanaka (h/t @mfsinatra). http://bit.ly/1le49YY

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 26m

I just spoke w/an MLB source who believes Cubs will not be outbid on Tanaka. He also said convincing Tanaka to come to Chgo will be hard.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Dylan Hernandez ‏@dylanohernandez 18m

Nikkan Sports is also reporting that Rakuten has decided to post Masahiro Tanaka (h/t @mfsinatra). http://bit.ly/1le49YY

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 26m

I just spoke w/an MLB source who believes Cubs will not be outbid on Tanaka. He also said convincing Tanaka to come to Chgo will be hard.

Shocking, they posted him.

If Hahn beats Theo, I'll laugh my ass off.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
If the rumors of the upcoming bidding war on Tanaka are true its a scary thought how much his contract will be. The cubs and yanks are desperate enough to make this laughable for sox fans. Not to mention the Dodgers and Diamondbacks have interest too? Yikes!

Right now it sounds overwhelmingly like he will not be posted unless MLB changes their rules again. Their owner has virtually zero reason to sell this player for $20 million.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)
If the rumors of the upcoming bidding war on Tanaka are true its a scary thought how much his contract will be. The cubs and yanks are desperate enough to make this laughable for sox fans. Not to mention the Dodgers and Diamondbacks have interest too? Yikes!

Yeah, I think our chances of Tanaka are probably much lower than our chances for Abreu were. We had the Cuban connection as well as a lack of teams in need of a 1B. All 30 teams in baseball are in need of a potentially all-star SP. I don't like our chances, and I don't think we want to know what it would cost us to make it happen either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Right now it sounds overwhelmingly like he will not be posted unless MLB changes their rules again. Their owner has virtually zero reason to sell this player for $20 million.

Huh? Why do you think this thread just got bumped again?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/gold...iro-tanaka.html

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
lol...

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 1m

Now reports from Japan that Tanaka won't be posted, so now just hope your eggnog is spiked and there will be a decision when you wake up

LOL, that's really what i expect. I can't figure out why that team would send him over for only $20 million unless they're desperate for cash right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)

According to reports he will be posted.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Yeah, I think our chances of Tanaka are probably much lower than our chances for Abreu were. We had the Cuban connection as well as a lack of teams in need of a 1B. All 30 teams in baseball are in need of a potentially all-star SP. I don't like our chances, and I don't think we want to know what it would cost us to make it happen either.

Amen to that! I was thinking Hahn might jump in to drive the price up but I seriously doubt he'll need to for reasons you stated in your post. This is one for us to sit back as innocent bystander's and watch the madness ensue. Grab a beer Sox fans and enjoy!

Would love to have Tanaka but not for the speculated cost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
LOL, that's really what i expect. I can't figure out why that team would send him over for only $20 million unless they're desperate for cash right now.

Holy s*** that changed fast! :lol:

Talk about a classic game of Pong!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)

Well one reason could be they work out a side deal with him for a portion of his new contract, another may be they don't want a disgruntled superstar to cast a shadow over the team, and another may be they may not want to dissuade potential FAs from signing with them because their reputation is that they won't let players go over to the states if they want to.

I can see both sides of the conversation, which is why I think a side deal would make the most sense for both parties. But the sooner this saga ends, the sooner we'll know.

I'd like to know his contract situation in Japan. Do they have free agency there? All Tanaka has to do is leverage his ability to change teams in Japan. Say, "if you don't post me, I'll play one year for XX team and THEY will get the $20 million AND me pitching for them for a year"

Let the madness begin on this bidding war. Sox will stay on the sideline and that will be the smart thing to do. My prediction Tanaka will get a contract over $120-$135 million plus the $20 million posting fee. I believe it will go down to the Cubs and Yankees getting Tanaka in the end. For every Darvish their around 5 who don't even come close to fulfilling their expectations (Dice K, Irabu, Kaz Matsui, Fujikawa, the list goes on). This is when Theo gets way over his head and starts making decisions that isn't best for the organization. Before Theo left Boston, he signed the past 5-7 years and left them some of the worst contracts (Crawford, Beckett, Lugo, JD. Drew, Lackey, Dice K, Adrian Gonzalez, and Edgar Renteria) those are just off the top of my head. The common theme to all those deals is the ridiculous amount of years and dollars giving to these players. I do hope Cubs get Tanaka and again have another Soriano contract on their hands. Theo needs to learn and stick by what he's good at and that's player development. All of these long term deals that have been going out for the past 7 years have never panned out. Hahn has really impressed me this offseason and I'm sure he will continue his smarts by taking a seat on the sidelines to the crazy bidding war between the Yankees and Cubs.

Edited by PolishPrince34