Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
It is possible, but seems less and less likely as we move towards spring training.

Well, somebody, or two or three will be gone by the end of ST. Unless we're going to keep more guys at AAA than I think - Davidson, LGarcia AND Semien?

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
And Sanchez, so that no one plays everyday.

Yeah, exactly. Something's gotta give, still. Nothing major, necessarily.

I'd like to start with a pure dump of Kepp, but won't hold breath. He'll hit like Leury (without the baserunning skills) and defend like Tank (w/o the arm) - let's not try TOO hard to chase that $8.5M.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Maybe there's a way to creatively trade Kepp back to his old team the Rays where he flourished...

Kepp (and $4.25 million, half his salary, flexible utility player who has thrived in Tampa)

Viciedo (New DH Platoon w Joyce, occasional LF appearance)

De Aza (New CF)

Linstrom (New 8th inning/potential closer)

Quintana (New SP, LH, less pressure as a #4/5 guy)

Trace Thompson (Top 10 Prospect)

Scott Snodgrass (Top 10 Prospect)

To Tampa for

David Price (We sign him to a big extension)

Desmond Jennings (Move him to LF, Jennings/Eaton/Garcia OF)

A lot of players involved and I don't think Tampa would part w Price and Jennings for this, but I'd love to have Price and Jennings on the South Side. Thoughts? Could we put a package together for Price? Would he do well in the cell? My gut tells me no, but man can he pitch when he's healthy and rested.

#Karkovice2015

The problem with the whole Price-Rays relationship if you are an outsider is that no other team is going to be so willing to a) get Price everything he wants $$$ wise, and b) give the Rays everything else talent-wise. The Rays want to deal him for a haul & then Price wants probably $30M per over many years from the Dodgers or Angels or Yankees or Cubs or whoever. What team is going to pay so much just for a rental? And if you think you can sign him, and are willing to give up some talent to get him now, you're still probably going to be more comfortable calling the Rays bluff, showing a willingness to sign him outright rather than surrender a package similar to what the Rays got for Shields.

As far as the idea of trading Quintana for a guy we can't extend & who will only be here while we suck, I'd say that's probably not the best idea.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
Maybe there's a way to creatively trade Kepp back to his old team the Rays where he flourished...

Kepp (and $4.25 million, half his salary, flexible utility player who has thrived in Tampa)

Viciedo (New DH Platoon w Joyce, occasional LF appearance)

De Aza (New CF)

Linstrom (New 8th inning/potential closer)

Quintana (New SP, LH, less pressure as a #4/5 guy)

Trace Thompson (Top 10 Prospect)

Scott Snodgrass (Top 10 Prospect)

To Tampa for

David Price (We sign him to a big extension)

Desmond Jennings (Move him to LF, Jennings/Eaton/Garcia OF)

A lot of players involved and I don't think Tampa would part w Price and Jennings for this, but I'd love to have Price and Jennings on the South Side. Thoughts? Could we put a package together for Price? Would he do well in the cell? My gut tells me no, but man can he pitch when he's healthy and rested.

#Karkovice2015

So the Sox are trading a bunch of retreads and bad players for one of the best starting pitchers and a good young outfielder. Yes, I like this move you made. I am just wondering why it was not made in the Video Game Catch-All.

Honestly, the only guys they'd be interested in at all are Viciedo, Quintana, Thompson, and Snodgress, and the interest in those last two for Price would be minimal/throw-ins. Probably the same for Viciedo. They are going to want, primarily, nothing but prospects.

The only team I see a possible deal with is the Reds for De Aza. Weren't they close to a trade lost off-season? Well, I think CF is a hole right now for the Reds (assuming they want Hamilton to have some time in the minors to start the year. De Aza can bat leadoff and play center and can move into a platoon role with Ludwick when Hamilton comes up. Plus Ludwick is a free agent after this year and De Aza can just be the fulltime LF in 2015 (unless they sign another right handed cheap bat to platoon obviously).

EDIT: just looked at their top 20 and they didn't have any catchers there. We could trade for some pitching depth I suppose.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
The only team I see a possible deal with is the Reds for De Aza. Weren't they close to a trade lost off-season? Well, I think CF is a hole right now for the Reds (assuming they want Hamilton to have some time in the minors to start the year. De Aza can bat leadoff and play center and can move into a platoon role with Ludwick when Hamilton comes up. Plus Ludwick is a free agent after this year and De Aza can just be the fulltime LF in 2015 (unless they sign another right handed cheap bat to platoon obviously).

EDIT: just looked at their top 20 and they didn't have any catchers there. We could trade for some pitching depth I suppose.

After Choo signed, I thought I read somewhere that they're going to go with Hamilton this year. Maybe that's malarky.

I'd prefer to pay Big Funn and ADA almost $20 Million this year with Dunn playing somewhere else. I desperately want to keep ADA's bat in our lineup because I think he can be a dynamic player in the 9 hole. If he can take a step forward this year and put up a hybrid of his last 2 years, maybe .290/.370/.440 could be his peak?

I think the only way we can keep him is if Dunn is jettisoned.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
After Choo signed, I thought I read somewhere that they're going to go with Hamilton this year. Maybe that's malarky.

I'd prefer to pay Big Funn and ADA almost $20 Million this year with Dunn playing somewhere else. I desperately want to keep ADA's bat in our lineup because I think he can be a dynamic player in the 9 hole. If he can take a step forward this year and put up a hybrid of his last 2 years, maybe .290/.370/.440 could be his peak?

Oh I didn't hear about that regarding Hamilton. Honestly I'd prefer to move Dunn too. De Aza is a solid blend of speed and power, meaning he'll hit a few homers and not clog the bases. But I think De Aza is at his max value now and I think Dunn has potential to have some value towards the deadline.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
Oh I didn't hear about that regarding Hamilton. Honestly I'd prefer to move Dunn too. De Aza is a solid blend of speed and power, meaning he'll hit a few homers and not clog the bases. But I think De Aza is at his max value now and I think Dunn has potential to have some value towards the deadline.

Very possible. Now might be the time to trade ADA. I still think his hit tool could develop more because guys that prove they can hit MLB pitching tend to get a lil better after a few seasons of figuring it out and seeing all the tricks. The strikeouts scare me though because they clearly indicate there's a bit of a book out on him. But he's surviving despite that and found a way to hit 17 LH bombs and knock in 62 runs from the lead off spot. Adam Dunn lite lol

Would you rather take 2 De Azas or 2 Dunns?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Very possible. Now might be the time to trade ADA. I still think his hit tool could develop more because guys that prove they can hit MLB pitching tend to get a lil better after a few seasons of figuring it out and seeing all the tricks. The strikeouts scare me though because they clearly indicate there's a bit of a book out on him. But he's surviving despite that and found a way to hit 17 LH bombs and knock in 62 runs from the lead off spot. Adam Dunn lite lol

Would you rather take 2 De Azas or 2 Dunns?

2 De Azas easily

Left Fielders

Jeff Baker (33)

Jason Bay (35)

Brennan Boesch (29)

Chris Coghlan (29)

Trevor Crowe (30)

Sam Fuld (32)

Reed Johnson (37)

Laynce Nix (33)

Juan Pierre (36)

Derrick Robinson (26)

Delmon Young (28)

Center Fielders

Rick Ankiel (34)

Trevor Crowe (30)

Grady Sizemore (31)

Andres Torres (36)

Dewayne Wise (36)

Right Fielders

Jeff Baker (33)

Roger Bernadina (30)

Brennan Boesch (29)

Tyler Colvin (28)

Trevor Crowe (30)

Nelson Cruz (33)

After Nelson Cruz, DeAza would be the best FA on the market were he on this list. Maybe after Cruz signs interest picks up.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)

Yeah I'd do that too. Viciedo/Abreu splitting time between 1B/DH with Viciedo also capable of playing LF while DeAza serves as the full-time LF just makes too much sense. And not that it matters but I think it makes us a better team. Most importantly we'd be giving AB to the right players.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)

I think that if you trade DeAza you just look for BPA in trade talks. That may sound obvious but I think Hahn was looking for "fit" both out of Santiago and Reed, yet I don't think there would be enough demand to insist on the same in return for DeAza.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
I think that if you trade DeAza you just look for BPA in trade talks. That may sound obvious but I think Hahn was looking for "fit" both out of Santiago and Reed, yet I don't think there would be enough demand to insist on the same in return for DeAza.

Boston is looking for another outfielder. Send them DeAza straight up for Ryan Lavarnway. He is blocked by AJP and Ross but would be an improvement over last year's catching disaster.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Not often that you get Sox tidbits from Sneed, but check out the end of this column about KW and Thomas. KW making some international trips....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/2484383...ll-of-fame.html

Thoughts and speculation?

He's just doing his job. Kenny has gone back to his scouting/player development roots a bit with his promotion. Funny how much hate Kenny got here and how much "better" everything is going to be under Hahn, but yet Kenny was the farm director the last time the Sox had a highly-ranked farm system & he's going to provide a lot more input on our system now than he had in the past. And IMO that's a good thing.

May is/was in Australia, so he's probably watching that guy and/or dealing with something related to that team. We're maxing out our INTL budget next year & Kenny's certainly down there watching guys and talking to people. Tanaka will be in LA, but I wouldn't be shocked if Kenny's talking to the Dodgers too. I bet Kenny would love to get Kemp in here (obviously a subsidized version) and who knows what else? Dee Gordon is available I'm sure, he was highly rated recently and is a SS. Kenny's just out there gathering intelligence & laying groundwork for things.

Kemp seems to be speculation more than anything. He's 29, owed ALOT of money and has battled injuries the last two seasons which seems to go against what the Sox are doing. Also, adding ANOTHER right handed power bat to a lineup that desperately needs power from the left side doesn't make much sense.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
He's just doing his job. Kenny has gone back to his scouting/player development roots a bit with his promotion. Funny how much hate Kenny got here and how much "better" everything is going to be under Hahn, but yet Kenny was the farm director the last time the Sox had a highly-ranked farm system & he's going to provide a lot more input on our system now than he had in the past. And IMO that's a good thing.

May is/was in Australia, so he's probably watching that guy and/or dealing with something related to that team. We're maxing out our INTL budget next year & Kenny's certainly down there watching guys and talking to people. Tanaka will be in LA, but I wouldn't be shocked if Kenny's talking to the Dodgers too. I bet Kenny would love to get Kemp in here (obviously a subsidized version) and who knows what else? Dee Gordon is available I'm sure, he was highly rated recently and is a SS. Kenny's just out there gathering intelligence & laying groundwork for things.

Fair enough, do not disagree with your assessment, but it was interesting with the speculation. It is exciting that the Sox are players on the international market, this new CBA rocks for us Sox fans.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I have noticed that as well. They have a bunch of retreads coming to camp with them. A guy who would make a lot of sense would be an Eric Chavez type. I believe Chavez signed back with the D-back. We have Conor Gillaspie. He's kind of like Chavez. He doesn't field as well or hit as much but he is LH and he stands by 3B.

Gillaspie and De Aza for a scrub