2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
No, there is only one basic console for $399. Anything above that would be add ons (extra controller, a game, a PSN membership) or someone trying to make a profit.

OH~!

Good thing I asked before spending way more then I need to :)

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
Has anyone ever played Gone Home? I don't usually play PC games, but this one seems really cool.

Yes. I liked it, but then again, I only paid $5 for it during a big Steam sale. If I had paid the normal price ($20?), I would have been irritated due to its very short length.

Also note that it is more of an interactive narrative than a game.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Yes. I liked it, but then again, I only paid $5 for it during a big Steam sale. If I had paid the normal price ($20?), I would have been irritated due to its very short length.

Also note that it is more of an interactive narrative than a game.

I got it through Humble Bundle for $5 and enjoyed it as well. I didn't think it was as great as some reviews I read, but it's well done for what it is.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
I saw a ton of great reviews about it online. From the video's I saw it does look like a fun game.

For the longest time I just played GTA 4 without doing the missions and just causing havoc. I really enjoyed the story and seeing what happened to Niko and Roman in that game.

Many people didn't enjoy Niko and Roman. I thought it was different and it wasn't so bad. I did like some of the characters. You should really play The Ballad of Gay Tony for that game. Very very fun. As far as GTAV, I play as much as I can. Hard with two kids, one being a newborn. It's the only game I pick up and play though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 1, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
Many people didn't enjoy Niko and Roman. I thought it was different and it wasn't so bad. I did like some of the characters. You should really play The Ballad of Gay Tony for that game. Very very fun. As far as GTAV, I play as much as I can. Hard with two kids, one being a newborn. It's the only game I pick up and play though.

I didn't mind the storyline for GTA 4, but I HATED the lack of checkpoints for missions. After about the 5th time retrying a 15-minute long mission, I quit that f***ing game.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man. So finished Bioshock Infinite tonight. First off, great ending. I still dislike those types of games, but solid story. I had to read up about the ending for about an hour to fully grasp it. Good story.

Anyway, the game that brings me here right now is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Holy amazeballs this game is cool/hilarious. I'm sure you all know by now that Far Cry 3 was one of the best games on "old gen". Amazing storyline and characters, and a fair amount of humor. This f***ing "expansion" game though. Oh man, hilarious. I am cracking my ass up playing this game, and the gameplay is fun to boot.

All I know in my 15 minutes of playing so far is that the game takes place in an 80's-style setting (In the future, but 80s music/colors/graphics), and you are a half man/half machine killing other cyborg-soldier type guys. Not sure the overall goal yet, but I'm sure it will be cool. Phil Lamar lends his voice to your sidekick "Spider". The game is full of making fun of 1980s things and video games in general. The tutorial is a joke on itself, annoyingly prompting you over and over and over again, acknowledging how annoying the tutorial is and saying things like "Press X to make this screen go away", and stuff. And then the dialogue and "tips" in the game are great too. Here are some of the either On Screen tips, or some of the loading screen comments....

"The Grenade Takedown skill robs families of any hope of ever identifying their loved ones. Are you happy now?"

"When you crouch, you can "teabag" enemies, which is dropping your cyber-scrotum in their mouths."

"That last cyber-soldier you killed? He just beat cancer and had one week left to retire. Hope you're proud of yourself."

"When you earn enough Cyborg-Points (CP) we sacrifice a puppy in your honor."

You get the idea. The game is like $2.50 for PS+ users, and I think like $15 for everyone else? So if you aren't a member, you may as well pay the $10 for the month, get the game to save $2.50, and then enjoy all the other free games available with PS+. Either way, GET THIS GAME.

Alright. I tossed Kilzone on eBay and picked up Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. I'm excited to play that tonight.

The original Tomb Raider was one of the best video game experiences I ever had. I played it on my Sega Saturn, and I still remember the first time a wolf attacked me it freaked me the f*** out (I was 13). The T-Rex in the coming levels was wicked, too.

Then a buddy and I got really into some of the sequels.

So yeah, hopefully this game stacks up with puzzles and fright.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Alright. I tossed Kilzone on eBay and picked up Tomb Raider Definitive Edition. I'm excited to play that tonight.

The original Tomb Raider was one of the best video game experiences I ever had. I played it on my Sega Saturn, and I still remember the first time a wolf attacked me it freaked me the f*** out (I was 13). The T-Rex in the coming levels was wicked, too.

Then a buddy and I got really into some of the sequels.

So yeah, hopefully this game stacks up with puzzles and fright.

You're not gonna be disappointed. The PS3/360 version was gorgeous in its own right and looks incredibly dated next to the DE.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
Has anyone noticed how little effort always goes into the back of a video game package? There's rarely any design element, just a couple screen shots and some words. It's funny how lame they look.

It's like 30% what you mentioned and 70% warnings,disclaimers,and credits.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
Has anyone noticed how little effort always goes into the back of a video game package? There's rarely any design element, just a couple screen shots and some words. It's funny how lame they look.

I miss well designed cases and packages that included maps, manuals, and well designed boxes.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Anyone play "Outlast" for the ps4? Holy hell is it terrifying.

I've found playing it like this helps.

I called the dude in the basement "Sniffles the Ghost Seeker" since he sniffs around for you and says "another ghost gone to heaven" when you hide.

THEN I PUT THE MOVES ON HIM.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2930269:date=Feb 7, 2014 -> 10:19 PM:name=Steve9347)-->
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
<!--quotec-->Wow. Tomb Raider.

It's great so far, and it's also visually stunning. Nice to see it's no port, and made for next Gen.

that was probably my fave game of the year.

also:

That's awesome.