2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
A lot of Xbox users are going to save some money. 2K baseball was just horrendous.

I tried it one time. I plan on buying a PS4 probably around the time Fallout 4 comes out, but frankly the only reason I bought that was to save money on NBA 2k12. That game is still money too.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 07:51 PM)
I'm not sure I understand this. So you want to play a game at home on your phone in the same place your console is? How are you going to control a game on your phone?

With on-screen controls? This is exactly what Remote Play does on the PS Vita.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
With on-screen controls? This is exactly what Remote Play does on the PS Vita.

I guess on-screen controls could work. Seems like that would be tough. Also, the Vita has buttons and dual joysticks so that's most of the controls. Only the L2/R2 buttons are touch.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
I guess on-screen controls could work. Seems like that would be tough. Also, the Vita has buttons and dual joysticks so that's most of the controls. Only the L2/R2 buttons are touch.

You could always connect a PS3/PS4 controller. Those are bluetooth devices and will actually work with most games if you just plug it into your phone/tablet.

Or there's an app that'll connect it for you via bluetooth. Sony can easily implement that if they really wanted to.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
You could always connect a PS3/PS4 controller. Those are bluetooth devices and will actually work with most games if you just plug it into your phone/tablet.

Or there's an app that'll connect it for you via bluetooth. Sony can easily implement that if they really wanted to.

That's a good point. I didn't event think about how the controllers are bluetooth. You could play all the great Playsation games on your PC with a wireless PS3/PS4 controller in your hands, which makes it quite literally a portable playstation. Hello, long plane rides.

So one reason I love console games more than PC games, despite my preference for keyboard/mouse over a controller: not having to spend hours "fixing" a game that I just downloaded. I got the Max Payne 3 package deal from Amazon for 6.99 last week. After taking a full day to download, I was excited to play it last night. I click on the shortcut and boom, immediate failure. Something about not being able to find a game key. Literally 2 hours of internet searching and basically hacking my way into the game later, I was able to play it. By then it was 11pm and I had no more energy.

With a console you stick the disc in and play. No bulls***.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)
That's a good point. I didn't event think about how the controllers are bluetooth. You could play all the great Playsation games on your PC with a wireless PS3/PS4 controller in your hands, which makes it quite literally a portable playstation. Hello, long plane rides.

I read a story last night that a ps3 controller is mandatory for it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 04:18 AM)

I have a Moga controller that I got for free and it works fine for most games. I haven't tried a PS3 controller yet, mostly because the Sixaxis app to connect it wirelessly costs $3 on the Play Store.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
So one reason I love console games more than PC games, despite my preference for keyboard/mouse over a controller: not having to spend hours "fixing" a game that I just downloaded. I got the Max Payne 3 package deal from Amazon for 6.99 last week. After taking a full day to download, I was excited to play it last night. I click on the shortcut and boom, immediate failure. Something about not being able to find a game key. Literally 2 hours of internet searching and basically hacking my way into the game later, I was able to play it. By then it was 11pm and I had no more energy.

Speaking of Max Payne 3. I bought it back in October when Rockstar was doing a "Preorder GTA 5 and get 75% off all Rockstar games". So I bought it for like $5 back then. I've played the game once and never since. The controls were just too weird and the "play 5 minutes, watch 5 minutes" aspect never got me involved in the game. I think I played for about 2 hours.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Speaking of Max Payne 3. I bought it back in October when Rockstar was doing a "Preorder GTA 5 and get 75% off all Rockstar games". So I bought it for like $5 back then. I've played the game once and never since. The controls were just too weird and the "play 5 minutes, watch 5 minutes" aspect never got me involved in the game. I think I played for about 2 hours.

Max Payne 3 was awesome. It was one of the better games I've played recently.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

In the 10 minutes I played, I fear that I will have the same issue. I just don't have the patience to get into games like I used to. I need to get in and out.

It's really sad growing old and losing that video game love. I used to be able to play WoW or SimCity or whatever for hours and hours on end. Now I can barely sit for an hour.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
In the 10 minutes I played, I fear that I will have the same issue. I just don't have the patience to get into games like I used to. I need to get in and out.

It's really sad growing old and losing that video game love. I used to be able to play WoW or SimCity or whatever for hours and hours on end. Now I can barely sit for an hour.

Oh, I can still game for hours on end. Like I said in this thread, I was playing the s*** out of Grid 2. Playing like 3+ hours of it every night. But with Max Payne 3 I felt it was too much just sitting and watching a storyline that I didn't care about. At least in GTA 5 the storyline was funny and really cool. And in AC4, I knew the backstory. But I don't know, maybe I'll go back and play some more of it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
I love anything that pushes The Show to be even better. I feel they got a little complacent the past couple years because they know 2K baseball was never going to cut in to their sales.

I doubt this does anything.

It'll be like NBA Jam's return, not a full fledged game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)

I love PC gaming on Steam. I'm surprised more people don't give up their consoles. I can't imagine playing FPS games with a controller. That has to be one of the worst examples of recent titles though, since it requires all this just to get up and running: "Steam account required for game activation and installation. Initial activation requires internet connection and a valid Rockstar Social Club account (13+ to register); Online play requires log-in to Rockstar Social Club (13+); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap; DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)."

Generally, you just pop in a Steam code and download and play. Also you can't beat Steam sales.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

Nintendo had a poor quarter for their home console and they are thinking about "a new way to go about business". On the bright side hopefully they don't have 150 million to throw at a certain Japanese pitcher. They may can their CEO

3DS was the top selling console of the holiday season and 2013.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
I love PC gaming on Steam. I'm surprised more people don't give up their consoles. I can't imagine playing FPS games with a controller. That has to be one of the worst examples of recent titles though, since it requires all this just to get up and running: "Steam account required for game activation and installation. Initial activation requires internet connection and a valid Rockstar Social Club account (13+ to register); Online play requires log-in to Rockstar Social Club (13+); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap; DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)."

Generally, you just pop in a Steam code and download and play. Also you can't beat Steam sales.

It's still a Steam issue though, that's the thing. Steam apparently keeps claiming that it's Rockstar's fault for not providing enough game keys, but that's not stopping them (or Amazon, their partner) from selling the games. In other words, they're selling a game that they know their customers can't obtain a key for; a key that is required to play the game, even offline.

I buy a ton of games through Steam, so it's not like I hate them, but in this instance they're a huge fail.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Nintendo had a poor quarter for their home console and they are thinking about "a new way to go about business". On the bright side hopefully they don't have 150 million to throw at a certain Japanese pitcher. They may can their CEO

3DS was the top selling console of the holiday season and 2013.

They need to simply make games for other systems. A Mario game that was available across all platforms would outsell the world.