2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOA finale was a little predictable...the previous episode was better, although the scene with his kids and Nero was pretty heartbreaking...along with Chibbs' reactions throughout the final few episodes.

Losing Bobby and Opie really wiped out the heart of their gang...there was almost nobody left standing in the end, which is kind of the point of that outlaw/criminal lifestyle...eventually it catches up with you, the "bad guy always loses in the end," as he so eloquently put it.

There was another reference to the Original Redwood/First 7 in his back and forth with the DA (CCH Pounder). She's on NCIS: New Orleans now...first time I saw her was ER, one of my favorite 90's shows.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Homeland

Trying to figure out what trick the Ambassador's husband has up his sleeve after not using the belt. Also I like Quinn too much, he better not get himself killed. And I have to imagine Lockhart is done as CIA director. He just handed the most wanted terrorist on the planet a list of all of the CIA's assets in Pakistan. WHAT?

I'd imagine they just wanted to show that Duck Phillip's is indeed the giant p**** he was all season long. I don't believe he has another play in him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
So SOA is done. It had its moments and hope for a prequel.

It never achieved the heights reached in Season 1. The show, unfortunately, became more of a joke than a serious program over the years. Also, they really killed it for me with the constant 1.5 hour episodes.

That said, I'm switching back to Comcast on Saturday which means I can actually use apps like FX, Watch ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc and all that s*** DirecTV won't agree to, so finishing off this season (got about 3 eps in) will probably happen at the gym.

I thought SOA wrapped up pretty well. There was nothing shocking in the episode. Although I liked how

Barosky and Marks were dispatched quickly without the usual planning and build-up.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

I just watched four seasons of Prison Break and really enjoyed it until about midway through Season 3.

The final season's just not up to par.

For whatever reason, it was one of the most popular, if not #1, American t.v. shows in China at that time....every woman in her 20's or 30's knows who Michael Scofield is...and Lincoln Burrows, and even Sucre.

Of course, they're always disappointed when I tell them he later came out of the closet. Interesting actor/career. Didn't realize he'd gotten involved in writing screenplays and directing (Stoker). He even went so far as writing them under a false/fake name so they would be divorced from everything he's done as an actor.

I think the first time I remember seeing him was a show called Boston Public.

Ok, so my wife and I caught up with Homeland last night. While exciting/gripping, it was so unbelievably stupid and unrealistic. That's what made the first season or two great - you could actually believe that kind of thing would happen. This season? Not so much.

A few issues here:

The husband of the ambassador walking around the embassy, entering whatever door he pleases? Including private rooms? Please.

A tunnel magically open to the outside world that isn't guarded or monitored at all (and apparently outside of the embassy walls?)? Please.

Working with the Pakistani government (or even factions of the government) who are knowingly aiding and abetting the most wanted terrorist in the world? Please.

Having a list of our assets in some unprotected form like a piece of paper? Please.

And of course that's ignoring the greatest "wtf, yeah right..." - that the terrorist planned this all (per Carrie to Saul).

So he planned to have Pakistani intelligence give the CIA station chief targets (killing his own family/people), which would then precipitate that CIA station chief being "outed" (even though he wasn't within the CIA itself until after he died), which would then result in a public murder, planned of course, which would then force Carrie to become the new station chief, which would require her to call Saul and bring Saul to Pakistan as a private security employee, which would allow for his capture (btw, this all requires that the CIA would notice the guy in the crowd with the ear piece and start an investigation that Saul would become a part of), which would result in a prisoner exchange, which would then set up an attack, which would draw every single military officer away from the embassy, but one, apparently, which would leave the embassy open for attack (i'm sure that's standard protocol).

All of that pre-planning dependent, of course, on the terrorist-supporting Pakistani intelligence woman getting the ambassador's husband to steal information for them (such as the tunnel) which supposedly was not known about until after Saul was captured, but was always part of the plan to infiltrate the embassy?!

WHAT. THE. f***.

Having said all that, i'm very excited that Quinn is going full-Bond mode (knowing that i'll have to suppress and ignore the fact that he's white and would be outed in Pakistan within a day) and look forward to the upcoming episodes!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
It never achieved the heights reached in Season 1. The show, unfortunately, became more of a joke than a serious program over the years. Also, they really killed it for me with the constant 1.5 hour episodes.

That said, I'm switching back to Comcast on Saturday which means I can actually use apps like FX, Watch ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc and all that s*** DirecTV won't agree to, so finishing off this season (got about 3 eps in) will probably happen at the gym.

I thought SOA's Season 2 with Adam Arkin as Ethan Zobelle (?) was by far the best season........

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
I just watched four seasons of Prison Break and really enjoyed it until about midway through Season 3.

The final season's just not up to par.

For whatever reason, it was one of the most popular, if not #1, American t.v. shows in China at that time....every woman in her 20's or 30's knows who Michael Scofield is...and Lincoln Burrows, and even Sucre.

Of course, they're always disappointed when I tell them he later came out of the closet. Interesting actor/career. Didn't realize he'd gotten involved in writing screenplays and directing (Stoker). He even went so far as writing them under a false/fake name so they would be divorced from everything he's done as an actor.

I think the first time I remember seeing him was a show called Boston Public.

Wentworth Miller is Captain Cold in the new Flash series, and his Prison Break brother Dominic Purcell is Heatwave

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
Ok, so my wife and I caught up with Homeland last night. While exciting/gripping, it was so unbelievably stupid and unrealistic. That's what made the first season or two great - you could actually believe that kind of thing would happen. This season? Not so much.

A few issues here:

The husband of the ambassador walking around the embassy, entering whatever door he pleases? Including private rooms? Please.

A tunnel magically open to the outside world that isn't guarded or monitored at all (and apparently outside of the embassy walls?)? Please.

Working with the Pakistani government (or even factions of the government) who are knowingly aiding and abetting the most wanted terrorist in the world? Please.

Having a list of our assets in some unprotected form like a piece of paper? Please.

And of course that's ignoring the greatest "wtf, yeah right..." - that the terrorist planned this all (per Carrie to Saul).

So he planned to have Pakistani intelligence give the CIA station chief targets (killing his own family/people), which would then precipitate that CIA station chief being "outed" (even though he wasn't within the CIA itself until after he died), which would then result in a public murder, planned of course, which would then force Carrie to become the new station chief, which would require her to call Saul and bring Saul to Pakistan as a private security employee, which would allow for his capture (btw, this all requires that the CIA would notice the guy in the crowd with the ear piece and start an investigation that Saul would become a part of), which would result in a prisoner exchange, which would then set up an attack, which would draw every single military officer away from the embassy, but one, apparently, which would leave the embassy open for attack (i'm sure that's standard protocol).

All of that pre-planning dependent, of course, on the terrorist-supporting Pakistani intelligence woman getting the ambassador's husband to steal information for them (such as the tunnel) which supposedly was not known about until after Saul was captured, but was always part of the plan to infiltrate the embassy?!

WHAT. THE. f***.

Having said all that, i'm very excited that Quinn is going full-Bond mode (knowing that i'll have to suppress and ignore the fact that he's white and would be outed in Pakistan within a day) and look forward to the upcoming episodes!

I don't think everything was elaborately planned as such. Some of it was on the fly I'm sure. I think the Pakistani intelligence hatched the scheme and brought the terrorist contractors to conduct it. It's no different than what the CIA does. The general is probably is the only that doesn't seem complicit in the scheme. That tunnel was used by embassy personnel to slip in and out of the embassy without detection. You could argue about embassy protocol but then I don't really know how it works. I mean it makes for good TV that they were that inept.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Letterman's last show May 20, 2015.

As a longtime Letterman fan, I can honestly say it's been a terrible decline over the last 10 years, very much like Hawk Harrelson.

I honestly don't watch much late night tv much anymore. It's too formulaic. It was disappointing Dave fell into that pattern.

Though there are many great memories.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
The Newsroom finale was great. Season wasn't but the end was really good in my opinion.

I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. Only 6 episodes this season? I mean, come on...

I know Sorkin has other stuff to work on, but this entire season literally felt like it consisted of 2-3 major plot lines.

Homeland with another excellent episode last night. It didn't have the intensity that the past three did, but what a build up to the finale next week. And what the hell is

Dar Adal doing with Haqqani?

Since my wife and I have caught up on most shows that have gone on winter break, we've had the opportunity to go back and watch a bunch of stuff we'd DVR'd that looked interesting. We're watching Scorpion now. Great popcorn stuff. Nothing too serious, but good action and stories. And, if you pay close enough attention, you can actually learn some stuff when the nerds...I mean team are working out a case.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
The Newsroom finale was great. Season wasn't but the end was really good in my opinion.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 01:22 AM)
I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. Only 6 episodes this season? I mean, come on...

I know Sorkin has other stuff to work on, but this entire season literally felt like it consisted of 2-3 major plot lines.

By itself, I liked the finale a lot. But 6 episodes for a final season? Are you kidding me? There's just not time for plot lines to develop. It forced them to go from "Mac and Sloane are fired!" to "Here's the huge promotion, Mac!" with the only reason for it (Pruitt's women problems) being conjured out of thin air.

Homeland:

Holy s***, did not see that ending coming. What's he doing there? That was a fantastic cliffhanger.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
I honestly don't watch much late night tv much anymore. It's too formulaic. It was disappointing Dave fell into that pattern.

Though there are many great memories.

Letterman hasn't been good since he left NBC.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)

Carrie ruining the bomb was so predictable, which made me really made. Can someone remind me who the guy in the car was? Like what is his relations with the US?

First of all, yeah - you can always count on Carrie to ruin something. Second, that's the guy that was always meeting with Saul. From the Wiki - Dar Adal is a CIA black operations director, and an old acquaintance of Saul Berenson.