Credit Cards

Whitewashed in '05

I've had a very low interest credit card for years. Got it while I was in school and have been meaning to switch since I'm out of school and know myself that I won't go crazy with one and pay in full every month.

With that said, what are some good credit cards out there that you guys have good experiences with? I'm even willing to pay an annual fee if the rewards are good enough. I know there are restrictions with a lot of them so I'm just looking for the one with the best rewards or miles and low restrictions. I plan on researching this a little more within the next few days, but thought I could get some ideas from here.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
I've had a very low interest credit card for years. Got it while I was in school and have been meaning to switch since I'm out of school and know myself that I won't go crazy with one and pay in full every month.

With that said, what are some good credit cards out there that you guys have good experiences with? I'm even willing to pay an annual fee if the rewards are good enough. I know there are restrictions with a lot of them so I'm just looking for the one with the best rewards or miles and low restrictions. I plan on researching this a little more within the next few days, but thought I could get some ideas from here.

You can get the Chase Sapphire card for free right now ($125 fee after one year), but if you spend 3K in the first 3 months, you can get around $500 cash back.

There's the Chase Freedom card that gets you $200 cash back after the first $500 spent within 3 months. I got the Sapphire, but I sort of wish I got the Freedom instead.

American Express tends to have some of the best cash back cards, with 3% back on groceries and 2% back on gas. Discover usually does cash back categories every 3 months, including 5% back on all online shopping during the holidays, which is nice.

I'm really happy with my Chase Freedom card. Good cash-back rewards and no annual fee.

I'm considering getting a Delta SkyMiles Gold card too. I travel a lot for work and we fly exclusively Delta b/c of being in Atlanta, so it would make sense.

There are so many different credit card products to choose from, really you just need to figure out what you want to spend it on(travel, day to day purchases, electronics, etc) and go from there. Each product is designed to reward you in different ways, and there is a lot of different reward programs even within each type. Each company (chase, capital one, BoA) should have a site portal that will allow you to search cc products for research when you are deciding what you want.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
You can get the Chase Sapphire card for free right now ($125 fee after one year), but if you spend 3K in the first 3 months, you can get around $500 cash back.

There's the Chase Freedom card that gets you $200 cash back after the first $500 spent within 3 months. I got the Sapphire, but I sort of wish I got the Freedom instead.

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. This and the Freedom card are both good products, and it is nice that you essentially have a choice. If you use the card a lot (like I do, I pay all my bills with it that I can), and like travel, the Sapphire gets you a ton of rewards and is worth the fee. If you don't use it as much, the Freedom card has no fee but still decent rewards. I'd recommend either, just depends on how you use your card.

Some lady talked me into getting an Am Express/Delta sky miles card at the airport. I was in a weak moment where I had 3 hours between flights and she trapped me. Before I knew what I was doing I was signing up for the fricking card.

I got the card in the mail and don't want the card. It's free the first year then 50 bucks the following year.

Should I cancel it or just never activate the card?? Thank u.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 09:32 PM)
Some lady talked me into getting an Am Express/Delta sky miles card at the airport. I was in a weak moment where I had 3 hours between flights and she trapped me. Before I knew what I was doing I was signing up for the fricking card.

I got the card in the mail and don't want the card. It's free the first year then 50 bucks the following year.

Should I cancel it or just never activate the card?? Thank u.

That's actually a credit score issue. You've opened the line of credit and closing it will only hurt. BUT the impact may be negligible and might recover quickly since it wouldn't impact you length of credit history. If you aren't making any major purchases that require your score to be at a certain level any time in the next 6 months, then probably close it.

First thing to do is check your credit score and see if it is helping your score. If so, you may want to keep it.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
That's actually a credit score issue. You've opened the line of credit and closing it will only hurt. BUT the impact may be negligible and might recover quickly since it wouldn't impact you length of credit history. If you aren't making any major purchases that require your score to be at a certain level any time in the next 6 months, then probably close it.

First thing to do is check your credit score and see if it is helping your score. If so, you may want to keep it.

You can also call them to cancel. More likely than not, they'll waive the fee.

I cancelled two of my cards last year and consolidated my credit limit into one card. That was a huge mistake. My score dropped significantly because I had those cards for a few years at least.

I am thinking about raising the limit of my current card even more. Do you credit score peeps think that will help and how long will it take for it to recover?

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred. It gets good rewards on the things I spend my money on. If I don't like it in the first year, annual fee is waived the first year, I'll downgrade to the Freedom or might go Amex.

I thought there was a finance thread in SLAM?

This is what I have...I also went ahead and got a SWA Rapid Rewards Visa last year that came with 50k points....they run that promo a few times a year so you keep your eye out for it.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 05:25 AM)
Remember you need to opt-in for the rotating bonus categories every category.

So I opted in for that. What I can't figure out is, do you know if I have to opt in for my initial reward? I believe it's spend your first 500, get 100 back. I can find how to opt into that though. Is it just automatic?

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
So I opted in for that. What I can't figure out is, do you know if I have to opt in for my initial reward? I believe it's spend your first 500, get 100 back. I can find how to opt into that though. Is it just automatic?

Call and ask, make sure it is working how you want it to

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

It was automatic for me when I signed up a few years ago.